Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,835 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteOne person who he suggests Chappie wasn't for was Ridley Scott, the gatekeeper of the Alien franchise, who earlier that year had expressed interest in Blomkamp's concept for a sequel. In February, it was announced. In March, Chappie was released. In October, it was cancelled. "It's possible that Ridley watched Chappie and he was like, this guy can't do Alien so let's just go ahead and move on," he says with a smile.

Blomkamp's film would have carried on from James Cameron's Aliens, bringing back Sigourney Weaver, who also starred in Chappie. The collapse was hard on him. "I also felt bad for Sigourney because she was really into what I had brought forward," he says. "I felt like [for] audiences who loved Aliens, there was an opportunity to do one more film with Sigourney in a way that may have satiated what people were looking for and what I think I was looking for." He adds: "What doesn't make sense is that I feel like it's what the audience wanted so it's strange because Fox would never really turn down money."

I ask if he spoke to Scott after, if any more specific clarification was given. "Not after, no no no, there's no coming back from that," he says. "I'm not gonna work on a film for two years and have the rug pulled out from underneath me and then go hang out and have beers. It's exactly why I don't want to do IP based on other people's stuff ever again." (He also denied a report that emerged earlier this year that his Alien film was back on track: "I'm sure they will make many films with that piece of IP, it just doesn't include me.")

His comment about intellectual property seems extreme, especially given his dalliances with other franchises but when I ask if he's serious, he relents a tad. "It's not that black and white," he says. "If there's something amazing and the set-up is right, I wouldn't say no but generally speaking after Halo and after Alien, it would be unwise to do that."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/aug/21/neill-blomkamp-interview-demonic-chappie-alien

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Honestly, after Halo's collapse I'm shocked that he did end up trying with Alien (and then again with Robocop) at all.

I do feel bad for him in this situation, 'cause I'm genuinely into his style and really like District 9 and Chappie and some of the Oats stuff, but as much as I think he could have done a very good Alien movie, I don't think the particular one he was working on (based on what we had seen in the released concept art) would have been for me at all.

His Robocop movie's cancelation honestly still feels to me like a much, much bigger loss than his Alien movie's cancelation, to be quite honest. A Blomkamp-directed Robocop, satirizing the current socio-political climate, is something I was all over from day one.

I'm going to check out his new movie, Demonic, today I think.

Voodoo Magic

• I ask if he spoke to Scott after, if any more specific clarification was given. "Not after, no no no, there's no coming back from that," he says. "I'm not gonna work on a film for two years and have the rug pulled out from underneath me and then go hang out and have beers. It's exactly why I don't want to do IP based on other people's stuff ever again." (He also denied a report that emerged earlier this year that his Alien film was back on track: "I'm sure they will make many films with that piece of IP, it just doesn't include me.")

Ridddddleeeey....

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 21, 2021, 09:39:21 AM
Quote"Not after, no no no, there's no coming back from that," he says. "I'm not gonna work on a film for two years and have the rug pulled out from underneath me and then go hang out and have beers.

Guess he ain't gonna be watchin' The Last Duel and Gucci then? :D

[cancerblack]

QuoteHe adds: "What doesn't make sense is that I feel like it's what the audience wanted so it's strange because Fox would never really turn down money."

The fact he's probably right about most of the audience wanting it is the best reason for not doing it.

People with shit taste don't deserve to get their way.

BlueMarsalis79

I appreciate it Riddles.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 21, 2021, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 21, 2021, 09:39:21 AM
Quote"Not after, no no no, there's no coming back from that," he says. "I'm not gonna work on a film for two years and have the rug pulled out from underneath me and then go hang out and have beers.

Guess he ain't gonna be watchin' The Last Duel and Gucci then? :D

There's always ice cream.

Baron Von Marlon

The man needs to realize he needs help, and that it's ok.
Bit similar in the music business. Like being good a singer doesn't automatically mean you can write good lyrics.

Immortan Jonesy

I don't know, I feel like only someone like Scott, Cameron or Nolan can do almost what they want. But maybe he should catapult his name by working with big IP's. I admit that it sounds easier said than done. Oh well, I'm just guessing.  :-\

But ultimately Blomkamp needs good scriptwriters. Perhaps in that sense it is something similar to Scott. He is an excellent director, but his films are genuinely good as long as he has a good script to work with.

Baron Von Marlon

Almost.
If they we're able to do what they wanted we would've got some different movies.

Almost every director needs a solid (co-)writer.
And both need a studio willing to back up those ideas.
Ah, movie business...

Immortan Jonesy

Seriously Jonesy, why don't you think more about what you're going to say? :'( I couldn't have said it better.  :)

Nameless Corporal

Nameless Corporal

"I felt like [for] audiences who loved Aliens, there was an opportunity to do one more film with Sigourney in a way that may have satiated what people were looking for and what I think I was looking for.... What doesn't make sense is that I feel like it's what the audience wanted so it's strange because Fox would never really turn down money."

Honestly people wanted to see a movie like this again way back in the 90s and Fox gave us Alien 3 lul though part of the blame I'd give to Sigourney herself who didn't want another run and gun movie....and years later she wants to be a part of it.

If Disney were smart they should've revived the project but hearing about the new tv-series in the works, set on Earth, and probably star a bunch of activists getting face hugged  :P ...maybe it'll be entertaining to watch.

Jurassicvania

Had to be rough spot for N.B.--even though I'm curious to what he would have done, I think his movie would have polarized fans on the retcon alone. Alien 3 was important in many ways--especially for those fans who have had massive personal loss and look around not seeing anyone else experience the same.

Drukathi

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 21, 2021, 06:50:44 PM
People with shit taste don't deserve to get their way.

That's why David Fincher renounced the Alien 3. He acted smart and didn't ruin his career with such a mistake.

BlueMarsalis79

'You know,' he concludes, 'if I make 10 shitty movies, I'll deserve the flak and if I go on to make 10 great ones, this'll probably be looked upon as my first bungled masterpiece.' -David Fincher

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed