Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Aug 02, 2019, 08:16:36 PM

Author
Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks" (Read 31,183 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Aug 14, 2019, 11:58:06 PM
As long as you don't look too closely at Newt being abandoned by both her 'parents'.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 14, 2019, 11:47:04 PM
People can say what they want, but as someone who lived through the time the comics were being published post newt and hicks, MANY people wanted what judge said.

Those three were going to become the bug killing jedi of the Alien verse.

I didn't have the years of attachment to the characters that people did.  I was when Alien 3 came out and didn't watch the sequels until I was ten and the original sometimes later.

So despite Aliens being my favorite movie for much of a decade, it still didn't quite kick me in the nuts like it did people who watched Aliens in 86 (I was one year old) and then waited 7 years for those characters to be killed off. 

True dis.

I'm talking purely from all the write in columns in the back of the individual issues that were unhappy about the Alien 3 deaths of Hicks and Newt. 

I think most people realized the comics were unofficial sequels, so they expected the film to rewrite the comics anyways (hence people not being that upset at that separation).  People were mad for years afterwards at Alien 3. 

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 15, 2019, 01:22:34 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 14, 2019, 11:58:06 PM
As long as you don't look too closely at Newt being abandoned by both her 'parents'.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 14, 2019, 11:47:04 PM
People can say what they want, but as someone who lived through the time the comics were being published post newt and hicks, MANY people wanted what judge said.

I didn't have the years of attachment to the characters that people did.  I was when Alien 3 came out and didn't watch the sequels until I was ten and the original sometimes later.

So despite Aliens being my favorite movie for much of a decade, it still didn't quite kick me in the nuts like it did people who watched Aliens in 86 (I was one year old) and then waited 7 years for those characters to be killed off. 

True dis.

I'm talking purely from all the write in columns in the back of the individual issues that were unhappy about the Alien 3 deaths of Hicks and Newt. 

I think most people realized the comics were unofficial sequels, so they expected the film to rewrite the comics anyways (hence people not being that upset at that separation).  People were mad for years afterwards.

I was too young to realize that the comics didn't really matter.  I thought what was written was what would eventually end up on screen in some way.  The let down was really something else.

Kimarhi

I didn't collect the alien issues until way after I had seen the films.

It has been really the only thing I have ever collected. 

Voodoo Magic

Yeah comics have never set my expectations in films but I guess it might fall that way if you're really young.

Perfect-Organism

Mark Verheiden understood best IMO where the series should go.  Mostly.  He built the character of Hicks into one of my favourite comic book heroes ever.

Corporal Hicks

And then Perry ruined him by having him come onto Newt.

Samhain13

Hey that was Wilks. Completely different guy.  :P

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2019, 03:04:34 PM

Wow, did that really happen?  I haven't read those novels in decades and I just don't recall that.  Was it a poor interpretation of Newt's dream in the first issue of the Beauvais series?

judge death

QuotePeople can say what they want, but as someone who lived through the time the comics were being published post newt and hicks, MANY people wanted what judge said.

Glad to hear this and Im not the only one who noticed that and yeah the comics also in late 80s and early 90s made Hicks and Newt and Ripley into anti alien heroes, maybe not a happy family but they always foudn eachother and went out on adventures together. oh well :P

Voodoo Magic

Unlike the mega fans like us, the majority of film fans of the world didn't turn to comics for continuing adventures though, and therefore had no such expectations.

It's always about execution. Even where kiddies are concerned, you can even kill off their beloved animal main characters and superhero main characters and the little folk will be fine with it, provided it's done well.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 15, 2019, 03:39:50 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2019, 03:04:34 PM

Wow, did that really happen?  I haven't read those novels in decades and I just don't recall that.  Was it a poor interpretation of Newt's dream in the first issue of the Beauvais series?

Yeah, I thought it was only a dream.  At least, it was when it was Hicks and Newt.  Maybe Perry changed it for Wilks and Billie?

SM

There's a very brief moment of sexual tension when Wilks and Billie are donning space suits on the Macarthur and Billie is having problems with the crotch plate.  I wouldn't call it a 'come on.'  It's an acknowledgement that both of them have been thinking about it.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 15, 2019, 02:24:20 PM
Mark Verheiden understood best IMO where the series should go.  Mostly.  He built the character of Hicks into one of my favourite comic book heroes ever.

Then he was restored to his rightful place as sidekick in Earth War.

Local Trouble

Did the novel include Wilks' opinion on the Sulaco's name?

SM

Nah.  The Female War novel often departs from the comic.

Local Trouble

I imagine the novel has better art too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed