Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jul 23, 2015, 10:49:34 PM

Author
Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn? (Read 16,282 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:56:18 PMThat's true.  I guess it's just a personal thing that I can't help but find a little forced.  Like, why would you bring these two characters back to fight Aliens 30 years after they last did that?

Because the Aliens have been AWOL in all that time? It's not hard to explain away.

Corporal Hicks

PMs sent lads. Please keep the conversation to Alien 5. Thanks.

As to the 30 years thing...who knows? There's literally plenty of different avenues to take that story. They're on the run, the Derelict really was damaged beyond viability, etc. It's obviously to keep in line with real time but an in-universe explanation would be pretty damn easy I reckon.

Tyrell

I would not be interested in having the actors in this film be digitally de-aged. It would detract from the experience, at least for me, looking at the screen and knowing at all time that what I am looking at is not real. It is fine for a movie like Planet of the Apes, because there really isn't much choice, but when it comes to real people, I think it should be avoided as much as possible.

I also wouldn't mind if the story is set 30 years later than Aliens, so the age is not really a problem at all for me.

Jarac

Setting it 30 years later is easy as hell to explain. Been on the run, laying low, etc. Hell, Resurrection being set ~200 years in the future is absurd. It took them 200 years to clone Ripley successfully? No-one ran into the Aliens in over 200 years even though they clearly are still in Human space if you read the Titan book set after Resurrection?

Set it 30 years later to explain the aging and no-one will bat an eye. It's normal.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2015, 07:34:28 AM

As to the 30 years thing...who knows? There's literally plenty of different avenues to take that story. They're on the run, the Derelict really was damaged beyond viability, etc. It's obviously to keep in line with real time but an in-universe explanation would be pretty damn easy I reckon.
Hey remember AVP 2000 classic in the first level why not do something like that(remember)

Corporal Hicks

What about it exactly? Building a research center around the Derelict?

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2015, 06:28:06 PM
What about it exactly? Building a research center around the Derelict?
Yes like that and maybe a space jokey ship comes just leave out the predator elements would be kind cool to see the space station being invaded as well invasion on the ground seeing two events happening maybe the events of Prometheus 2 had something to do with it.

Corporal Hicks

Well if that early concept art is anything to go by we might be seeing something similar in Alien 5.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2015, 06:39:10 PM
Well if that early concept art is anything to go by we might be seeing something similar in Alien 5.
Hopefully but Neil did make some changes

RagingDragon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2015, 07:34:28 AM

??

It was about Alien 5. Strange post.

Anyway
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 27, 2015, 08:56:18 PM

That's true.  I guess it's just a personal thing that I can't help but find a little forced.  Like, why would you bring these two characters back to fight Aliens 30 years after they last did that?  Like, they woke up, briefed the government and company about the Aliens, and however the government or company chose to act upon these facts wouldn't be relevant enough to go back to these same two characters for 30 years?  I dunno, do you have a good idea for how Blomkamp's film would reintroduce these characters?

City Hunter's idea about hypersleep malfunction is something I've thought about too.  Once again though, it's still an explanation - a contrivance to explain something that, if this movie was made instead of Alien 3, needn't exist.

I absolutely do not think it should happen. The entire affair screams butt-hurt over Alien3, and I don't think there's any way to get around that. Maybe if A3 was the only film they'd made since, a sort of reboot/deviation from it would be better received, but the universe has moved on for better or worse.

Since they're determined to go with Ripley and Hicks, the best course of action I think given that dodgy scenario is to have a story where they stay their natural age. I would rather this plot-contrivance than a movie full of CGI de-aging.

It could be as simple as 'Alien 3 was a bad hypersleep dream, and the Sulaco somehow drifted for 30 years.' Maybe Weyland-Yutani caught up to the Sulaco and deactivated its beacons and systems and just set it adrift so that no one could find it? This would allow them to deny what happened without having to directly murder anybody or scuttle a ship, otherwise get their hands dirty.

Then the South Korean soldier could be explained by having the Sulaco being found by some deep, deep space exploration or military unit, or something like that. Maybe there was even an egg or something still aboard, but it went dormant when the crew entered hypersleep and wakes up when they're found?

I think that would be a lot easier to swallow than some insane digital de-aging.

Xenomorphine

If it's a direct sequel to 'Aliens', we have to remember it was Burke who did all the underhand stuff. The present management still might be none the wiser (another aspect which about 'Alien 3' which never really sit well with me).

As for Weyland-Yutani catching the Sulaco and sending it adrift... Why? Because an underling f**ked up?

How would they even be aware what happened at Hadley's Hope, let alone whether there were any survivors? Why wouldn't the Sulaco's automated weaponry kick in?

I know that 'Alien 3' had Bishop saying everything got sent back to "network", but that never made sense to me. It'd be like F-22s sending all their mission data back to Lockheed Martin, instead of the United States Air Force.

MrSpaceJockey

I really hope Neill or whoever's writing this understands and portrays Weyland-Yutani properly.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 28, 2015, 09:07:30 PM
I really hope Neill or whoever's writing this understands and portrays Weyland-Yutani properly.
Fingers crossed :-X

Xenomorphine

After another look through the available concept art, there don't seem to be any Weyland-Yutani symbols. They might not feature.

However, what's now of interest in the one of the Queen, is that the small wooden bridge seems to be of Asian architectural design... Another indicator of Korea somehow strongly featuring in this?

I don't think, that far into the future, it would just be a case of South Korea. My personal guess is that it'll be a united Korea (with the South having been the historical liberators/victors, going by that flag).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 28, 2015, 09:25:07 PM
After another look through the available concept art, there don't seem to be any Weyland-Yutani symbols. They might not feature.

I see the second image has been tagged as "[W]eyland-Yutani" Headquarters:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed