Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 122,128 times)

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 12, 2018, 02:26:09 PM
Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 12, 2018, 03:15:21 AM
There's nothing in it that contradicts Alien³ or Resurrection.
Well other than
Spoiler
the existence of Alien eggs post-A3
[close]
which was SM's big sticking point on why the old EU "contradicted" Resurrection.
But I guess he's done a 180 on that position (and I couldn't be happier!). :P
Well, not quite.

Spoiler
River of Pain puts Ripley and the Marines arriving at Hadley's Hope and finding Newt on July 27th. The dated transmissions in The Cold Forge have the events taking place pretty much concurrently to Aliens, ending on the 28th of July 2179. So this is still prior to Alien³.
[close]

Ultramorph

For all we know
Spoiler
they imported them from Origae 6.  :laugh:
[close]

Xenomrph

Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 12, 2018, 04:13:27 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 12, 2018, 02:26:09 PM
Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 12, 2018, 03:15:21 AM
There's nothing in it that contradicts Alien³ or Resurrection.
Well other than
Spoiler
the existence of Alien eggs post-A3
[close]
which was SM's big sticking point on why the old EU "contradicted" Resurrection.
But I guess he's done a 180 on that position (and I couldn't be happier!). :P
Well, not quite.

Spoiler
River of Pain puts Ripley and the Marines arriving at Hadley's Hope and finding Newt on July 27th. The dated transmissions in The Cold Forge have the events taking place pretty much concurrently to Aliens, ending on the 28th of July 2179. So this is still prior to Alien³.
[close]
That doesn't really change anything. If the only known eggs left in the galaxy were on LV426 (evidenced by Perez's line about Ripley succeeding in wiping the Aliens out), then by SM's long-standing logic, The Cold Forge still couldn't have happened. If The Cold Forge's eggs were sourced from somewhere else, that opens the door for vast swaths of the EU that were once "contradicted" by Alien Resurrection.

Keep in mind, I am totally okay with this. I'm just pointing out that SM seems to be finally coming around on this concept, and that's great. ;D

Huggs

Huggs

Looking at it subjectively, I just imagined Wey Yu already had a xenomorph. Thereby allowing them to either egg morph, or wait for the creature to evolve into a queen and begin producing. The source of the eggs never really seemed like an issue to me. It's the company, they have em, nuff said.

To go out in left field, and just for the fun of it, I'd say they have a company owned hive already, like I assumed it was in the fan film Alien: Special Order.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 12, 2018, 03:26:01 PM
What does SM usually say when he's accused of making a 180 about that?

Something like this -> :laugh:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 12, 2018, 09:37:17 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 12, 2018, 03:26:01 PM
What does SM usually say when he's accused of making a 180 about that?

Something like this -> :laugh:
I'm glad SM is as good-natured about the change as I am. Welcome to the fold, better late than never! :D

Quote from: Huggs on May 12, 2018, 07:03:48 PM
Looking at it subjectively, I just imagined Wey Yu already had a xenomorph. Thereby allowing them to either egg morph, or wait for the creature to evolve into a queen and begin producing. The source of the eggs never really seemed like an issue to me. It's the company, they have em, nuff said.

To go out in left field, and just for the fun of it, I'd say they have a company owned hive already, like I assumed it was in the fan film Alien: Special Order.
Don't get me wrong, I'm right there with you on that. I like the idea that the Aliens are always lurking out there in the dark.

Local Trouble

Does this mean you're finally going to collaborate on the Grand Unification Project?

Xenomrph

I've been down with that for years ;D

Local Trouble

I never thought I'd live to see the day that SM finally succumbed to the allure of Xenomrphism.

SM

SM

Not even if you were lost in space for 57 years, then cloned 200 years later.

Corporal Hicks

Alex talks about where he imagined the eggs to come from in the interview btw.

Local Trouble

I had to turn it off when you said you'd start to talking about spoilers.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 13, 2018, 10:54:37 AM
Not even if you were lost in space for 57 years, then cloned 200 years later.
He says this, and yet here we are.
In the immortal words of the prophet Goldblum.... life finds a way. ;D

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2018, 11:41:06 AM
Alex talks about where he imagined the eggs to come from in the interview btw.
I'm a bit of a Luddite who hasn't fully come around on listening to podcasts, do do you transcripts of the podcasts? I'm sure they're a ton of extra work, and this is just me being selfish, but I just personally find it a lot faster to skim a transcript than to listen to a podcast in real-time.

If you don't do transcripts, I'll just have to commit and listen to the podcasts. Can I get them through iTunes?

Samhain13

In what year is this novel suppose to take place?

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 13, 2018, 01:46:10 PM
I'm a bit of a Luddite who hasn't fully come around on listening to podcasts, do do you transcripts of the podcasts? I'm sure they're a ton of extra work, and this is just me being selfish, but I just personally find it a lot faster to skim a transcript than to listen to a podcast in real-time.

If you don't do transcripts, I'll just have to commit and listen to the podcasts. Can I get them through iTunes?

The last podcast was posted on avpgalaxy's youtube channel.

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 13, 2018, 04:12:43 PM
In what year is this novel suppose to take place?
It takes place in 2179, largely concurrently to Aliens; as in, the same half-week that Ripley and the Marines are at Hadley's Hope.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed