Alien 5 Or A New Storyline?

Started by g2vd, Aug 25, 2016, 09:36:32 AM

Choose

Aliens "2" (Blomkamp Project)
New Storyline
Alien 5 (Resurrection Sequel)
Author
Alien 5 Or A New Storyline? (Read 10,500 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 30, 2016, 08:49:56 PM
I voted new storyline, although to be truthful my choice would be split with a Res sequel. As naff as that film was, Ripley 8 has genuine potential.

Exactly, and with a A:R sequel, all the Siggy fans can have their RIpley in the film and we all win, right? Not to mention us getting to see more of this further future setting, see what else humanity was up to two hundred years after Alien 3. So much to explore and see!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Well, it's been talked to death how 'Alien Resurrection' painted the series into a corner a little too unnecessarily. It essentially got rid of both the Colonial Marines and Weyland-Yutani, only to replace them both with the far more inept United Systems Military. It also essentially destroyed any possibility that the derelict might have survived the explosion of Hadley's hope.

Now, there are ways around those factors, but the actual film limited certain iconic possibilities rather than expanded upon them.

Still, I'm one of those who liked Ripley 8. It's just a shame that the only continuation of her we got was in the awful 'Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator' comic, which did the character no real justice, at all (or even the concept it relied upon, come to that).

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 30, 2016, 10:50:47 PM
Well, it's been talked to death how 'Alien Resurrection' painted the series into a corner a little too unnecessarily. It essentially got rid of both the Colonial Marines and Weyland-Yutani, only to replace them both with the far more inept United Systems Military. It also essentially destroyed any possibility that the derelict might have survived the explosion of Hadley's hope.

Now, there are ways around those factors, but the actual film limited certain iconic possibilities rather than expanded upon them.

Still, I'm one of those who liked Ripley 8. It's just a shame that the only continuation of her we got was in the awful 'Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator' comic, which did the character no real justice, at all (or even the concept it relied upon, come to that).

The USCM were never gotten rid of, we just don't see them, and, according to the cannonical novels, Weyland-Yutani was still about and used the falling of the Auriga as a platform for taking over pretty much everything. The thing about them being bought out by Wal-mart was pure nonsense said as a way of painting the corporation as a pathetic entity, which considering WY's butting of heads with the military, makes sense.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

New storyline.  Ripley died.  It's one of the reasons I could never get on board with Resurrection

It's a huge Universe with so much potential, something new would be refreshing

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Considering what's in those new recent novels, I can't seriously take them as canonical, sorry. Too much unintentionally hilarious moustache-twirling. :)

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

I didn't mind the version of Ripley in Female War

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 30, 2016, 03:00:27 AM
Without having any solid details on what the new story will involve, it's not really possible to give much of an opinion on this. Ripley 8 is certainly not ever going to return, since Weaver has said she doesn't want to portray that character again.

Quote from: Master on Aug 29, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
Aliens also isn't horror per se.

It can be argued that 'Aliens' actually has more horror in it than 'Alien' did. It's at least about equal. It's just that people tend to remember the explosions more (which is ironic, since the Nostromo's demise looked far more destructive).

Aliens has just as much horror and suspense. Actually, the turning of the screw is more relentless in Aliens. Just because the tension in Aliens is punctuated with a gunshot rather than a headbite, doesn't mean it's not horror.

Aliens not qualifying as horror is a perplexing notion. Even those who recognize it foremost as an action picture are cognizant that it's horror.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 30, 2016, 11:24:09 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 30, 2016, 03:00:27 AM
Without having any solid details on what the new story will involve, it's not really possible to give much of an opinion on this. Ripley 8 is certainly not ever going to return, since Weaver has said she doesn't want to portray that character again.

Quote from: Master on Aug 29, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
Aliens also isn't horror per se.

It can be argued that 'Aliens' actually has more horror in it than 'Alien' did. It's at least about equal. It's just that people tend to remember the explosions more (which is ironic, since the Nostromo's demise looked far more destructive).

Aliens has just as much horror and suspense. Actually, the turning of the screw is more relentless in Aliens. Just because the tension in Aliens is punctuated with a gunshot rather than a headbite, doesn't mean it's not horror.

Aliens not qualifying as horror is a perplexing notion. Even those who recognize it foremost as an action picture are cognizant that it's horror.

It's more terror than horror.  Which isn't a bad thing.  My only gripe with Aliens, is because it's so godamn awesome in places, it's hard to be scared, because I have such a good time watching it

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Ah.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I would much prefer a sequel to Alien Resurrection than a retcon, but for some reason that will never happen.  I have no idea why though, as there is lots of potential there.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 31, 2016, 03:09:53 AM
I would much prefer a sequel to Alien Resurrection than a retcon, but for some reason that will never happen.  I have no idea why though, as there is lots of potential there.

Totally agree with you on that one.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they go the A:R route anyways, but manage to sneak in both Ripley (Eight) and (some kind of) Hicks in some manner.

What if Ripley 8 IS the Alien threat in the movie - the Queen of the hive - and the only way to get to her is to fokk around with her jumbled hybrid genetic memory, exploiting her human emotions. They manufacture, or clone, an aged Hicks and Newt, maybe even Amanda, to lure her in? Quite hoaky, yes, but so is this whole recon thing. Or maybe having weird dream sequences where Alien Queen Ripley 8 "fight" her back to humanity with this imaginary aged Hicks and Newt? Could fail really bad, but hey - Hicks and Newt is a must, right?

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 31, 2016, 03:31:25 AM
What if Ripley 8 IS the Alien threat in the movie - the Queen of the hive

Alien: Within. The fifth installment of the sci-fi horror classic.  ;D

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Aug 31, 2016, 03:31:25 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 31, 2016, 03:09:53 AM

Totally agree with you on that one.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they go the A:R route anyways, but manage to sneak in both Ripley (Eight) and (some kind of) Hicks in some manner.

What if Ripley 8 IS the Alien threat in the movie - the Queen of the hive - and the only way to get to her is to fokk around with her jumbled hybrid genetic memory, exploiting her human emotions. They manufacture, or clone, an aged Hicks and Newt, maybe even Amanda, to lure her in? Quite hoaky, yes, but so is this whole recon thing. Or maybe having weird dream sequences where Alien Queen Ripley 8 "fight" her back to humanity with this imaginary aged Hicks and Newt? Could fail really bad, but hey - Hicks and Newt is a must, right?

Hicks and Newt perished in the furnace of Fury 161.  They were dead before Clemens could take a blood sample. 

But I like the idea of Ripley turning into a Queen.

Having Hicks & Newt return in a dream would be cool, also (there was originally going to be a dream sequence with Newt in A:R, and also Michael Biehn turned up in a dream in the extended cut of T2).

You are only limited by your imagination.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think you can get around this for adventures set in between the films but for a sequel following Resurrection, yeah it was unnecessarily painted into a corner. They made the situation that dire that the only way they could get them back was by cloning Ripley.

That's not to say there can't be some other source of Aliens out there that USM didn't know about. Or there's the Ripley 7 scar that can be spun off of.

QuoteStill, I'm one of those who liked Ripley 8. It's just a shame that the only continuation of her we got was in the awful 'Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator' comic, which did the character no real justice, at all (or even the concept it relied upon, come to that).

There was Aliens: Original Sin too. That one wasn't too great from what I remember.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 30, 2016, 10:50:47 PMStill, I'm one of those who liked Ripley 8. It's just a shame that the only continuation of her we got was in the awful 'Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator' comic, which did the character no real justice, at all (or even the concept it relied upon, come to that).

There was that Original Sin novel which was a sequel to the film, with Ripley 8 and the other Betty crewmembers in it. Not read it myself.

EDIT: Should've read Hicks' post above :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed