Recent posts

Quote from: E. Shaw on Mar 25, 2024, 09:01:56 PMI think of the fights, Scar vs Queen is the better one. Seeing Her Majesty in the open was a treat and I still the scene when Scar leapt and drives his combistick into her head was a very cool scene.

Now that you mention it, this scene does look unironically cool 😅. I've never thought I'd say that (I've always disliked Avp otherwise).
Quote from: SM on Yesterday at 09:32:14 PMLope is hardly Robinson Crusoe here.  Apart from David and Walter, Oram is the most interesting character in Covenant. Possibly the only interesting character.  Which isn't great for Daniels.

The gay angle was dialled all the way down, and he didn't get to mourn Hallet.  But Oram barely got to mourn Karine too, and T was cracking jokes after they got back to the ship despite his wife being dead.  They had couples in the film, but often carry on as if the dead were barely just people they met once. If they had space to react a bit more to the deaths, it may have developed the characters a bit more.  How Daniels copes with Jacob's death is all we know, because we never saw what she was like before.
Karin and Farris were interesting characters that unfortunately played lesser roles (they're excellent actresses otherwise), T was mostly for comedic relief but also kind of evolved during the movie somewhat, becoming a pillar for Daniels. Oram was the single most interesting character (outside David/Walter) and because of his loss, he started bonding with Daniels which was useful for the dramatic purposes of the movie.

Lope was just a reliable, quiet military type and added nothing for others to interact with. Even Ricks and Upworth were shown to have distinctive personalities and actually had some good comments about what was going on.

The couples theme was interesting but I think ultimately heavily underutilized. If movie was allowed to be 2.5h then maybe, along with all antagonistic exchanges between AIs, it could've been more fleshed out in this respect.
Alien Films / Alien Resurrection - Xenomorph...
Last post by c0rnel - Today at 01:09:31 PM
In regards to the xenomorph offspring the queen gives birth to towards the end of the movie, it appears to have human traits. Now, we know there was DNA contamination from both Ripley and queen as a result of trial and error cloning from DNA samples.

One thing that came to mind that seemed kinda forgotten was that in Alien 3 on Fury 161 Ripley slept with Clemens. If they had unprotected sex (this is not confirmed) how would that play a role? That would mean Ripley was carrying two babies, the queen embryo and the human child embryo. Maybe Ripley hoped to have a daughter and that she was done battling xenomorphs since she wasn't really there for Amanda and recently lost Newt. So in Resurrection, the queen developed an uterus and gives birth to a hybrid looking xenomorph. It's like one species have birth to the other - cross birth is there's a thing.

How would the DNA from Clemens inside Ripley affect or complicate the cloning process and was this xenomorph baby really supposed to be a human with xenomorph traits? We know from the scenes that it saw and chose Ripley as its mother and killed off the alien queen after its direct birth.

Keep in mind that no one except Ripley would have known about her and Clemens sleeping together.

Thanks.
It doesn't help that the introductions to the character is basically a short film that is seperate from the movie. People should not have to watch a seperate vid to get an understanding of the characters in the movie (regardless whether or not the short actually adds anything)
Alien Films / Re: So is the Queen still aliv...
Last post by Thatguy2068 - Today at 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Today at 11:12:21 AMJust pick up the lonely Deacon from LV-223
For all we know he might turn into a mountain :|
Quote from: SM on Today at 06:55:53 AMCloning does work like what? Like a science fiction film 300 years in the future?  Neither do artificial gravity or cryosleep or faster than light travel or monsters that go zero to a hundred in a few hours but cloning is over the top?

Cloning doesn't work like it does in the movie but that is not what I consider the most over the top, its mostly about Ripley 8

Alien rez is less sci-fi and more comic-like to me.

Already stated in other threads that even the original films had a few unexplainable stuff, stasis. Flight speed. Yes even hours growth is pushing things but these last few things were atleast established in the first film. It set the tone and didn't show how stasis, gravity or the flight speed worked so there isn't much to contradict as its left to us speculate. Alien res goes comical with what it features.
The AVP films from the 2000s are not compatible with the current Alien mythology in the slightest though.

Noah Hawley and Dan Trachtenberg are separately envisioning a near future take on Earth for each respective franchise.
People massively changing their opinion over time is herd like behavior, typically human.

Personally I love the films soundtrack, sounds design, set design and overall look and atmosphere and I can watch it for those reasons but it is probably not a masterpiece I'd say because yes it is boring and I have been known to fall asleep while watching it.

Alien is also slow but there is an ever present sense of doom which keeps me glued to the screen, blade runner just leisurely moves ahead, it is kind of a dream state.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed