Was Lambert raped by the Alien?

Started by Ellen Ripley, Nov 02, 2007, 07:42:37 PM

Author
Was Lambert raped by the Alien? (Read 223,780 times)

SiL

SiL

Scott said he wanted to make it Texas Chainsaw Massacre in Space.

I think in that regard he failed spectacularly (there is none of TCM's manic energy in Alien) but he did scare the shit out of some peeps that's for sure.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2021, 06:06:31 AM
Scott said he wanted to make it Texas Chainsaw Massacre in Space.

I think in that regard he failed spectacularly (there is none of TCM's manic energy in Alien) but he did scare the shit out of some peeps that's for sure.
Lambert's hysterics have nothing on Sally Hardesty's.  :D

TC

TC

I've never been a horror fan. I've never really been interested in Jason or Michael Myers or Freddy Krueger. The only reason I used to pick up the occasional Famous Monsters of Filmland was because I enjoyed the makeup effects side of things: the concepts and designs, the sculpting, the mould-making and casting, the painting and application of prosthetic pieces, etc.

For me, Alien '79's appeal has always been as science fiction. I don't class it as a horror film despite the fact that it has horrific elements to it—these things are merely the result of its science fictional premise. I feel the same way about The Thing and Predator.

OTOH, Event Horizon is the other way 'round; it IS a horror film, one that uses the trappings of science fiction to tell its story about supernatural biblical Hell. For this reason I don't have much interest in the film except for its technical craftsmanship.

The Exorcist, however, is a horror exception. I enjoy it because it's simply great filmmaking and great storytelling. Horror be damned.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre I've never sat down and actually watched, beginning to end. It has a certain credibility based purely on its historical notoriety, but that's about it. The same with Night of the Living Dead.

Horror per se, interests me not at all. But when the horror is there to flavour some other genre, notably science fiction, then it can work fantastically well.

Just my .02 cents.

TC

razeak

razeak

Quote from: TC on Oct 28, 2021, 03:39:03 PM
I've never been a horror fan. I've never really been interested in Jason or Michael Myers or Freddy Krueger. The only reason I used to pick up the occasional Famous Monsters of Filmland was because I enjoyed the makeup effects side of things: the concepts and designs, the sculpting, the mould-making and casting, the painting and application of prosthetic pieces, etc.

For me, Alien '79's appeal has always been as science fiction. I don't class it as a horror film despite the fact that it has horrific elements to it—these things are merely the result of its science fictional premise. I feel the same way about The Thing and Predator.

OTOH, Event Horizon is the other way 'round; it IS a horror film, one that uses the trappings of science fiction to tell its story about supernatural biblical Hell. For this reason I don't have much interest in the film except for its technical craftsmanship.

The Exorcist, however, is a horror exception. I enjoy it because it's simply great filmmaking and great storytelling. Horror be damned.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre I've never sat down and actually watched, beginning to end. It has a certain credibility based purely on its historical notoriety, but that's about it. The same with Night of the Living Dead.

Horror per se, interests me not at all. But when the horror is there to flavour some other genre, notably science fiction, then it can work fantastically well.

Just my .02 cents.

TC

I think the science fiction in Alien is merely the wallpaper. I think it's a horror film through and through.  I also think that something like Jason is more of a slasher film with some horror trappings. The blending of genres and the debates are never ending though haha.  Alien Horror with sci fi elements, Aliens  Sci fi-Action-thriller with horror elements, Alien 3 Horror/Slasher/ ummmm.....fatalism? 

Kradan

Kradan

Alien 3 is drama. On multiple levels

[cancerblack]

I do appreciate your take there razeak, but I feel like Alien can be fairly described as "proper" sci-fi up until the chestburster scene where it irrevocably shifts gear. It's both.

SiL

SiL

Alien is a horror through and through, from the foreboding music of the opening score to the classic dark and stormy windswept landscapes of gothic horror to the overt violence of the second half.

But it's also thoroughly a science fiction movie; you could transpose the gist of it to a fantasy setting, but it leans heavily into its scifi trappings for important details and to build the sense of foreboding.

Feels kind of weird to even try to separate the two. It's scifi horror at its best.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

A near-perfect blend of sci-fi and horror. ALIEN was a natural.

Stitch

Stitch

Alien, as had been said countless times before, is a haunted house story in space. It's both horror and sci-fi.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 29, 2021, 06:57:52 AM
Alien 3 is drama. On multiple levels

The Alien 3 of my dreams is even more dramatic:

An age-old vendetta between two powerful families erupts into bloodshed. A group of masked Morse risk further conflict by gatecrashing a Ripley party. A young lovesick Turk Morse falls instantly in love with Amanda Ripley², who is due to marry her father's choice, the Count of the Space Tree; A 9 foot bald albino from a far away lands. With the help of Amanda's syintetic nurse, the women arrange for the couple to marry the next day, but Turk's attempt to halt a wooden street fight with a penis-head monster, born of an elegant Borzoi, leads to the death of Amanda's own mullets-style cousin, Fifield³, for which Turk is banished. In a desperate attempt to be reunited with Turk, Amanda follows the Dwayne Hicks plot and fakes her own death. The message fails to reach Turk, and believing Amanda dead, he takes his life in her tomb. Amanda wakes to find Turk's corpse beside her and kills herself. The grieving family agree to end their feud.

In the post credits scene Ridley Scott appears smoking a cigar, while explaining why the traditional drama is cooked.

Kradan

Kradan

Neil Blomkamp, eat your heart out

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 29, 2021, 09:33:49 AM
I do appreciate your take there razeak, but I feel like Alien can be fairly described as "proper" sci-fi up until the chestburster scene where it irrevocably shifts gear. It's both.

I concur. Science Fiction to me can have strong horror elements, but you tend to get your breath taken away by the scenes of space, tech, architecture (like the Derelict interior with the Spacejockey).

Immortan Jonesy

I guess the OP's question has been solved:

Alien Covenant Shower Scene - Extended Death

Building Better Worlds

I've always thought of the tail penetrating her and slicing her in two vertically. Her weird groans over the intercom always conjure up the idea of her being diced to me.

SiL

SiL

You wouldn't be screaming if you got split in two.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed