Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,447 times)

whiterabbit

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 04, 2018, 05:13:43 PM
Blomkamp is on record as saying that Alien is his favourite film in the franchise. But considering that he was planning to do a sequel to Aliens at the behest of Sigourney Weaver (what a fangirl!) it would make sense to have pulse rifles, dropships, and Queens in it, no?

Did all these nutters on here also wail and gnash their teeth when they found out that the new Star Wars films would also include lightsabers, X-Wings and Tie-Fighters? It boggles the mind.

Retconning Alien 3 is lazy, unoriginal, and even—depending on who you ask—creatively bankrupt as shit. I'm sorry you still don't understand this, I guess?

SM

Quote from: Gash on Jan 05, 2018, 12:13:25 AM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 04, 2018, 08:48:32 PM
What's the story on "Guest" posts?

Suspicious.

I think when Hicks posts a News items open for comment on the main page, they - and the comments - get replicated on the forums.

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2018, 03:54:37 PM

His concept art also showed the Derelict. He'd also spoken about how much Alien: Isolation had effected his work on the project. He's also said he's a huge fan of Alien, of the psycho-sexual aspects of the series.

And besides, Alien Resurrection had a Queen, AvP had a Queen - that didn't equate to Aliens 2.0. The return of Alien equipment is visual continuity too - something people have an issue with Prometheus for.

Prometheus did not copy Alien's designs, except for the Derelict and Space Jockey, kind of essential if you are making a prequel revolving around them.  There was no Nostromo Mark II in Prometheus.  There was a flamethrower, though, not exactly a weapon unique to Alien but fair enough.
Wasn't that a huge complaint about Prometheus is the lack of visual continuity?

Yes, A:R had a Queen, that's about it.  No pulse rifles, no dropships, no colonial marines.  A:R is its own universe.

AVP and AVPR are fanboy movies.  Anderson is a big fan of Aliens, hence all the references to Aliens and the inclusion of the Queen for the big finale.  AVPR has a mock APC and Ripley/Newt.  But obviously, being set in the present day, they couldn't have dropships and pulse rifles.  Neill's film would have taken this fanboyism to the next level.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2018, 12:32:00 AM

Suspicious.

I think when Hicks posts a News items open for comment on the main page, they - and the comments - get replicated on the forums.

I see that now. A chance for visitors to chime in who have no interest in registering as a forum member.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 05, 2018, 02:49:43 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2018, 03:54:37 PM
His concept art also showed the Derelict. He'd also spoken about how much Alien: Isolation had effected his work on the project. He's also said he's a huge fan of Alien, of the psycho-sexual aspects of the series.

And besides, Alien Resurrection had a Queen, AvP had a Queen - that didn't equate to Aliens 2.0. The return of Alien equipment is visual continuity too - something people have an issue with Prometheus for.

Prometheus did not copy Alien's designs, except for the Derelict and Space Jockey, kind of essential if you are making a prequel revolving around them.  There was no Nostromo Mark II in Prometheus.  There was a flamethrower, though, not exactly a weapon unique to Alien but fair enough.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here... Yes, I'm saying that Prometheus not faithfully replicating the Derelict aesthetics and that the tech in the film doesn't look like the Nostromo or Hadley's Hope are bad things as they're not visually consistent with Alien and Aliens.  And yeah, I know the reasons why and I can buy into the Prometheus being a luxury ship thing but it's still an issue for many people.

Having visual consistency by using similar rifles and ships is good and nothing to turn your nose up at Blomkamp about.

QuoteYes, A:R had a Queen, that's about it.  No pulse rifles, no dropships, no colonial marines.  A:R is its own universe.

But it still had a Queen. It's still set within the same continuity.

QuoteAVP and AVPR are fanboy movies.  Anderson is a big fan of Aliens, hence all the references to Aliens and the inclusion of the Queen for the big finale.  AVPR has a mock APC and Ripley/Newt.  But obviously, being set in the present day, they couldn't have dropships and pulse rifles.  Neill's film would have taken this fanboyism to the next level.

Because...it has the same elements that other films have...? Those do not equate to anything other than visual and story consistency within the film. We don't actually know anything about the story. You cannot judge with any certainty that his Alien 3 would have been "fanboyism to the next level."

If anything, this just comes across as another sad moment of this Scott vs. Blomkamp division that seems to have taken hold.

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2018, 12:32:00 AM

Suspicious.

When we post news items on the front page we're able to link it to a forum thread. If there isn't an existing one it'll create one with the content of the news post as the first post. These linked threads are able to posted on by Guests via the front page article. They're all pulling in from and contributing to the same data.  :)

Hyperdyne120-a2

Dodged a bullet imho

Russ

Quote from: Yahzee on Jan 04, 2018, 05:03:08 PM
...write off two movies as dreams... genius! Where did you came up with such original storytelling ideas?
Sent from my ALE-L23 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your enlightening input.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 05, 2018, 12:22:04 AM
Retconning Alien 3 is lazy, unoriginal, and even—depending on who you ask—creatively bankrupt as shit. I'm sorry you still don't understand this, I guess?

Good thing that he wasn't planning on "retconning" Alien 3 then, I guess?

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 05, 2018, 02:49:43 AM

Yes, A:R had a Queen, that's about it.  No pulse rifles, no dropships, no colonial marines.  A:R is its own universe.

AVP and AVPR are fanboy movies.  Anderson is a big fan of Aliens, hence all the references to Aliens and the inclusion of the Queen for the big finale.  AVPR has a mock APC and Ripley/Newt.  But obviously, being set in the present day, they couldn't have dropships and pulse rifles.  Neill's film would have taken this fanboyism to the next level.

And Alien 3 had pulse rifles, Conestoga-class troop transport ships and a Queen. So by your definition Alien 3 is a "fanboy" film as well.

BishopShouldGo

The Eighth Passenger doing the Lord's work.

Deep down, Neill still wants to make this movie. He hasn't moved on. I really hope he gets to make it someday.

Farsight Blogger

Farsight Blogger

I think there's legs in this idea of Blomkamp's, and if he has moved on then I hope it finds life with someone else.

Of all the directors out there, I'd love to see Blomkamp's take on this, as well as seeing Villeneuve make a slow-burn Alien film, especially after his BR2049.

judge death

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 05, 2018, 04:47:36 PM
The Eighth Passenger doing the Lord's work.

Deep down, Neill still wants to make this movie. He hasn't moved on. I really hope he gets to make it someday.
Moved on to what? Last I checked blomkamp is doing short promo videos on youtube which the idea is to get a movie studio interested in paying him to do a full scale movie. Not working on any big movie last time I checked. So if disney offers him alien 5 I doubt he would say no since he isnt doing anything now.

SM

He's crowdfunding Firebase.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: judge death on Jan 05, 2018, 06:41:27 PM
Moved on to what? Last I checked blomkamp is doing short promo videos on youtube which the idea is to get a movie studio interested in paying him to do a full scale movie. Not working on any big movie last time I checked. So if disney offers him alien 5 I doubt he would say no since he isnt doing anything now.

Nope, he's doing The Gone World next. Fox offered him that in lieu of Alien 5. And in-between that the Oats stuff as mentioned by SM above.

QuoteLast I checked blomkamp is doing short promo videos on youtube which the idea is to get a movie studio interested in paying him to do a full scale movie.

The theory of oats has always been - attempt to create a studio funded by fans directly. Don't take scripts to Hollywood. Rely on the audience. Believe in them. Huge risk. If it works oats could rock - Neill Blomkamp

Deaconschristpose

As cool as this could be, can we stop calling it Alien 5? It's Alien 2.5, or really Aliens 2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed