Is the Alien Anthology still the best Blu-Ray Release of the movies?

Started by Inverse Effect, Jul 05, 2021, 04:43:11 AM

Author
Is the Alien Anthology still the best Blu-Ray Release of the movies? (Read 20,631 times)

Inverse Effect

Well i just got Aliens Quad, Prometheus on Blu-ray and Covenant on 4K.

When did the Quadilogy come out on blu-ray? it was on DVD for a good while if i recall

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Inverse Effect on Sep 26, 2021, 12:47:04 AM

When did the Quadilogy come out on blu-ray? it was on DVD for a good while if i recall

The Quadrilogy never came out on blu-ray. It was released on dvd in 2003. The blu-ray release in 2010 was the Anthology. If you've just bought yourself the Quadrilogy, you could have done better.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Inverse Effect on Sep 26, 2021, 12:47:04 AM

Keep the Quadrilogy set for the original aspect ratio for the four feature-length documentaries - they've been cropped (badly) for the Anthology set.

You NEED the Anthology set, which collects almost all the previous bonus material from past releases, also adding new features and previously unreleased outtakes (Burke cocoon, etc).

The ALIEN3 Assembly Cut has a further polished audio and image.

The original 1999 DVD release of ALIEN included the raw production audio - which wasn't carried over to either the Quadrilogy or Anthology sets.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 26, 2021, 01:02:31 PM
The original 1999 DVD release of ALIEN included the raw production audio - which wasn't carried over to either the Quadrilogy or Anthology sets.

I still watch that one occasionally, to enjoy the film's original colour timing and brightness, because I don't have the 4K yet.

Also, it's the ONLY digital release that has the film's wonderful poster art on the front.  :)

Elmazalman

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Sep 26, 2021, 01:06:52 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 26, 2021, 01:02:31 PM

I still watch that one occasionally, to enjoy the film's original colour timing and brightness, because I don't have the 4K yet.

Also, it's the ONLY digital release that has the film's wonderful poster art on the front.  :)
The 1999 DVD also shows more image, not being as tightly cropped as the later releases. I also like the colours and lack of black crush.

Darwinsgirl

If I'm not mistaken your referring to the ALIEN release from the ALIEN Legacy 20th Anniversary box set.

I still enjoy watching this. The menu with the Easter eggs. At times I put the score on and listen to it like a CD. It came with a screen saver that you could down load on to your computer. I hope one day it will be offered again for todays operating systems.

It also came with a promo sample of Legacy cards which I never opened.

The Blu Ray version is visually stunning (I don't have the 4K yet)   I watch this version the most.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Sep 26, 2021, 01:44:50 PM

If I'm not mistaken your referring to the ALIEN release from the ALIEN Legacy 20th Anniversary box set.

I still enjoy watching this. The menu with the Easter eggs. At times I put the score on and listen to it like a CD. It came with a screen saver that you could down load on to your computer. I hope one day it will be offered again for todays operating systems.

It also came with a promo sample of Legacy cards which I never opened.

The Blu Ray version is visually stunning (I don't have the 4K yet)   I watch this version the most.
Yes, but the films were also available separately to me. I had the R1 NTSC DVD of ALIEN and ALIENS. I also bought the ALIEN Legacy box set in 2000 (Australian release) and have the full card set (bought separately), from inkworks.

The Australian ALIEN Legacy release, happily, also included a bonus disc, the 60 mins documentary - that was available as a mail-away offer for the US R1 set.

When I first heard about the ALIEN films on DVD, I had to have the original film (my favourite). At the time (1999), I had NEVER seen the deleted scenes and outtakes from ALIEN, so was extremely excited on finally seeing the DVD.

I had completely missed the laserdiscs, never having owned any back in the day, but only years later - as second-hand collector's items. I was aware of the 1992 Special Widescreen Collector's Edition of ALIEN - which unveiled the deleted scenes and outtakes for the first time on home video. I had to wait seven long years until the DVDs.

I liked the animated menus for ALIEN, but they're a little slow these days - perhaps they always were?

I've mentioned this before, but I think the two guys behind the production of the Legacy set may have inserted an image of themselves subliminally into the menus screens. There's a very brief flash of a person's (indistinct) face as the text pops up on a menu screen.

When the films were released to Blu-ray, I was much more impressed with the bonus features (especially, the Enhancement Pods, containing addition outtakes and interviews) than the films, themselves. I didn't like the black crush, the tighter cropping - and - the teal & orange casts given to ALIEN & ALIENS.

The new 4K release is an improvement on the Blu-ray. The colours are more natural and not as saturated. And, best of all, the teal cast is gone. As an added bonus, the deleted scenes, from the DC, have been framed differently, showing more image (Lambert slap, etc) in some cases.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 26, 2021, 03:06:26 PM

Yes, but the films were also available separately to me. I had the R1 NTSC DVD of ALIEN and ALIENS. I also bought the ALIEN Legacy box set in 2000 (Australian release) and have the full card set (bought separately), from inkworks.

The Australian ALIEN Legacy release, happily, also included a bonus disc, the 60 mins documentary - that was available as a mail-away offer for the US R1 set.

When I first heard about the ALIEN films on DVD, I had to have the original film (my favourite). At the time (1999), I had NEVER seen the deleted scenes and outtakes from ALIEN, so was extremely excited on finally seeing the DVD.

I had completely missed the laserdiscs, never having owned any back in the day, but only years later - as second-hand collector's items. I was aware of the 1992 Special Widescreen Collector's Edition of ALIEN - which unveiled the deleted scenes and outtakes for the first time on home video. I had to wait seven long years until the DVDs.

I liked the animated menus for ALIEN, but they're a little slow these days - perhaps they always were?

I've mentioned this before, but I think the two guys behind the production of the Legacy set may have inserted an image of themselves subliminally into the menus screens. There's a very brief flash of a person's (indistinct) face as the text pops up on a menu screen.

When the films were released to Blu-ray, I was much more impressed with the bonus features (especially, the Enhancement Pods, containing addition outtakes and interviews) than the films, themselves. I didn't like the black crush, the tighter cropping - and - the teal & orange casts given to ALIEN & ALIENS.

The new 4K release is an improvement on the Blu-ray. The colours are more natural and not as saturated. And, best of all, the teal cast is gone. As an added bonus, the deleted scenes, from the DC, have been framed differently, showing more image (Lambert slap, etc) in some cases.

Were the crew files (Easter eggs) included in the single release?

I didn't know about the pics of the production guys hidden.

We shared the same excitement about getting the first film. I to own the laser disc of ALIEN bought second hand. I was given a player a few years ago but I don't own an old TV to watch it.

I must have over looked the mail in offer for the extra dvd.  :( 

I just checked eBay the Legacy VHS box set has the extra tape. Now I have something new to search for. The mail in dvd.

Thanks for posting about it!

Elmazalman

Yes, the Easter Eggs (crew manifest and Ash's communique's) are on the DVDs (both R1 & R4). They're also on the Anthology 6-disc set. They're a bit hard to read because of the annoying micro text used. Even on a 50 inch Plasma, they're tough to read.

I think it's just one of the production guy's. It can be seen when the disc is first loaded. The figure looks like he has a beard ... I don't think it's Dallas. It's very quick.

The 60 mins ALIEN Legacy documentary is also available as a 'bonus feature' on the Anthology 6-disc set.

Mr. Clemens

One thing that kinda bugs me about the Anthology: the digitally 'fixed' shots in Aliens (the chips in the medlab window, Bishop coming out of the floor, etc.) are snuck into the Theatrical Cut, as well. Not that I ever watch that version, but that kind of revisionist history makes me bristle a bit - by all means do what you like with a Special Edition, but the originals should be left alone.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 26, 2021, 04:57:18 PM
The 60 mins ALIEN Legacy documentary is also available as a 'bonus feature' on the Anthology 6-disc set.

I have seen it then as I own it and Quadrilogy. I will still search for it as I'm a bit of a completest. Though I do drawn the line if it's more than I feel it's worth. I have already looked on EBay for it.

Quote from: Mr. Clemens link=topic=65047.msg2541522#msg2541522 date=16326e77879
One thing that kinda bugs me about the Anthology: the digitally 'fixed' shots in Aliens (the chips in the medlab window, Bishop coming out of the floor, etc.) are snuck into the Theatrical Cut, as well. Not that I ever watch that version, but that kind of revisionist history makes me bristle a bit - by all means do what you like with a Special Edition, but the originals should be left alone.

I completely agree. They should be preserved so one can see how they were originally seen. I feel the same about literature. I've been fortunate to see ALIEN on the Big screen twice on 35mm film not a digital version projected on the screen.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Sep 26, 2021, 05:37:59 PM
George bloody Lucas, with his 1997 / 2004 / 2011, and now, 4K SE Trilogy abominations made revisionism fashionable. Now every Hollywood filmmaker with some level of clout wants to 'improve' on their earlier works.

Just look at the T2 4K release, with digital head swaps for Schwarzenegger's stuntman shots.

Spielberg said he wouldn't mess with any of his films (after E.T. SE), yet, the fishing line attached to the buoy in the opening attack has been digitally rubbed out. So has a sailboat in the background (where Quint cuts his hand on the rope, pulling in the barrel attached to the shark).

I greatly despise this sort of thing, along with newly rebuilt audio tracks that mess with original sounds and mixing levels, are a constant annoyance.

I was looking forward to The Thing (1982) in 4K. By all accounts, the video is a wonderful upgrade, but the new audio track is a great disappointment. UNIVERSAL, didn't even have the decency to include the original audio track. >:(

ebridwell89

ebridwell89

What is everyone's opinion on this set?

Alien: Quadrilogy [Blu-ray] https://a.co/d/6icSRpB

I had the collector's edition of the original Anthology release (the one with the collectible egg) but had to sell it for financial reasons.

I want to own them all again on physical discs and have a $25 Amazon gift card. Is it worth getting for the movies alone or should I get an anthology set off eBay?

Thank you!

Elmazalman

Quote from: ebridwell89 on Jul 22, 2022, 04:39:31 AMWhat is everyone's opinion on this set?

Alien: Quadrilogy [Blu-ray] https://a.co/d/6icSRpB

I had the collector's edition of the original Anthology release (the one with the collectible egg) but had to sell it for financial reasons.

I want to own them all again on physical discs and have a $25 Amazon gift card. Is it worth getting for the movies alone or should I get an anthology set off eBay?

Thank you!

This release doesn't have the two bonus discs - if you're into value-added material - get that release, instead.

I had the limited egg release in 2010. It's butt ugly - I threw the egg away - and kept the cardboard fold-out packaging. It's small and very compact. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed