There Are Some Places In The Universe You Don't Go Alone, Aliens 35th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #129

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2021, 03:49:53 PM

Author
There Are Some Places In The Universe You Don't Go Alone, Aliens 35th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #129 (Read 13,750 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 129th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Today mark’s the 35th anniversary of Aliens’ general release in the United States and Canada! And to mark the occasion Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and VoodooMagic are back to celebrate 35 years of Aliens!

We discuss the circumstances around our first viewings of the film (and there’s some good ones!), Theatrical vs. Special Edition, the legacy of James Cameron’s futuristic designs, and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

We’ve previously had the pleasure of being joined by several actors who worked on Aliens, including Trevor Steedman (aka Pvt. Weirzbowski), Daniel Kash (aka Pvt. Spunkmeyer), Cynthia Scott (aka Cpl. Dietrich), and Carrie Henn (aka Newt)!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Kradan

Kradan

Man, I forgot about this coming out lol  ;D

2 hours of goodness ? Yummy

Voodoo's story was the best one, hands down

426Buddy

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 18, 2021, 07:27:58 PM
Voodoo's story was the best one, hands down

I guess people will walk away from that one saying.... well that explains a lot!  :laugh:

Prez

Thank you guys. Perfect timing just as a 7 day lockdown for my home state is announced here in Australia.

City Hunter Yautja

Great podcast!

My Aliens memory is that my brother popped in the VHS and had me watch it. I saw Aliens before Alien, and oddly it was original film that made me sleep with my pillow over my mouth, and hear the sounds of a Facehugger crawling about (imagination). Aliens didn't truamatize me because it felt very much more optimistic, marines (heroes) versus Aliens (monsters), whereas Alien messed with me psychologically.

Alien 3 was actually the first footage I saw as a kid, but the first full length viewing was Aliens, which my bro quoted the whole way through  before iconic lines like "Nobody touch nothin"were spoken. Aliens and Predator were are bonding films, it was a rite of passage for me being seen less as little brother that I could watch films like Aliens.

Aliens I have memorized, and I love the Theatrical Version for the same reasons Voodoo said, its more mysterious, suspenseful and akin to visiting Derelict in first film only this time its the Colony. I felt the dread was reborn that we are Ripley, we know what is lurking, what threat is in the shadows, and that anticipation creates a tension that is palpable. The Director's Cut slowed the pacing down, and the only scene I actually like from it is the Sentry Guns, because it establishes why there are fewer Xenomorphs encountered in The Hive at the climax with Ripley and Newt.

One of my favorite lines is Ripley in Loader when she emerges to face the Queen Alien, "Get away from her you bitch!" ;)

I wanted to comment about how James Cameron was inspired by Starship Troopers and that there was a comment about how some people do some things better than others in the craft of filmmaking, a great example of this is M. Night Shamalyan's "The Happening" and Netflix's "Bird Box." Both had the premise of an invisible force making people commit suicide, but Bird Box did a better job of creating tension, mystery, and world building. You can have a great idea, but its executing it in a unique way that matters in the end.

Prez

This is such a great podcast. The stories are all brilliant.

I was fortunate enough to be of the age (14) to see it in the cinema (local Premiere here in Adelaide at the now defunct Regent Arcade cinemas). Told this story a dozen times on here of course - we were given some commemorative badges on the night (still got em https://www.instagram.com/p/BKHzT6djq40/). There was a dude dressed up as a marine and another as a Xeno.

But for some stupid reason I had the Making of the Film magazine that I read prior to seeing the film so I the story was spoilt. Oh well still absolutely had a blast.

XenoHunter99

It's a good podcast. I didn't listen all the way to the end, but the part I heard was good. It's just...I can only stand to hear so much effusive praise heaped on a movie I don't really enjoy any more. I used to like it a lot, though parts of it irritated me from the very start. Now, I can scarcely stand to watch it. I find the faults (as I perceive them) spoil it more than the great moments can save it.

Kradan

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 23, 2021, 05:53:01 PM
It's a good podcast. I didn't listen all the way to the end, but the part I heard was good. It's just...I can only stand to hear so much effusive praise heaped on a movie I don't really enjoy any more. I used to like it a lot, though parts of it irritated me from the very start. Now, I can scarcely stand to watch it. I find the faults (as I perceive them) spoil it more than the great moments can save it.

Care to elaborate on what you consider its faults? Constructive criticism is always welcome. It is rare on these boards to meet someone who isn't fond of Aliens. I am honestly curious what you consider its faults. I may be major fan of Aliens myself, but I like hearing why someone isn't as keen on it as I am.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Dear Kraden and Rankles,

:P

Kradan

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 24, 2021, 02:20:28 AM
Dear Kraden and Rankles,

https://media.giphy.com/media/vvDcgQHzYPFQY/giphy.gif

Dear XenoHunter99,

:D

Look, I've myself cooled down a bit towards Aliens in recent years. I don't watch it very often, these days I lean more towards the third one. But I can't dismiss the excitement Aliens gave me when I was younger. I can't dismiss the thrill of the hive attack scene. I can't dismiss the tension of facehuggers crawling around the med lab. I can't dismiss the jaw-dropping moment of seeing Queen for the first time. Back in the day, I didn't have opportunity to watch the movie whenever I want - so every time I managed to talk my dad into watching it felt like a special day, like a holiday. Without Aliens my fandom would not lasted as long as it did

I can't stand whole "Alien vs Aliens" argument, comments like "Cameron turned them into bugs, Aliens aren't threat anymore, it's just dumb action pew-pew 80's flick ... " etc. because Aliens is so much more than that

But you talked about "faults" and as City Hunter Yautja I would also like to hear - what are they ?

Rankles75

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 24, 2021, 02:20:28 AM
Dear Kraden and Rankles,

https://media.giphy.com/media/vvDcgQHzYPFQY/giphy.gif

;D

Just kidding around, though I would be interested to hear what issues you have with the film. I freely admit to being an unashamed mark for both films in the series, so I'm sure I give Aliens a free pass for some stuff that others wouldn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed