Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:08 PM

Author
Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews (Read 41,973 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 15, 2014, 07:51:31 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2014, 07:49:39 PM
a dude beats up an Alien.

As in.. hand to hand or.. with a blunt weapon?  :o

Hand to hand.

HuDaFuK

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2014, 07:54:10 PM
Hand to hand.

Please tell me it wasn't a Kung-Fu fight.. Either way.. just.. WHAT?!

Corporal Hicks

I wept. I wept so much. I had so very much enjoyed the first two thirds of that book. And I would recommend people pick it up if only to experience that.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 15, 2014, 07:59:43 PM
Please tell me it wasn't a Kung-Fu fight.. Either way.. just.. WHAT?!

Nah - nothing like that. Just a beating.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2014, 08:00:34 PM
Nah - nothing like that. Just a beating.

But wouldn't a Xenomorph be able to shrug off punches, even from a peak conditioned human?

Corporal Hicks

It should. Which is why it ruined the end of No Exit.

Corporal Hicks

We're gonna be doing a follow-up chat with Chris soon so throw your questions in if you've got any.

HuDaFuK

Why were the scenes from the Special Edition changed?

Who's idea was it to include the Newt's Tale scenes?

Perfect-Organism

Why the subtle, yet consistent changes to the text that characters say in the Aliens film?

predxeno

I forgot that River of Pain came out at the end of November instead of end of December. :(  Anyway, I just finished it and I have to say I LOVED how the story references not only the new Fire and Stone series but also that it stays true to the canon of Newt's Tale.  I know a lot of people like to pretend the EU never existed but I like to think that this is the story's way of reinforcing that it did.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 17, 2014, 08:59:07 PM
Who's idea was it to include the Newt's Tale scenes?

^This, when you interview the author.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Ask about the PDT stuff.

Also, I think others have mentioned the colonists having super-weapons, which doesn't sound like it gels with Apone's mention of "small arms fire" and improvised "seismic survey charges" - whose idea was that and why remove such an element which would have heightened the sense of desperation and tension?

DemonicD13

I would like to know his thoughts on the loss of communications with Gateway Station mentioned in the movie. Was the request for help blocked or somehow intercepted?

Any basic information on Brackett, How old is he, where was he born, Ect.

There are both Pulse rifles and Plasma rifles mentioned, do the marines have both or was it a typo. I have a hard time believing their were Phased Plasma rifles at Hedley's Hope.

Was the egg chamber and Jockey in the same area simple a mistake or did he have something else in mind their that we didn't understand?

Is their any plan of a follow up with Louisa and Brackett?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: DemonicD13 on Dec 19, 2014, 11:41:41 AMI have a hard time believing their were Phased Plasma rifles at Hedley's Hope.

In the 40 watt range?

Seriously though, good questions, I second them.

DemonicD13

Well no of course not in the 40 Watt range, that would just be silly.  :laugh:

Birth_Machine

Thanks for posting your review. I'm a third of the way through and don't see why every third chapter is a scene from the beginning of Aliens, which just seems like filler. At this point, the only people who are going to read these novels know the entire damn movie by heart. I understand interspersing the film's events into the narrative, but only if the juxtaposition offered something new, like Burke conniving and giggling maniacally to himself in his (comically dated 80's) office or Hicks revving up his vintage Trans-Am in a barn somewhere before getting the call to report for duty.

I don't intend to be entirely negative, because I agree with the 7/10 rating. Mr. Golden has a gift for imbuing his characters with depth while maintaining a brisk narrative pacing. The birth of Newt was something I wouldn't think we need to see as fans, but after reading the passage found it moving. One major gripe though: in Golden's timeline Newt is six years old, which means she either skipped a grade to earn that 2nd Grade citizenship award or someone didn't do their homework.

Also, one passage that stood out, and I'm paraphrasing: "He didn't earn the Galactic Cross just to deal with corporate stooges". A space setting doesn't necessitate placing a space prefix before everything. Did Brackett earn the Cosmic Bronze Star as well? I assume that the military, being stubbornly traditional, would still retain the medal names we have today.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed