Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 65,297 times)

Perfect-Organism

How did Big Chap officially die?  Floating in vacuum or burnt to a crisp with Narcissus rotors?

gabgrave

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 09, 2018, 10:57:03 AM
Didn't Tristan get ordered to alter it? That's why it looked different between the print and digital editions.
So basically the print edition has the D-Alien?

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 09, 2018, 03:45:28 PM
How did Big Chap officially die?  Floating in vacuum or burnt to a crisp with Narcissus rotors?

According to the script it exploded as it floated away.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 09, 2018, 04:00:45 PMSo basically the print edition has the D-Alien?

It's been so long since I read it, I honestly can't remember. All I know is they altered the design for the digital edition, while the print edition had the original version (presumably because it was too late to modify the physical copies).

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2018, 08:40:43 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 09, 2018, 03:45:28 PM

According to the script it exploded as it floated away.

I know it's OT, but canon is the film that hits the theatres right?  So which version was that?

SM

In the final shooting script Ripley blasts the Alien out of the wall with the flamethrower, it advances on her through the flames, Ripley opens the hatch and it's shot into space - but moving at the same speed as the shuttle just behind it.  She fires the thrusters and the Alien is "incinerated".

Despite the differences between the above (October 1978) and an earlier draft (June 1978 - below) and the final film, it's safe to say the people making the film wanted the Alien to be dead.  The final film can be interpreted as the Alien being dead or simply neutralised as a threat to Ripley.

EXT. OUTER SPACE

The burned mass of the Alien drifts slowly away.
        Writhing, smoking.
        Tumbling into the distance.
        Pieces dropping off.
        The shape bloats, then bursts.
        Spray of particles in all directions.
        Then smoldering fragments dwindle into infinity.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 11, 2018, 01:10:05 AMI know it's OT, but canon is the film that hits the theatres right?  So which version was that?

By all accounts, they fully intended to show the Alien exploding, it's just by the time they came to film the coda aboard the shuttle they were so critically short of funds they simply couldn't afford to do it.

Not saying that clears up what is canon and what isn't, but it least explains why the ending might come across as more ambiguous than intended (although I personally never thought it survived anyway).

HybridNewborn

I know I want dramatizations of Cold Forge and Bug Hunt (pick the ten best stories and do an episode for each of em), but by god I hope they dramatize Isolation as well.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Sep 18, 2018, 03:54:07 AM
I know I want dramatizations of Cold Forge and Bug Hunt (pick the ten best stories and do an episode for each of em), but by god I hope they dramatize Isolation as well.
One could argue that they already have dramatized Isolation, and it's the videogame 'Alien: Isolation'. :P

HybridNewborn

Oh you know what I mean :P

felix

Any official notice on when the Isolation novelization will be released?

No listing on amazon so far.

SM

January.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2018, 01:34:40 AM
January.

Excellent. I'm really interested to see where they go with this. Particularly in relation to the events before the arrival of Amanda, and some more information about what Waits, Samuels and Axel.

SM

I think perhaps go have another look at Keith's tweet.

cloverfan98

I apologize if this has been answered before but I'm a bit out of the loop with the current EU. Whats the deal with Amanda's appearance in Aliens Defiance? Was that before or after the events of Isolation? Where they trying to bring Amanda into more of the comics?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed