Sounds like there was an alternate ending!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 02, 2018, 07:20:31 PM

Author
Sounds like there was an alternate ending! (Read 98,995 times)

brokentusk420

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 31, 2018, 01:33:29 AM
Ok, so I just finished watching the film for the first time.

I certainly appreciate everyone knocking this film as it made it an overall enjoyable experience.

I am coming at this as a casual Predator fan.  My thing is Aliens.  So there was really nothing that overly irritated me.  I will definitely have to do a few more watches though.  Some preliminary comments:

Where did the gang all get those Indian bikes from?

The "Iron Man" armor mainly suffered from being too silly as a design.  The basic idea was not bad.

The large Pradator did not make a lot of sense to me strictly from my background as an industrial designer.  Effectively, my issue with it is anthropometrics.  On earth, we design things for the 95 percentile man.  Based on this, most people can fit in a car.  Am I to believe that the spread of Predator people is so vast that they have to design everything to fit small and large predators?  At that scale, it would be practically impossible to accommodate such size differences.  But that's my first impression.

And now on topic, yes it would have been really jumping the shark if they sent us Lt. Ripley from the future.  However, giving us the Iron Man armor further separates this series from the AVP series IMO.  We don't see this sort of tech in the Alien films.

What are you talking about? The whole movie is jumping the shark. Nothing in it isn't a bad idea. 

The Kurgan

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Jan 02, 2019, 09:00:08 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 31, 2018, 01:33:29 AM
Ok, so I just finished watching the film for the first time.

I certainly appreciate everyone knocking this film as it made it an overall enjoyable experience.

I am coming at this as a casual Predator fan.  My thing is Aliens.  So there was really nothing that overly irritated me.  I will definitely have to do a few more watches though.  Some preliminary comments:

Where did the gang all get those Indian bikes from?

The "Iron Man" armor mainly suffered from being too silly as a design.  The basic idea was not bad.

The large Pradator did not make a lot of sense to me strictly from my background as an industrial designer.  Effectively, my issue with it is anthropometrics.  On earth, we design things for the 95 percentile man.  Based on this, most people can fit in a car.  Am I to believe that the spread of Predator people is so vast that they have to design everything to fit small and large predators?  At that scale, it would be practically impossible to accommodate such size differences.  But that's my first impression.

And now on topic, yes it would have been really jumping the shark if they sent us Lt. Ripley from the future.  However, giving us the Iron Man armor further separates this series from the AVP series IMO.  We don't see this sort of tech in the Alien films.

What are you talking about? The whole movie is jumping the shark. Nothing in it isn't a bad idea.

whiterabbit

You know what, I've got it. Ripley exists in both universes and she is the chosen one predicted in the Predator hunters almanac. They murder and train to be worthy of the most dangerous bitch ever and are building her a throne made out of human skulls and spines. The human that exterminated the alien species because she wanted all to watch her do it is the only one who could be Queen Predator. They probably even have a gigantic deacon like mural with her in the center.

Highland

You know it's weird because this pleases no one. The oldies like us, you basically take a dump on our movie and the young folks are like - who the f is that. Wouldn't an Alien technically be a Predator killer anyway?

So the Pod opens, there's an Alien Egg inside. There's your next movie.

Uncanny Antman

Just don't do the pod ending at all.   

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 02, 2019, 05:28:03 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2019, 05:06:39 AM
Ripley is iconic though.

Of course many of the younger crowd wouldn't make the connection.  But isn't part of the problem that the younger crowd aren't interested in the first place?

Ripley is indeed iconic, especially given the fact that she was a female lead character in a successful and beloved franchise back when that wasn't as commonplace. Nowadays, there's nearly an oversaturation of female leads and heroines though, and I wouldn't be surprised if her extended absence has caused her to be somewhat lost in the shuffle (not that I want her back, because I don't. She died, and that's that).

As for the younger crowd not being interested, I'd say that's definitely worth a look into. Back in college, I never met many other people my age who knew anything about alien or predator. As someone who has trained and works alongside many (and I mean many) younger people on a daily basis, I've yet to meet more than one who knew anything about it, and believe me, it came up. But damned if they couldn't talk all day about the marvel movies and Game of Thrones.

I'd say the market has changed, and with it, the tastes of those who have been growing up in it. Today's market is all about the family money, and the big spectacle. That's not necessarily conducive to liking or knowing anything about Alien and Predator, or the characters in them. 80's sci-fi/horror? I don't know how big a draw there is for that now. That was back before Henry Cavill and 1080p.  :laugh:

Old. People. Movies.

Either appeal to the older crowd who know and love it or don't make it at all. If you don't make something like Michael Bay movies with more explosions than characters and have weird subplots younger audiances won't be invested.

Then you have to have representation of every background too. And it has to be PC. Othewise you offend their sensibilities. If you said "slack jawed fa$$ot" on screen today, you would haven younger audiences requiring safe spaces, a therapy dog, and claiming PTSD. Your movie would be black listed on social media and screeching on social media would occur crying out for the termination of all involved. If you stood up against these outcries you would be told "This movie isn't for you," "You dont understand it" and "it's just sci fi, don't read too much into it."

Remember- younger audiences have an attention span of roughly 1 to 3 minutes. Beyond that and you've lost them. So your movie needs to have rapid events in short periods of time like that to keep them on board. But that style of movie making doesn't work with alien nor predator. In short... Fox doesn't understand its fans. They are out of touch and trying to cash cow on the Disney formulaic marvel movies.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jan 02, 2019, 10:29:11 AM
Bingo!

Should have just had McKenna look up and say something like, next time bitch and kill it there.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 02, 2019, 11:46:53 AM
Bingo!

Should have just had McKenna look up and say something like, next time bitch and kill it there.

Exactly. Have them bury the stuff for their fallen friends, have the camera pan up to the sky with a voiceover and BAM end

TheSailingRabbit

Ripley is iconic though.

Of course many of the younger crowd wouldn't make the connection.  But isn't part of the problem that the younger crowd aren't interested in the first place?

Ripley is indeed iconic, especially given the fact that she was a female lead character in a successful and beloved franchise back when that wasn't as commonplace. Nowadays, there's nearly an oversaturation of female leads and heroines though, and I wouldn't be surprised if her extended absence has caused her to be somewhat lost in the shuffle

Oversaturated, yes. The main difference is that Ripley is actually memorable for valid reasons. How many other female protagonists that aren't cookie cutter Mary Sues can someone name?

QuoteAs for the younger crowd not being interested, I'd say that's definitely worth a look into. Back in college, I never met many other people my age who knew anything about alien or predator. As someone who has trained and works alongside many (and I mean many) younger people on a daily basis, I've yet to meet more than one who knew anything about it, and believe me, it came up. But damned if they couldn't talk all day about the marvel movies and Game of Thrones.

I'll be honest, I don't think that's an exaggeration.

As someone who is, admittedly, much younger than most of this site, and who enjoys the crap out of this fandom, I just don't get the hype of Marvel movies, or Game of Thrones. Not at all. I can't have a conversation with anyone outside the internet about Alien.

I wouldn't assume that every young person is braindead in terms of entertainment, but I also think that the people who have poor ideas of what a good movie is make up too big a portion of this demographic.

I don't think most superhero movies should be getting such high ratings on sites like Rotten Tomatoes. Then again, I don't know if they're always trustworthy.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jan 02, 2019, 11:56:20 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 02, 2019, 11:46:53 AM
Bingo!

Exactly. Have them bury the stuff for their fallen friends, have the camera pan up to the sky with a voiceover and BAM end

I would argue before that. As soon as he defeats the retcon predator and before he utters "What the f**k are you?"

You know exactly what the upgrade is. Olivia Munn told you. Traeger told you. You acknowledged it was a "space alien" with the loonies. Stop rehashing dialogue for the sake of nostalgia points...and stop using them especially in wrong context. 

Nobody talks like humans in this film.  The dialogue is as much of a mess as the plot.

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 02, 2019, 12:07:04 PM
Ripley is iconic though.

Ripley is indeed iconic, especially given the fact that she was a female lead character in a successful and beloved franchise back when that wasn't as commonplace. Nowadays, there's nearly an oversaturation of female leads and heroines though, and I wouldn't be surprised if her extended absence has caused her to be somewhat lost in the shuffle

Oversaturated, yes. The main difference is that Ripley is actually memorable for valid reasons. How many other female protagonists that aren't cookie cutter Mary Sues can someone name?

QuoteAs for the younger crowd not being interested, I'd say that's definitely worth a look into. Back in college, I never met many other people my age who knew anything about alien or predator. As someone who has trained and works alongside many (and I mean many) younger people on a daily basis, I've yet to meet more than one who knew anything about it, and believe me, it came up. But damned if they couldn't talk all day about the marvel movies and Game of Thrones.

As someone who is, admittedly, much younger than most of this site, and who enjoys the crap out of this fandom, I just don't get the hype of Marvel movies, or Game of Thrones. Not at all. I can't have a conversation with anyone outside the internet about Alien.

I wouldn't assume that every young person is braindead in terms of entertainment, but I also think that the people who have poor ideas of what a good movie is make up too big a portion of this demographic.

I don't think most superhero movies should be getting such high ratings on sites like Rotten Tomatoes. Then again, I don't know if they're always trustworthy.

Paid. Shills. Kickbacks for favorable reviews.
https://youtu.be/Cf_pIliJ0xY

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Ripley is iconic though.

At the top of my head, movies only:
The Bride, Kill Bill
Hermione, Harry Potter series
Imperator Furiosa, Fury Road
Lisbeth Salander, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Sarah Conner, Terminator franchise
X-23, Logan
Clarice Starling, Silence of the Lambs
Kate Macer, Sicario

Most of the Marvel movies are good movies and Got is a fantastic show. Maybe the Marvel stuff are not masterpieces for the ages, but they are competently made. I don't think it's a matter of recognizing quality but more that that's the stuff they grew up with or are growing up with.

But i agree that people put too much stock into rating sites. I try to aviod them before i watch a movie to not get biased by the score.

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 02, 2019, 12:11:10 PM
Paid. Shills. Kickbacks. Focus on his points on reviews, not battlefield.
https://youtu.be/bZWSoV6zE0M

Is that why the movies made godless amount of cash? So why are other studios not picking up on the trend if that's all that it takes?

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 02, 2019, 12:23:34 PM
Ripley is iconic though.

At the top of my head, movies only:
The Bride, Kill Bill
Hermione, Harry Potter series
Imperator Furiosa, Fury Road
Lisbeth Salander, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Sarah Conner, Terminator franchise
X-23, Logan
Clarice Starling, Silence of the Lambs
Kate Macer, Sicario

Most of the Marvel movies are good movies and Got is a fantastic show. Maybe the Marvel stuff are not masterpieces for the ages, but they are competently made. I don't think it's a matter of recognizing quality but more that that's the stuff they grew up with or are growing up with.

But i agree that people put too much stock into rating sites. I try to aviod them before i watch a movie to not get biased by the score.

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 02, 2019, 12:11:10 PM
Paid. Shills. Kickbacks. Focus on his points on reviews, not battlefield.
https://youtu.be/bZWSoV6zE0M

Is that why the movies made godless amount of cash? So why are other studios not picking up on the trend if that's all that it takes?

Depends on the studio. But the evidence is there. When a movie has a critic score in the 90% but an audience score of 40% or lower...something is wrong.

https://youtu.be/Cf_pIliJ0xY

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 02, 2019, 12:37:02 PM
Depends on the studio. But the evidence is there. When a movie has a critic score in the 90% but an audience score of 40% or lower...something is wrong.

Why that? It's not that uncommon that critics and audience disagree. If you use a rating system like RT, your example just means 90% of critics gave it a positive review vs 40% of the audience. It does not mean 90 vs  40 out of 100 attainable points.

I put not much stockin rating sites, but even than i would go with the critic score. Audience score more often than not boils down to how much 10 ratings vs how much 1 ratings there are.

But even then, a high score on rating sites does not equal Marvel cash for a movie.

KiramidHead

Joy, the shill conspiracy theory. ::)

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Kurgan on Jan 02, 2019, 12:49:06 PM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 02, 2019, 12:37:02 PM

Why that? It's not that uncommon that critics and audience disagree. If you use a rating system like RT, your example just means 90% of critics gave it a positive review vs 40% of the audience. It does not mean 90 vs  40 of 100 attainable points.

But even then, a high score on rating sites does not equal Marvel cash for a movie.

There is a clear bias for a favorable review. Favorable reviews garner more viewings. More viewings mean more money. More money means success. Success means sequels. Are we tracking?

Regarding the points...that's a flawed position because of simple size. 200 some critics versus over 10,000 reviews from movie goers.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 02, 2019, 12:51:56 PM
Joy, the shill conspiracy theory. ::)
Funny how open source information can show it's not a theory. Numbers don't lie. Follow the money.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed