Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,965 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I've never seen Lynch's Dune from beginning to end but Amazon has the upcoming 4K release and I'm tempted to blind-buy it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I firmly believe that we can thank Lynch's Dune for much of Warhammer 40k.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2023, 11:27:26 PMI've never seen Lynch's Dune from beginning to end but Amazon has the upcoming 4K release and I'm tempted to blind-buy it.

It's a mess, but a very interesting one. As a curiosity, I do definitely recommend it. It actually adapts the first half of the book (pretty much what was in Denis' first film) pretty well, though after that it tries to cram the remainder of the novel into roughly 40 minutes of screentime and ooh boy did it need some space to breathe there. Lynch also didn't seem to totally get (or, more likely, didn't seem to totally care about) some of the logistics of what's going on with the novel, namely the ecology of Arrakis and the nature of "prophecy" in this world (the rain sequence in his film is pretty funny if you know what that would actually do to the planet, the worms, and the spice in the books), and there's a lot of really stilted, awkward voiceover to convey exposition, lore, etc. but I can't really bring myself to dislike the movie, even with the film's many problems being as prominent as they are (and I totally get why Lynch would resent the film and the experience he had making it). It orbits this weird space between being a David Lynch movie and being a Dune adaptation and it's pretty much the worst example of column A and column B in that chart, but it's also this real anomaly that kind of has to be seen. It's a really neat, perplexing little oddity.

Also, the worms look phenomenal. Like, 1:1 like they came right off of the book covers. Carlo Rambaldi's work is impeccable there. His work on the Navigator is also excellent. The production design across the board is incredible.

Man, after talking about it I'm actually getting myself in the mood to revisit this thing again I think...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 25, 2023, 11:44:27 PMI firmly believe that we can thank Lynch's Dune for much of Warhammer 40k.

I don't know much about 40K outside of its overall aesthetic, but just visually... this does seem to track.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2023, 11:27:26 PMI've never seen Lynch's Dune from beginning to end but Amazon has the upcoming 4K release and I'm tempted to blind-buy it.

It's got everything Villeneuve's Dune hasn't. Heartplugs, weirding modules, boils and pugs.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 26, 2023, 09:06:05 AM

It's got everything Villeneuve's Dune hasn't. Heartplugs, weirding modules, boils and pugs.

All my favorite key details from the novel!

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

A cat you have to milk to get your antidote...

Wweyland

Wweyland

I was surprised the heart-plug scene had been removed from the Extended Edition. Maybe it was just censored in my version.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 26, 2023, 11:10:32 AMI was surprised the heart-plug scene had been removed from the Extended Edition. Maybe it was just censored in my version.

I haven't seen the extended version, but if I'm not mistaken I think that cut originally aired on TV so that might be why that particularly gruesome moment was censored? I know Lynch had no input on that extended version and doesn't recognize it as being his film.

Immortan Jonesy

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I am excited.

Villeneuve is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite directors.

Arrival, fantastic
Blade Runner 2049, fantastic
Dune part 1, fantastic

I am absolutely overjoyed that he's adapting 'Rendezvous with Rama', I've been waiting for an adaptation of that for like 20+ years, ever since David Fincher said he was going to do one with Morgan Freeman.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1651572039315083267

Tons of additional photos (including first looks at Feyd, Irulan, and Margot Fenring) in the article, too!

kwisatz

kwisatz

It's me - kwisatzworm

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Feyd Rautha:

At least he doesn't seem to look too much like M.Bison.

Margot Fenring:

Princes Irulan:

kwisatz

kwisatz

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed