Blomkamp says NO to Shared Alien-Predator universe!

Started by RakaiThwei, Mar 06, 2015, 04:32:31 AM

Author
Blomkamp says NO to Shared Alien-Predator universe! (Read 7,409 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 06, 2015, 12:58:05 PM
I've wanted a CG one since I first saw the trailer/intro for AvP Extinction. The above films are perfect examples of gorgeous looking CG films.

I suppose it's a matter of preference then. I haven't really been too pleased with movies that were CGI Animations of some of my favorite franchises out there. One of those disappointments for me was TMNT 2007. That put me off from CGI animated movies.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 06, 2015, 12:47:04 PM
An AVP universe is not a bad thing if done right, it could be great in fact! I would love to see an AVP film done right and despite what some fans say, there is nothing wrong with there being three separate universes, as opposed to an all encompassing one which can be messed up due to continuity errors.

That's something which I advocate as to why we should have an AvP Multiverse (I've considered on starting a petition for one) and I think that it would allow room for more creativity and differences within the three universes would be allowed and better explained. I mean as much as I had believed and still believe that there is a shared universe, at least.. within the AvP movie continuity and the old EU material, I would say that's just one continuity out of three.. four if you count Prometheus.

And as far as the AvP movies and a potential AvP sequel or reboot is concerned.. and canonicity.. I'll address in my next point.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 06, 2015, 12:47:04 PM
Its a simple idea really and can be done quite fine, A pure Alien one with no Predators in existence, A pure Predator one with no Aliens in existence (skull was just an easter egg not a reference) and an AVP universe were the plots of both film franchises happened in the same universe and can feature both species and should hopefully open the way to a new AVP film with the previous AVP films being non-canon  :laugh:

Let me illuminate you here, Crue. If you advocate that there are three universes, or at the least three continuities happening here, then you at least have to acknowledge that the previous movies could potentially also be their own universe which still connects to the first two Predator movies, and the first three Alien movies, Resurrection not withstanding. So you want an Alien universe, a Predator universe, and an AvP universe? Again.. alternate timelines or multiverse. In those contexts-- neither canon or non-canon would take different meaning and there would be discrepancies. What is canon for one universe, may not necessarily be canon for another but it doesn't mean that in context, it didn't happen somewhere in an alternate timeline or multiverse and may remain canon in the whole grand scheme of things somewhere.

Having that said.. Considering that Fox is going out of their way to seemingly keep the franchises separated and the massive reboot of the EU, and now a dismissing of four (five if you believe Rodriguez's stance on P2 holds precedence over Antal's claim)-- namely P2, AvP, AvP-R, Alien 3 and Resurrection, then they could potentially looked at as an alternate continuity if Blomkamp's movie does what Godzilla 1985 did when the Heisei era films were introduced, or what Halloween H20 did which rendered IV - VI as an alternate timeline with no plot device addressing the last three movies as such.

Just sharing my point of view and how things could work but... I'd never thought I'd say this and don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad we're not getting a shared universe similar to Marvel. I mean the canon is a mess as it is and broken enough. Not to mention I'm.. not too keen on Fox's current direction of the franchises.

Quote from: Scree on Mar 06, 2015, 04:14:39 PM
Not buying this at all. I like Blomkamp a lot but it's not up to him to decide if there's gonna be another AVP movie. He's just expressing his opinion and nothing else.

This is true, that's not up to Blomkamp. But as it looks.. Ridley Scott's got the reigns to the Alien franchise and from my understanding, he doesn't like the concept of Alien vs Predator as a whole. I suppose that would be up to Fox and whatever collaborating producers as well.. like.. John Davis, since Predator is his franchise.

Lonely Universe

I really wouldn't mind a CG one as long as they put hecka detail into it. Most CG stuff out there is really stiff & lifeless. An AvP CG flick or series would need to be as realistic looking as possible with LOTS of detail. When stuff explodes - there should be shrapnel flying everywhere. When someone steps in dust it should kick up around their feet, & you should be able to see the granules. Hair should animate & flow. The hive walls should glisten & drip.

It should reek of effort.

Nightmare Asylum

Assuming he has the level of control that he wants, however, I wouldn't expect any level of connection to a potential AVP film. A future AVP might retroactively acknowledge/take advantage of ideas in this, but it will not have been the intention of anyone involved solely in this outing.

razeak

Good. A thousand times good.

I think it's a silly notion that people think you can't make a good AVP film, but if not doing it again means never having another mess like AVP2, then I'm for shelving the AVP series.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 06, 2015, 04:36:20 PM
Let me illuminate you here, Crue. If you advocate that there are three universes, or at the least three continuities happening here, then you at least have to acknowledge that the previous movies could potentially also be their own universe which still connects to the first two Predator movies, and the first three Alien movies, Resurrection not withstanding. So you want an Alien universe, a Predator universe, and an AvP universe? Again.. alternate timelines or multiverse. In those contexts-- neither canon or non-canon would take different meaning and there would be discrepancies. What is canon for one universe, may not necessarily be canon for another but it doesn't mean that in context, it didn't happen somewhere in an alternate timeline or multiverse and may remain canon in the whole grand scheme of things somewhere.

Not necessarily, a film's series universe seperate from the other does not really mean an individual film within them has a seperate universe, its a simple concept really, Alien universe have no predators and only acknowledges alien and media, Predator universe have no Aliens and ditto, AVP universe have both species and acknowledge the previous movies (from both (not counting those that might get retconned) and everyone can be happy since the main universe for fans would be the AVP one while purists or those that simply like all but prefer them to be separate can enjoy the Alien and Predator one. Each one has its own EU which may or may not be canon. Alien Universe only has Alien comics/books for example. All universes are canon, just not to each other, AVP being the ultimate canon where everything from each universe happened.

Having that said.. Considering that Fox is going out of their way to seemingly keep the franchises separated and the massive reboot of the EU, and now a dismissing of four (five if you believe Rodriguez's stance on P2 holds precedence over Antal's claim)-- namely P2, AvP, AvP-R, Alien 3 and Resurrection, then they could potentially looked at as an alternate continuity if Blomkamp's movie does what Godzilla 1985 did when the Heisei era films were introduced, or what Halloween H20 did which rendered IV - VI as an alternate timeline with no plot device addressing the last three movies as such.

Thing is, Predator 2 is not retconned or alternative universe, it was just not mentioned at all in Predators, there is a difference between retconning and ignoring.
The halloween thing is more like a retcon than an alternative universe because it intends to ignore the others and contradict them, the reboot series would be alternate universe because of the different setting. Its kinda murky since everyone is using all these different terms to explain what can be a simple deliberate contradiction to de-canonize the bad parts of halloween, after H20 it went back to bad so it didn't work for long.

Just sharing my point of view and how things could work but... I'd never thought I'd say this and don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad we're not getting a shared universe similar to Marvel. I mean the canon is a mess as it is and broken enough. Not to mention I'm.. not too keen on Fox's current direction of the franchises.
I liked Aliens/Predators and AVP but I can agree things can get messed up because no one bothers to keep continuity or checking with the other franchise to see what fits or not. As a compromise, a three universe concept would be good.

Fox never had a good direction for the series, I don't know where or how they get so many bad ideas and "suggestions" all the time, if I didn't know they cared about money the franchise makes, I would have suspected them of purposefully sabotaging the franchise.

Feeds On Minds

he conveniently didn't say weather or not his film will be connected to Prometheus...

Gash

Hardly matters if there's some connection to Prometheus as that's in-universe anyway, but bringing in Predators like an Abbot and Costello mash-up is obviously a stupid idea and should have never happened in the first place.

Xenomorphine

That quote makes it really difficult to know if he also meant he doesn't consider the 'Prometheus' stuff to be a part of his continuity, either... The interviewer's specific question is not quoted. As I pointed out on the podcast, the concept art labelled 'Space Jockey suit' could indicate this is what was truly meant.

The mysterious hand-waving about how Hicks is coming back might also indicate I was right with my theory that he could be a flashback, dream or hallucination, instead of just being true flesh and blood. If the character is simply waking up with Ripley, as everyone is presuming, why wouldn't the director simply say as such?

SiL

To keep it a shocking amazing twist that we've all been waiting for.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 06, 2015, 10:34:16 PM
The mysterious hand-waving about how Hicks is coming back might also indicate I was right with my theory that he could be a flashback, dream or hallucination, instead of just being true flesh and blood. If the character is simply waking up with Ripley, as everyone is presuming, why wouldn't the director simply say as such?

.......Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Hicks being a dream, hallucination.. What? God, I hope we don't get that. I.. I HOPE we don't get that.

Xenomrph

The silver lining for AvP fans here is, no matter what Blomkamp wants, it's FOX's sandbox. If they want AvP stuff and want to include his movie in the mix, there isn't a whole lot he can do about it.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus stuff has already been mixed in with Predator and AvP stuff by way of the Fire and Stone comics, and there's even more AvP novels in the pipeline. AvP ain't dead, not by a long shot.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 06, 2015, 11:04:17 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 06, 2015, 10:34:16 PM

.......Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Hicks being a dream, hallucination.. What? God, I hope we don't get that. I.. I HOPE we don't get that.
Have you seen the Terminator 2 director's cut?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 07, 2015, 02:10:48 AM
The silver lining for AvP fans here is, no matter what Blomkamp wants, it's FOX's sandbox. If they want AvP stuff and want to include his movie in the mix, there isn't a whole lot he can do about it.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus stuff has already been mixed in with Predator and AvP stuff by way of the Fire and Stone comics, and there's even more AvP novels in the pipeline. AvP ain't dead, not by a long shot.

Can you still make it all fit?

NetworkATTH

Good. It shouldn't exist.

RakaiThwei

But they would need Davis and another producer, whom I am assuming is going to be Ridley Scott for a while.. to work together. Scott would not be willing to work with Davis, even if the latter is willing to work with the former. Although yes.. It is Fox's sandbox.. Unfortunately.

I don't count Fire and Stone.

You mean the Special Edition DVD which is 584 miles up north from where I am and is presently stored in a bin which is locked up in storage that my folks can BARELY make payments to? Yeah, I've seen it.. And Kyle Reese was more or less a ghost or at the least, a hallucination but it worked in that particular context.

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 07, 2015, 03:06:27 AM

But they would need Davis and another producer, whom I am assuming is going to be Ridley Scott for a while.. to work together. Scott would not be willing to work with Davis, even if the latter is willing to work with the former. Although yes.. It is Fox's sandbox.. Unfortunately.
No they don't, they just need someone to make an AvP movie.

I don't count Fire and Stone.
Fox sure does, though. :)

You mean the Special Edition DVD which is 584 miles up north from where I am and is presently stored in a bin which is locked up in storage that my folks can BARELY make payments to? Yeah, I've seen it.. And Kyle Reese was more or less a ghost or at the least, a hallucination but it worked in that particular context.
Likewise, we could end up with the same thing for Hicks. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 07, 2015, 02:43:36 AM

Can you still make it all fit?
Mother and I are still collating. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed