Alien: Alone – Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2019, 07:06:12 PM

Author
Alien: Alone – Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 33,879 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I enjoyed the premise, the dialogue is adequate, the acting is so-so but the premise, music and retro environment enhanced it.
Way, way, way above Night Shift.
It's charming.

Huggs

My final personal score

Harvest
Ore
Specimen
Containment
Alone
Night Shift

For such restrictive budgets, some of them did pretty good. Funny thing is, with the first letters of each short you can spell "NO CASH".  :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, half are more creative though,
I won't remember Harvest or Night Shift
in a few years.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 27, 2019, 01:40:57 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 26, 2019, 09:16:29 PM
Quote from: 0321recon on Apr 26, 2019, 05:18:11 PM
Totally dug this short.

My order is

Specimen
Alone
Ore
Containment

Harvest
Night Shift

Swap the first two around and that's my take.

Harvest is worse then Night Shift in my opinion, but otherwise I agree.

I don't think Alone is the best made, mind you (that's definitely either Specimen or Ore), but it is the most narratively interesting, has a great score, and some really nifty miniature work.

I agree with Alone being not being the best made, though the ideas were interesting.

Harvest...in my book is trash. Looking back, I'll swap Night Shift for second worse since the first half was well executed, and had the slice of life aspect going for it while Harvest...bad editing, meh cinematography, wooden characters, and sudden twist, and the magical egg on the lifeboat. 

Containment was the better executed trap in the ship concept. Pity that one didn't have the Xeno on it.

The Old One

The Old One

I mostly agree, mostly.

Night Shift's always last myself, it's "quality" special effect caused laughter.

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 27, 2019, 05:04:00 AM
I agree, mostly.

Night Shift's always last myself, it's "quality" special effect caused laughter.

Where was the quality special effect?

The Old One

The Old One

Exactly.
Spoiler
The birthed Alien.
[close]

Huggs

Well, it's good to have a solid example of what not to do.

It will come in handy if a show is ever pursued, which thanks to these shorts seems quite viable afterall.

The Old One

The Old One

The bloody techdeck commandeering Alien.

gabgrave

Really liked the idea behind this one! It was fascinating to see how a synthetic and alien can bond together. I felt that a few more script changes to make it more creepy would have been interesting, to show how corrupted the perception of the synthetic got at the end:
- Hey Mr Spider, come here
- Hello there, would you like to meet my friend, Mr Spider?
- Don't hurt Mr Spider!
- Let Mr Spider give you a kiss.
- Mr Spider became an angel.

Highland

Not bad, not as unique or as interesting as people are making out thought. It's a 10 minute covenant copy almost by the numbers.

Unsure about face huggers acting like dogs.

Specimen still miles above any of them. I'd sit this one in the middle.

Huggs

Any stage of the organism being anything less than outright hostile is a big no-no in my book.

These things ain't pets. Even David had his hands full with them in the novelization.

Nrmiller

I do absolutely love the range of reactions. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Huggs

Well it goes beyond the sacrilegious nature of the plot. Although it did go avp.

It has real issues in many departments. Acting, editing, cinematography, dialogue, etc.

Highland

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2019, 05:31:19 AM
Any stage of the organism being anything less than outright hostile is a big no-no in my book.

These things ain't pets. Even David had his hands full with them in the novelization.

It's possible that you could have shot it differently to imply the same thing, but the hugger slowly drumming it's fingers while you fill in your paint by numbers book was a smidge too far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed