"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,362 times)

Rush Hour Rambo

Quote from: Jutland on Sep 03, 2020, 06:51:31 PM
But everyone's already seen an Alien sequel. It was in 1986, and it was pretty good.

But everyone's already seen a Prometheus sequel. It was in 2017 and it was below average.

PAS Spinelli

Oh boy another mediocre addition to the franchise that further kills the lore and will make sure the franchise stays dead for another 3 years! Can't wait for the people defending it as if it was a masterpiece with no flaws, like the 2 other times.

Adam802

Adam802

Urrgghh no.  f**k off Ridley.  He's saying the same shit he's been saying every time about the last one not being as good and if the alien is worn out blah blah.  The already-setup story is bad and silly, nothing was going to save it so i'm glad its probably being abandoned.

Just make a new sci-fi franchise not related to Alien, Ridley.  Stop ruining Alien by shoehorning in crap that ruins lore and doesn't belong.

Hopefully move onto something with a better direction for the series.  Not a prequel or spinoff.

Kurai

So long as it doesn't end with David being the originator of the Lv-426 eggs, I will remain content.
There's still enough wiggle room to avoid that storytelling travesty from coming true.

Stay away from the Beast, Ridley. But please finish the prequel trilogy.

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Imagine a director saying the Predator might have run out of steam and wanting to explore pirates in the next film instead.
Riddles became a malicious troll to me.

Just get it over with. All of this is a waste of time since 2012 and I want to see an Alien movie at last.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 03, 2020, 09:15:51 PM
Oh boy another mediocre addition to the franchise that further kills the lore and will make sure the franchise stays dead for another 3 years! Can't wait for the people defending it as if it was a masterpiece with no flaws, like the 2 other times.

I'd rather have something I find interesting that "kills the lore" than something that perfectly checks off boxes that fits into "canon" but has absolutely nothing to say. Every different director that's touched the series has had a pretty unique vision for what their film(s) should be, and I find that to be much more engaging as a viewer than I do some rigid timeline where everything falls into place.

I'd never call Prometheus or Alien: Covenant masterpieces, but I would say that Covenant is pretty damn great, and that Prometheus is very interesting conceptually despite being a beautiful mess of a movie. And now I want to see Ridley Scott get a chance to send this vision off, before we move onto whatever the next "vision" another filmmaker brings to the series might be.

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

It your opinion but I think  coveant is mediocre at best like instead of the advance alien race creating the xenomorph it was a pyshctioc synethic in a cave that created the xenomorph and let's not even talk about the plot holes or that the engineers are way to small to actually be the juggernaut pilot and coveant itself just raised more questions and it didn't answer none of Prometheus questions

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2020, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 03, 2020, 09:15:51 PM

I'd rather have something I find interesting that "kills the lore" than something that perfectly checks off boxes that fits into "canon" but has absolutely nothing to say.
Having a pretentious "message" doesn't make a movie good or enjoyable, Ridley's vision for the prequels never had anything to do with this franchise and should have stayed out of it.

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

Yeah I find it hard that a psychotic synthetic was able to make something that look like the xenomorph in a  cave I am just hoping that this last film shows that the protomorph is David's take on the xenomorph and the orginal alien is the engineers creation also I am hoping that the engineers are just the servants of the pilots or malkaks whatever you want to call them

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 03, 2020, 10:57:37 PM
Having a pretentious "message" doesn't make a movie good or enjoyable

I mean, I really enjoy Alien: Covenant. Not because of whatever "pretentious message" you're referring to, but because I found the ideas that the film was putting forth to be very fascinating, both on their own to feet and within the larger context of the Alien series.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 03, 2020, 10:57:37 PM
Ridley's vision for the prequels never had anything to do with this franchise and should have stayed out of it.

Not true. Prometheus began life as a direct Alien prequel and, while it started to distance itself from that structure during pre-production, it never pushed itself out of that franchise. It re-interpreted many of the core ideas and twisted many of the concepts that we thought meant one thing on their head (which, I totally understand pissing people off) but at its core, it still was very much ingrained with the DNA of the Alien movie and the Space Jockey mystery and played on those familiar ideas while presenting them with material totally new to the series.

Androids (which have been prominent since the first film and have been a staple since), the nature of creation and lineage (which initially manifested with the parallels between Ripley and the Queen's presentations of motherhood in Aliens and was further expanded upon more directly in Alien: Resurrection with humans finally getting to meddle in affairs that they simply cannot control), and the religious subtext (which drove Alien 3) all have roots in the original four films and expanding on them in the prequels feels like material ripe for the picking to me.

I'm not saying you, or anybody for that matter, has to like them. I myself have a ton of problems with Prometheus, from a filmmaking perspective, despite my pretty unabashed love of Alien: Covenant (which I do also have problems with, but hey, nothing is perfect). But I don't think it is fair to say that Ridley's "take" on the material wasn't appropriate for the series or should have stayed out of it. At the end of the day, its just a couple of movies that whoever comes in next to take over the reigns are probably going to gloss over anyways - every filmmaker that's come into the series has basically always glossed over whatever the previous films have done in order to put their own stamp on it and, essentially, start from scratch.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2020, 11:11:13 PM
It re-interpreted many of the core ideas and twisted many of the concepts that we thought meant one thing on their head (which, I totally understand pissing people off) but at its core, it still was very much ingrained with the DNA of the Alien movie and the Space Jockey mystery and played on those familiar ideas while presenting them with material totally new to the series.

The Trilobite, the Deacon, the Space Jockeys reimagined. All of these elements are a metaphor for the original concept. For a short time I felt that Prometheus was a reboot rather than a prequel.

Androids (which have been prominent since the first film and have been a staple since), the nature of creation and lineage (which initially manifested with the parallels between Ripley and the Queen's presentations of motherhood in Aliens and was further expanded upon more directly in Alien: Resurrection with humans finally getting to meddle in affairs that they simply cannot control), and the religious subtext (which drove Alien 3) all have roots in the original four films and expanding on them in the prequels feels like material ripe for the picking to me.

That's so true! And also even the mythological poetry as a subtext, for example the Queen as an allegory to Grendel's mother.

That said, and thanks to Raised by Wolves, I'm more interested in artificial intelligence than ever!  8)

I strongly believe that Ridley could do something even cooler than what he did with Covenant following that narrative.

At the end of the day, its just a couple of movies that whoever comes in next to take over the reigns are probably going to gloss over anyways - every filmmaker that's come into the series has basically always glossed over whatever the previous films have done in order to put their own stamp on it and, essentially, start from scratch.

That is also 100% true. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

Yes. Please.

It's been 8 years.
By all means, finish the Prometheus arc.
The let's get some serious alien movies.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 04, 2020, 12:59:28 AM
At the end of the day, its just a couple of movies that whoever comes in next to take over the reigns are probably going to gloss over anyways - every filmmaker that's come into the series has basically always glossed over whatever the previous films have done in order to put their own stamp on it and, essentially, start from scratch.

That is also 100% true. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

Perfect-Organism

Ok, signs of life.  Jumping into this thread, confused as hell though I may be after reading the blurb.

I seriously want some of that Ridley Scott Scotch...

PVC

Hi. Ok guys. ... What did we learn at the end of Prometheus ?  Trilobite ; deacon , engineer
No need of David      The little xeno shark was born without David. 
The enginners died before David arrived        No need of David
Scott admits he was wrong about prometheus ?     No ,  He was wrong about covenant. 
Please erase covenant , remake it     A new story starting in the derelict ....with the xenoshark in it
The little guy moving and killing differently    And david using it to make THE perfect organism

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed