Alien 3 - Third Cut enhanced re-edit by 15Maf

Started by BringbackJonesy!, Jun 28, 2019, 03:59:18 PM

Author
Alien 3 - Third Cut enhanced re-edit by 15Maf (Read 41,574 times)

Sabres21768

BringbackJonesy!

@ Sabres21768 - check your PMs

Darkseed

Could you send me the link as well? Sorry to botter.

BringbackJonesy!

@ Darkseed - check your PMs

BlueMarsalis79

Can't say I'm a big fan, parts near the beginning I find interesting, the playing with expectation does work. But in terms of actual improvement on the Special Edition beyond that? Nothing notable in my honest opinion. It's not even an improvement on the visual level like this video :

https://youtu.be/aI5x8ybJZxM

In fact this might even be a step down opting for the Dog instead of the Ox host (that's undoubtedly more in tune with what the film's saying) and instead of taking out or altering parts that come across as mostly unnecessary, this version adds on nearly everything it can.

Although I can understand the logic behind much of the decisions taken, a lot of rather obvious things that surely make a net positive change stay bafflingly identical, for example: For the opening no shots of inexplicable Egg(s) or Facehugger(s), up until the abattoir, no Murphy asking about a thing we never see, putting us on the same page as Ripley, and then we get filled in about what happened exactly by Bishop as our protagonist does. Perhaps also concealing the fact the cryotubes appear different from Aliens to AlienĀ³ until we see them slide from the Sulaco into the EEV. No redundant Arthur and Troy checking through batteries. No redundant "Let's make it to the furnace." No "I think I've found Vincent!" And change Lance Henriksen's Credit to: "Bishop & Michael Bishop"

I'm sorry but it doesn't come close to the potential lurking within.

BringbackJonesy!

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 04, 2021, 12:28:59 AM
In fact this might even be a step down opting for the Dog instead of the Ox host (that's undoubtedly more in tune with what the film's saying) and instead of taking out or altering parts that come across as mostly unnecessary, this version adds on nearly everything it can.

@ Trash Queen - while it was interesting to see that person's regrade video of certain shots that you linked to in your post, I gotta say that I found 15MaF's regrading to make a big improvement on the 'rod puppet' shots compared to the official releases.  They were awful in places before, and look much better in his version I'd confidently say.

Despite it's flashes of brilliance and a great soundtrack score, I was always sorely dissatisfied with elements of both the 'Theatrical cut' and 'Assembly cut' versions of the movie....and may not have really bothered with it again.  But 15MaF's particular combination of both versions has turned ALIEN 3 into a must-watch again for me after ALIEN and ALIENS....especially as he included the 'rottweiler birth' which I always preferred.

And I'm actually glad that he didn't remove the likes of the 'mystery egg' during the opening credits, as it helps to retain the 'anomalies' which make it easier to look on it all as a 'cryosleep nightmare' that Ripley has on her safe trip home with Newt and co., if I'm inclined to do so!  ;D

However, I'd also be interested to hear what others thought of it too, who have managed to watch this edit now.

BlueMarsalis79

Glad it maintains the shit parts? Yeah okay.

It's mostly just the Special Edition, with extra parts from the Theatrical Edition that make it even longer with no benefit, or nearly none anyway.

It's not so drastic an upgrade that it's worth telling people to seek it out over any official Blu-ray release.

If it changed things substantially, like my suggestions it might be, as it stands it's just not.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

What can I tell you, except I find this re-edit a much more satisfying watch overall than either of the official releases. 

But both those cuts will always be there for those that prefer them, so it's all's good for those that do.

The_Nostromo_Files

Could someone who's seen it (and willing to) write a detailed review of it? Sound interesting

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

This might be helpful to those interested if you scroll down these links-

Some reviews on the edit - https://ifdb.fanedit.org/alien-3-third-cut/reviews

15MaF's detailed info. about the edit - https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/alien-3-third-cut.17250/

(Note: that site doesn't allow you to post there asking for direct links, so just PM me here if you want it)

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Apr 06, 2021, 12:52:35 PM
This might be helpful to those interested you scroll down these links-

Some reviews on the edit - https://ifdb.fanedit.org/alien-3-third-cut/reviews

15MaF's detailed info. about the edit - https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/alien-3-third-cut.17250/

(Note: that site doesn't allow you to post there asking for direct links, so just PM me here if you want it)
Thanks. And helpful, they are. 

BringbackJonesy!

@ NuQueenLV-426 -  check your PMs

BlueMarsalis79

People actually post direct links to fan edits all the time here.

dHunter333

Please pm me a link I'm very curious!

BringbackJonesy!

@ dHunter333 - check your PMs

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed