Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,224 times)

SiL

Newt being a head case kind of makes sense, but clearly isn't suggested by the end of Aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jul 26, 2016, 09:35:17 AM
Newt being a head case kind of makes sense, but clearly isn't suggested by the end of Aliens.

I suppose that could have just taken time to sink in. Ripley seemed pretty alright at the very end of Alien when she was recording her log.

If I remember rightly though, Newt's more severe damage was caused by the attempt to wipe her memories of the incident rather than the actual encounters themselves.That might have just been in the novelization though.

Personally I'd like to see more of that kind of thing. I know it's there in Ripley throughout the 3 films but she rises above it pretty well. I'd like to see it take a stronger toll on someone.

bboo

you really think people want to see a 44 year non actor school teacher and  70 year old woman run around with a flame thrower fighting aliens making out with a 64 year old dude...   not going to happen people.

PsyKore

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 25, 2016, 09:47:21 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 24, 2016, 09:39:20 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jul 24, 2016, 04:10:17 AM
and also stated that AvP was better then Alien 3 and A:R.

Where did he say this?

IIRC it came up in those articles asking about his opinions on AVP. I think they're on YouTube.

I must've missed that. Because I've only read of him saying he liked AvP (then laughing). And then on YouTube there's a video of him saying that that the AvP films have "screwed up the whole franchise." Never seen him say AvP is better than A3 or A:R.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 26, 2016, 02:31:55 PMNever seen him say AvP is better than A3 or A:R.

"It was actually pretty good. I think of the five Alien films, I'd rate it third. I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot." - Cameron

From an interview with Ain't It Cool News.

JokersWarPig

Alien 3 needs to die and be shoved into a shallow grave.
I mean, Aliens Colonial Marines also confirmed Hicks was alive  ;D so you can't say HE'S dead.

All that aside, I'd welcome a Blomkamp Alien film and I've been hoping for one since it was first mentioned. I'm a big fan of his movies so I'm sure the wait for this will be worth it.
I don't see why everyone assumes it'll be action packed and full of "dumb" bugs. You can easily have the aliens be dangerous and intelligent when facing the marines. If anything I feel that the movie would portray the aliens better if they did face the marines face to face and pushed them back without the marines losing some important aspect of their equipment prior to the encounter like they did in Aliens. Just because the Marines (or a security force) are in it doesn't mean the aliens will be dumb.

I'm not sure why fan service is such a trigger word either, it could be something as simple as bringing back the look of the marines or the pulse rifle, since those are (imo) as iconic to the franchise as the Alien or the face hugger. Fan service doesn't automatically equal bad things.

The picture of the marines "piloting" the Aliens is great, and probably exactly what WY wants. The Alien suit Ripley is wearing I can live without though.

Beatnation

First off, Ripley, Hicks and Newt all of them die in Alien 3, we got 25 years to get used to it, so deal with it.

I will give Blomhack's Alien 5 a chance if they show he can create a new and frsh take on the franchise with interesting and likeable new characters, instead trying to retcon other movies in favor or stupid wet fan-fiction, what a piece of shit director you must be if you can't tell a good story without reviving those long time dead characters.

Last time I checked the name of the franchise was ALIEN not ELLEN.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Beatnation on Jul 26, 2016, 11:01:31 PM
First off, Ripley, Hicks and Newt all of them die in Alien 3, we got 25 years to get used to it, so deal with it.

I will give Blomhack's Alien 5 a chance if they show he can create a new and frsh take on the franchise with interesting and likeable new characters, instead trying to retcon other movies in favor or stupid wet fan-fiction, what a piece of shit director you must be if you can't tell a good story without reviving those long time dead characters.

No.  Alien 3 was the wrong direction to go in in 1992, and it is just as bad with the passage of time.  It's time to fix the chronology, dump Alien 3 and its bastard child A:R and fix the franchise.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 26, 2016, 11:05:36 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Jul 26, 2016, 11:01:31 PM

No.  Alien 3 was the wrong direction to go in in 1992, and it is just as bad with the passage of time.  It's time to fix the chronology, dump Alien 3 and its bastard child A:R and fix the franchise.

Nah, I'd much rather they dump Alien 5, it sounds like an even bigger bastardization than those films. It's your opinion that it was a wrong direction, to me, it was the right one. Alien 3 is amazing and I even love Resurrection.

Beatnation does have a point, it's been 25 years... can't we stop being bereaved and move on to brand new and interesting chapters? I truthfully think this franchise has so much potential to branch out and introduce new faces. Nothing is sadder than wasted talent and potential... seeing a great series cave in on itself and go "sod it, I give up. Retcon time!"

What's seriously wrong with going past Resurrection? It just boggles my mind. I mean, you can still have Ripley... 8... but she's still Ripley! And we can see more of that further future. Maybe see some new technology humanity developed in those 200 years. Perhaps even see the slow rise of Weyland-Yutani once more as they fix the damage that the Auriga has done to Earth and earns huge public support. Show Colonial Marines again in this setting with more advanced gear.

And we can still have a "passing of the torch" moment as a new lead takes over for an ageing Ripley 8. Speaking of which, the clones were artificially aged, so that means Ripley 8's age won't be something that needs a lot of explaining. It can be literally set a few years after Resurrection or a few decades if the story demands it (explain it as Ripley's advanced biology or maybe she was in a cryotube again)

So many opportunities and possibilities! It's a shame Blomkamp chose a more banal option.

windebieste

^ All of this.  All of the above as expressed by Alien Predator.  So many good reasons to not retcon. 

Blomkamp could do so much better and should do a fast 1800 turnabout on his current divisive proposal and retcon it from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

-Windebieste.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 27, 2016, 12:15:45 AM
^ All of this.  All of the above as expressed by Alien Predator.  So many good reasons to not retcon. 

Blomkamp could do so much better and should do a fast 1800 turnabout on his current divisive proposal and retcon it from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

-Windebieste.

Thanks, Winde. I agree, he should just bug out from this retcon and call it even before it's game over man! Game over!

windebieste

Quote from: bboo on Jul 26, 2016, 12:58:45 PM
you really think people want to see a 44 year non actor school teacher and  70 year old woman run around with a flame thrower fighting aliens making out with a 64 year old dude...   not going to happen people.

You forgot the part about stripping down near naked in a space shuttle locker.  Hubba hubba!

-Windebieste.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 27, 2016, 01:38:53 AM
Quote from: bboo on Jul 26, 2016, 12:58:45 PM

You forgot the part about stripping down near naked in a space shuttle locker.  Hubba hubba!

-Windebieste.

Bart approves!

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 26, 2016, 06:17:04 PM
Alien 3 needs to die and be shoved into a shallow grave.
I mean, Aliens Colonial Marines also confirmed Hicks was alive  ;D so you can't say HE'S dead.

All that aside, I'd welcome a Blomkamp Alien film and I've been hoping for one since it was first mentioned. I'm a big fan of his movies so I'm sure the wait for this will be worth it.
I don't see why everyone assumes it'll be action packed and full of "dumb" bugs. You can easily have the aliens be dangerous and intelligent when facing the marines. If anything I feel that the movie would portray the aliens better if they did face the marines face to face and pushed them back without the marines losing some important aspect of their equipment prior to the encounter like they did in Aliens. Just because the Marines (or a security force) are in it doesn't mean the aliens will be dumb.

I'm not sure why fan service is such a trigger word either, it could be something as simple as bringing back the look of the marines or the pulse rifle, since those are (imo) as iconic to the franchise as the Alien or the face hugger. Fan service doesn't automatically equal bad things.

The picture of the marines "piloting" the Aliens is great, and probably exactly what WY wants. The Alien suit Ripley is wearing I can live without though.

Erase Alien 3 or leave it I could care less. Same about Ripley or Hicks or Newt. The franchise is about THE ALIEN (S) not about Ripley!

Concerning Blomkamp, at least most of us agree this picture or thing he drew is total crap. I can no longer trust a director who drew this feces. Sorry. Game over.

That's like showing me a Newborn again! F no take this garbage and stick it. We've suffered enough with A3 A4 AVP AVPR!  4 straight loser films because of some directors or writers who wanted to show us they're artistic side@ boohoofkinhoo cry me a river.

Now you want to tell me that this is cool??? Aliens with sunglasses running around? That's it I've had it! I'm taking out the bat and breaking something! I can't take this. Someone tell him something lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed