Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jul 23, 2015, 10:49:34 PM

Author
Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn? (Read 16,295 times)

MrSpaceJockey

Digitally de-aging actors has improved a great deal in the last couple of years.

The technology made its debut, I believe, in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Sure, it wasn't really all that convincing in the days of Tron: Legacy or Terminator Salvation.

Two films this year, however, have improved upon the effect.  First of all - the 'young' T-800 in several shots of Terminator: Genisys looked rather good, even if other shots stayed within the uncanny valley.

Ant-Man , which came out this month, is responsible for bringing about some of the most convincing results, in its opening scene.  Everywhere I've seen very very positive reactions to the execution of this effect.  Many audience members I've read on various forums or seen in Youtube reviews say how they were legitimately fooled. 

Spoiler
[close]

The only real criticism I've heard regard slight proportional inaccuracies, and how the mouth was sometimes unconvincing.  It's still a tremendous improvement for the last couple of years.  And with a few more years before we can expect Neil Blomkamp's entry into the Alien series, do you think it is possible that it is that movie that will finally perfect the technology?

Do you guys think they should use this technology? Or should they stick with how the actors look now?

T Dog

NO!

I think he should set it 30 years after ALIENS and ultimately kill off Ripley and Hicks by the end of the movie so that ultimately the movie has the same outcome as 3 regarding those character stories.

windebieste

In order to kill Ripley off ad infinitum and return her continuously via resurrections and rectons you can't rely on Ms Weaver to be around for ever.  So bring on the CGI Ripleys and Hicks characters. 

Endless clones of them toting pulse rifles and gunning down watered down Xenos is what the public want.  Popcorn, childhood dreams and endless iterations of the same thing.

BRING IT!!  gon b gud.  cun't fail.

-Windebieste.

Xenomorphine

If the script requires it, that's what's going to happen. If it doesn't, it won't.

And none of us knows what the story involves.

Mulosba

yes I am tired of hollywood milking 30 year old franchises purely for the money. at least try to de age them in the process so we don't have geriatric protagonists.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 23, 2015, 11:59:08 PM
If the script requires it, that's what's going to happen. If it doesn't, it won't.

Indeed. Whilst the technology has improved, I'm not sure it'd be too practical for the effect to be sustained over an entire film. Weaver still looks good anyway so even if they don't de-age her, it's not like it'll look like "geriatrics" fighting Aliens.

Jarac

Jarac

Hell no. Just set it about 30 years later. Weaver still looks good and Biehn has still got it. De-aging tech just looks... meh to me. And sustaining that over a whole film? I hope Blompkamp doesn't go that route.

HuDaFuK

No. Every time I've seen it done it's been distractingly obvious.

THE CITY HUNTER

They did it to Paul walker in fast and furious(have not watched any of the movies but my friends tell me about it)but they did not show his face for to long maybe make Ripley and hicks have sustained injury on their face or maybe the hyper sleep affects their body speeding their body growth before adapting because Ripley has been in hyper sleep for quite a while.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 24, 2015, 01:49:26 PMThey did it to Paul walker in fast and furious

They didn't de-age Paul Walker. They digitally recreated his face for a few shots. And it's very noticeable that it's not real.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 24, 2015, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 24, 2015, 01:49:26 PMThey did it to Paul walker in fast and furious

They didn't de-age Paul Walker. They digitally recreated his face for a few shots. And it's very noticeable that it's not real.
If they did it with him nit even being there it is greater chance of them pulling it off with Weaver

HuDaFuK

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 24, 2015, 02:11:04 PMIf they did it with him nit even being there it is greater chance of them pulling it off with Weaver

They did it and it was very obvious they'd done it. Hats off to them for what they achieved and all but it was far from flawless and his face obviously wasn't real in several shots.

Chances are it would be equally noticeable if they did it with old Rippers. I suspect it would at least be noticeable enough to be a distraction. Not to mention how much it would cost to do that for an entire two-hour (possibly plus) movie? That kind of CGI really isn't cheap.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 23, 2015, 11:59:08 PM

Concept art shows an old Hicks and Ripley, so that's likely what it's going to be.

Quote from: HuDaFukNot to mention how much it would cost to do that for an entire two-hour (possibly plus) movie? That kind of CGI really isn't cheap.

Quite, doing that kind of extensive CGI work on the two main leads on a R-Rated (read: limited budget) film is highly unlikely.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 24, 2015, 12:55:57 PM
No. Every time I've seen it done it's been distractingly obvious.

Have you seen Ant-Man?

Xenomorphine

Really quite recent.

And she looked perfectly fine in 'Vamps', 'Avatar' and 'Cabin In The Woods'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed