Sounds like there was an alternate ending!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 02, 2018, 07:20:31 PM

Author
Sounds like there was an alternate ending! (Read 96,604 times)

Voodoo Magic

Immortan Jonesy

Prez

They should've had Ridley Scott come out of the capsule.

Kradan

That would've wiped the movie from existence.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Prez on Apr 30, 2020, 03:40:01 AM

Take my money!

Whiskeybrewer

This is why i'd have the PK Suit destroyed as early as possible in a 5th film lol

Wysps

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 27, 2020, 11:40:52 PM
It would have made sense in some way if it had been Dutch. I could buy him being called "The Predator killer" if he showed up at the end with a bunch of Predator gear salvaged from a bunch of Predator's he had killed. That could make some sense.

But the whole movie is a travesty, so I don't think it would have mattered.

Not unless when Dutch came out of the tube he said "It'z awl bullschit! Awl ov it! Dee ass burguhs da whole biznes."

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 28, 2020, 03:54:20 AM
I believe Dutch was supposed to show up but Arnold declined (again) so we have an ending which just needs to happen rather than the film having an ending. Like why green-light a script with an ending for a guy who notoriously doesn't show up for these? I almost can't believe he signed on for a videogame.

Would have been crazy, but at least it'd have made much more sense  :-\  Or Royce for that matter.  Someone with an actual background in fighting the Predators.

OpenMaw

At the end of the day The Predator is rotten to its core and not a film that could be salvaged. There's no ending that would have made it better, honestly. Just variations on terrible.

Everything the movie does to Predator lore. All the shoddy character work.

I say again, the only redeeming aspect to this film is the soundtrack. They at least kept the original themes at play.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

I'm an outlier, but I'm a huge fan of Monster Squad, and I liked The Predator quite a bit in the same regard; so bring on your fanboy hate! Your pure rage only fuels my dark borne heart! Mwa haa haaaa!!

Did it have its studio interference oddities? Absolutely. But more than any other film in the franchises I'm dying to see a Director's cut of this film with the original creature concepts, the Edward James Olmos General restored and the emissary Predators plot sewn back in. I have nothing but respect for bold and ballsy choices when there's thought and intention behind them, even if I may loathe the final product.

Unlike many, I have no problem with concepts of time transit or multiverse theory being explored in the franchises if handled well, because of the simple fact that these are concepts intrinsically linked with our most current theories and comprehension of Spacetime. Also the idea of the Engineers having developed arcane technologies capable of readily transcending dimension into dark and otherworldly realms appeals to me as an enthusiast of cosmic horror. I think the concepts regarding the origins and nature of the original Alien presented thus far have been too narrow in scope, their true and fathomless unknowability should be something to be explored. That being said, having Ripley, Newt, David or really anyone from Alien side of the franchises coming out of that pod feels too on the nose, sorta cheap and generally gross.

The Yautja have never been and should never be a monolithic culture. Like the American Indian tribes, every Yautja clan, and really every individual Yaut should have their own culture, practices, traits and moralities. And conflict among the different clans should be as natural with them as it is with us.

Of the ideas presented here, some I find really compelling. An old and battle weary Dutch coming out the pod would indeed be pretty legit, and I wholeheartedly dig it. Also the idea of a bunch of eggs or face huggers or even a curled up frozen full grown Xeno with a roughly translated "Predator killer" description on the pod could have some rad potential if subsequently handled in a sincere and uncampy way. I personally have no interest in Royce as a character but I honestly think it would have been awesome to have had a scarred-up Isabelle emerge out of that pod and have a Sarah Connor-ish female protagonist brought into the Predator fold. But alas, one can only dream.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 30, 2020, 05:48:52 PM
I'm an outlier, but I'm a huge fan of Monster Squad, and I liked The Predator quite a bit in the same regard; so bring on your fanboy hate! Your pure rage only fuels my dark borne heart! Mwa haa haaaa!!

Kradan! You know that search for someone else who's a fan of The Predator?

Kradan

Everyone loves Shane and The Predator in the depth of their souls but only the brave ones admit it !

Vermillion

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 30, 2020, 11:28:46 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 30, 2020, 03:40:01 AM

Take my money!
They called, but I was working on reshoots due to Kevin S.

SuperiorIronman

If I could change the ending I think it would play out much the same as it does but end with the death of the Assassin rather than going longer. Just give Quinn and Rory a quiet moment together finally reconnecting after fighting crabo stabo.

In this case have the Assassin claim the pod and also Rory. In this case Quinn has the Predator tech but what's in the pod is some sort of next-gen Predator armor that forms around Quinn. Rory is established thanks to his condition to have figured out a bit of Predator tech. So Rory being on the ship activates the suit for his father. Since Quinn is the closest to it and has the experience of using the tech then uses it to get the edge on the Assassin. Not without some blunders because it is alien technology but ultimately they do beat the Assassin.
Then if you want to setup a sequel you can keep the suit in a damaged state. It's either working enough that it's seen in the sequel and or subsequent media or that the suit just broke down between films due to the battle and Quinn being incompatible with it ultimately.
Just show Quinn picking up more gear as time goes on to sell the progression.

As is it really can just end on the death of the Assassin as the last couple of minutes are setup for a tonally different sequel. It works for a videogame but it's not something you could make a film out of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed