Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,444 times)

brokentusk420

Bye Felicia!!!

JustAnotherXenoInTheHive

JustAnotherXenoInTheHive

DISNEY HEAR ME PLEASE!
MAKE ALIEN 5!!!!!!!

Russ

Why is being a fan of something you're lucky enough to work on a bad thing? I don't understand the animosity towards NB simply because he's a fan (as we all are) of the series and has pictures of himself with a pulse rifle (as some of us do) or whatever. I think it goes a bit deeper than a director d'jour saying "I've always been a huge fan of the comics" (as they always are)... seems genuine affection from NB.

What could be called into question - subjectively - is his ability to deliver a satisfying movie as his films after D-9 have been divisive to say the least and - objectively though I can't quote the box office - only modest successes?

As for Ripley et al - I've said a zillion times - you can have the events of A3 and A:R in tact if they handwave them off as hyperspace dreams. Totally fits - even in the prequels, these dreams play a part in the movies (I can't remember the line in Prometheus, but Shaw quotes it directly from her father in the dream that David watches). Further, the whole reason Guy Pearce was there was to show "Young Weyland" and have David interact with him.

Given that's all established... I can't think of a better way to get rid of ... yet keep at the same time... the existing movies.

Everyone wins. Except those that think its heresy, but they're mostly on this forum. Mostly.

Dill-On

great news!!!  ;D

BigDaddyJohn

Good for him, it's better this way

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 04, 2018, 01:06:39 AM
It wouldn't get the charge of 'fan fiction' if it was its own beast, but it's clearly not.  It doesn't stand on its own. 

The director himself stated he is a massive fan of Aliens.  The concept art has shown Queens, dropships and pulse rifles from Aliens.

Neill himself holding his own prop pulse rifle. 

How much more fanboy can you get.

His concept art also showed the Derelict. He'd also spoken about how much Alien: Isolation had effected his work on the project. He's also said he's a huge fan of Alien, of the psycho-sexual aspects of the series.

And besides, Alien Resurrection had a Queen, AvP had a Queen - that didn't equate to Aliens 2.0. The return of Alien equipment is visual continuity too - something people have an issue with Prometheus for.

Yahzee

Quote from: Russ on Jan 04, 2018, 01:13:12 PM
Why is being a fan of something you're lucky enough to work on a bad thing? I don't understand the animosity towards NB simply because he's a fan (as we all are) of the series and has pictures of himself with a pulse rifle (as some of us do) or whatever. I think it goes a bit deeper than a director d'jour saying "I've always been a huge fan of the comics" (as they always are)... seems genuine affection from NB.

What could be called into question - subjectively - is his ability to deliver a satisfying movie as his films after D-9 have been divisive to say the least and - objectively though I can't quote the box office - only modest successes?

As for Ripley et al - I've said a zillion times - you can have the events of A3 and A:R in tact if they handwave them off as hyperspace dreams. Totally fits - even in the prequels, these dreams play a part in the movies (I can't remember the line in Prometheus, but Shaw quotes it directly from her father in the dream that David watches). Further, the whole reason Guy Pearce was there was to show "Young Weyland" and have David interact with him.

Given that's all established... I can't think of a better way to get rid of ... yet keep at the same time... the existing movies.

Everyone wins. Except those that think its heresy, but they're mostly on this forum. Mostly.
...write off two movies as dreams... genius! Where did you came up with such original storytelling ideas?

Sent from my ALE-L23 using Tapatalk

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 03, 2018, 10:43:49 PM
There's how much profit it made for the studio then there's also how successful it was in terms of box office.  Two separate things.

Aliens was more profitable but that's because it had a low budget.  Its returns weren't that high, especially in international box office numbers.

If Aliens cost $1 and made $100 then it would have made 100x its production budget.   Doesn't matter, what's important is how many people actually went to see it, not the profit for the studio.

Prometheus needed to make back a minimum of x2.5 times it's production budget, possibly even a lot more depending on the marketing costs just to break even. At the very best it's actual profit would have been around $70 - 80 Million 2012 dollars. And that's an extremely optimistic guesstimate. When you adjust Alien and Aliens box office totals and deduct the production and marketing expenses you'll find that they still made a lot more money than Prometheus.

QuoteDoesn't matter, what's important is how many people actually went to see it, not the profit for the studio.

The fact that a lot of people went to see Prometheus can mostly be attributed to it's huge marketing budget. The more you spend on hyping a film the more butts you'll get on theater seats irrespective of the film's actual quality. In some cases word-of-mouth can help a film that is actually very good but considering Prometheus' weekly box office drop-offs that wasn't the case. By contrast, word of mouth likely helped Alien and Aliens a lot considering their performance versus their relatively minuscule (in comparison the Prometheus) marketing budget.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2018, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 04, 2018, 01:06:39 AM
It wouldn't get the charge of 'fan fiction' if it was its own beast, but it's clearly not.  It doesn't stand on its own. 

The director himself stated he is a massive fan of Aliens.  The concept art has shown Queens, dropships and pulse rifles from Aliens.

Neill himself holding his own prop pulse rifle. 

How much more fanboy can you get.

His concept art also showed the Derelict. He'd also spoken about how much Alien: Isolation had effected his work on the project. He's also said he's a huge fan of Alien, of the psycho-sexual aspects of the series.

And besides, Alien Resurrection had a Queen, AvP had a Queen - that didn't equate to Aliens 2.0. The return of Alien equipment is visual continuity too - something people have an issue with Prometheus for.

Blomkamp is on record as saying that Alien is his favourite film in the franchise. But considering that he was planning to do a sequel to Aliens at the behest of Sigourney Weaver (what a fangirl!) it would make sense to have pulse rifles, dropships, and Queens in it, no?

Did all these nutters on here also wail and gnash their teeth when they found out that the new Star Wars films would also include lightsabers, X-Wings and Tie-Fighters? It boggles the mind.

The Beast

The Beast

Amen to that! You get it. Most ALIENS fans don't.

MovieFan

MovieFan

This film is dead and will stay dead.   At least until Neill Blomkamp has himself a real hit at the box office.  Blomkamp hasn't been with an actual financially successful film since District 9 almost a decade ago (and I credit a lot of that films success to Peter Jackson's skill as a producer). He probably won't have a new theatrical release until 2020 at the earliest.  Sigourney Weaver is already pushing 70.   Even if things turn around fast the earliest Blomkamp could humor doing this project again isn't until maybe 2021 or 2022.  The ship has sailed.  The film is dead.

I'll say again:
There's only two paths for the next ALIEN project. 

A. Ridley Scott - who is not only one of the most respected film directors in the industry but as a producer is also one of the most powerful and financially successful guys around with involvement & control over dozens of highly desired projects through his Scott Free Productions (Murder on the Orient Express is a Scott Free film, was a hit and could kick off a new older audience franchise and he has his hand in that) - gets to complete his loose prequel trilogy with DAVID.   Probably the project he'll get to right after he finishes THE CARTEL which has been on his docket for about 3 to 4 years now.   

B. Disney abandons the theatrical market for ALIEN altogether and takes the franchise to their upcoming Disney Streaming service as an Anthology TV series.  Alien has always been a big franchise but even at its most successful it can never compete with the financial success of Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar or Disney animation and reaping the most profits is what Disney is after.   From a business sense it would be better to abandon theaters when it comes to Alien and just go streaming. 

Frankly, I just want DAVID.   After that Disney can do whatever they want.   

But Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN5 is dead.

Biomechanoid

What's the story on "Guest" posts?

Beatnation

maron

Maybe Disney will make an ALIEN 5 without Blomkamp and Sigourney instead  :o

Brzrkr

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a full reboot.

They have a very successful formula with Marvel and Lucasfilm. It would make sense to have someone take the reigns like Feige and Kennedy have.

kwisatz

Quote from: maron on Jan 04, 2018, 10:43:55 PM
Maybe Disney will make an ALIEN 5 without Blomkamp and Sigourney instead  :o

Maybe Sigourney will make an ALIEN 5 without Blomkamp and Disney  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed