I'm A Stranger Here Myself, What We'd Like To See For The Future of Alien & Predator – AvP Galaxy Podcast #117

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 13, 2020, 06:19:22 PM

Author
I'm A Stranger Here Myself, What We'd Like To See For The Future of Alien & Predator – AvP Galaxy Podcast #117 (Read 12,555 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 117th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Regular hosts Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop, Voodoo Magic and Xenomorphine reconvene to discuss their desires for where they’d like to see Alien and Predator go in the future!

Artwork by Darek Zabrocki, originally for the Aliens vs. Predator: The Hunt Begins.

We cover all sorts of possibilities in this episode including branding, the dreaded reboot, expanding the universe to include stories that don’t necessarily feature the Alien or Predator but still set within the universe, turning to streaming or TV, affordable merchandise and plenty more!

Unfortunately there was a little confusion over the topic of the podcast and AJ thought we were talking specifically about Alien vs. Predator when my intent had been to talk about Alien and Predator as a whole.

At one point we start discussing the rumored Alien vs. Predator anime and there’s a little confusion over what we actually knew about it. According to Perfect Organism who broke the news, it was a completed series that was produced and then shelved.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you’d rather see our beautiful faces, the video version of the podcast is also available on YouTube!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

El Pistolero

Great guys. My liston for tomorrow at work. Looking forward for this episode :)

XenoHunter99

That was fun. Well done all! Voodoo, glad you got all that off your chest.  ;D Xenomorphine, yes to Hellraiser 4 framing. That was a good movie, too. Bonus points for mentioning that. Ridgetop, I agree about keeping the AVP name. Hicks, that's quite a collection of stuff you've got!  8)

Kradan

Kradan

Huh. Haven't seen this one coming. But I'm glad - It reminds me of older episodes ( episodes 9, 12, 14, 32, 35 come to mind) when there wasn't as much new shit every month to talk about and Hicks and Co. had to come up with things to talk about rather than covering all the recent announcements and releases. Not that I against it but it's a nice change of things for the moment IMO

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Oct 13, 2020, 07:59:10 PM
Hicks, that's quite a collection of stuff you've got!  8)

Nukiemorph

WHAT I WANT:
Closure on David's story in literally any official medium.
Aside from that, I'm pretty much open to anything but a remake.

WHAT I EXPECT:
Worst case scenario:

Cheap Marvel comic cash grabs. Nothing more.
Best case scenario:
Disney's market research concludes that fans want Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and marines.
So they bring Sigourney back for a PG-13, action-focused film that probably features a surprise predator appearance, actively retconning 3 & 4 and ignoring the prequels altogether.
(I don't want this, but I'd consider it best case scenario because it would show the most financial investment in the IP.)

maddaddam

Great discussion. If Disney want to reignite the Alien films, they need to hire Denis Villeneuve to take the helm (still would love Ridley to finish his David trilogy first). He's the only director I can think of who can do serious sci-fi on a big budget. Arrival/Blade Runner/Dune/Alien - it makes sense. I disagree with Blumhouse getting involved, don't think they would be a good match at all, although they do make money.

seattle24

As someone that is a fan of the films first and foremost, I really enjoyed listening to this discussion and everyone's different takes!

I really align myself with the route Disney should take is a TV series (for Alien). I think you could adapt the events before Aliens really well into that format, as well as Alien Isolation.

Would absolutely love to see Blumhouse acquire Alien, too, as a wish list alternative.

On the subject of what was seemingly most of the guys saying they do not want Scott to return with his current prequel trajectory - the same must be said for ADI in my opinion. They should be toast in these franchises. Maybe Voodoo would back me up on this after their work on The Predator?

I really liked Odd studio's work on Covenant. Even if a lot of it remained behind the scenes. Just my two cents.

Lost_Hunter

Great podcast guys! I enjoyed the ideas but most of all, the passion was there. Totally agree with seattle24. I fear the damage ADI has done is irreversible. Their work keeps showing up on book covers and the overall look of our beloved extraterrestrials has suffered because of it.

Moving forward I would love to see these creatures animated, it's been a dream of mine for some time. An Animatrix esque anthology film would be awesome.

Can't imagine we'll be seing these creatures on screen for a while tho given the state of the world. That being said a Star Wars/ Trek like universe full of new worlds and creatures would work best. With more of a focus on horror and human brutality.

Also, a break away from first person gaming would be a great addition to both franchises.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: seattle24 on Oct 14, 2020, 01:33:19 PM
On the subject of what was seemingly most of the guys saying they do not want Scott to return with his current prequel trajectory - the same must be said for ADI in my opinion. They should be toast in these franchises. Maybe Voodoo would back me up on this after their work on The Predator?

100% BACKED!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Listening to this now and enjoying!

To add my own thoughts to the conversation, speaking strictly about the Alien series, I want to see Ridley Scott make his sequel to Alien: Covenant that concludes the prequel narrative, followed by individual films done by totally different creative teams with different tones/style/content. And me personally, I would like to see Alien and Predator stay totally separate.

Also, ADI did some really fantastic work on Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, in my opinion. They really delivered on what they were asked to make in those two. Alien vs Predator cheaped out and reused the Alien: Resurrection suits, which made absolutely no sense given that that particular design only works within the very specific context of Resurrection and was ultimately one of a great many things that didn't work in AVP.

seattle24

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Oct 14, 2020, 04:30:37 PM
Great podcast guys! I enjoyed the ideas but most of all, the passion was there. Totally agree with seattle24. I fear the damage ADI has done is irreversible. Their work keeps showing up on book covers and the overall look of our beloved extraterrestrials has suffered because of it.
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 14, 2020, 06:59:22 PM
Quote from: seattle24 on Oct 14, 2020, 01:33:19 PM

100% BACKED!

https://i.imgur.com/boyRiZp.gif?noredirect

Pair of legends!

Ed209

For Alien a sequel to Covenant makes sense to wrap up the story and bookend it back to the first movie.

Some kind of sequel to The Predator where the robot suit was used and Dutch returned could actually be fun.

I think AVP should be left alone but if something had to be made a straight adaptation of the original comic series would be best. I believe a script was written in the 90s.

Billiken

Quote from: David's Creation on Oct 14, 2020, 03:38:53 AM
WHAT I WANT:
Closure on David's story in literally any official medium.
Aside from that, I'm pretty much open to anything but a remake.

WHAT I EXPECT:
Worst case scenario:

Cheap Marvel comic cash grabs. Nothing more.
Best case scenario:
Disney's market research concludes that fans want Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and marines.
So they bring Sigourney back for a PG-13, action-focused film that probably features a surprise predator appearance, actively retconning 3 & 4 and ignoring the prequels altogether.
(I don't want this, but I'd consider it best case scenario because it would show the most financial investment in the IP.)

Agreed. I want to see where the prequels go. I don't want to see Ripley at all. Create something new.

Bug hunt wilson

Alien  series isn't pg 13 it's that simple nor is the predator series and your probably right about marvel comics

Nukiemorph

Fans want marines shooting bugs. That can easily be PG-13. I'm positive some suit in a Disney boardroom will make that point.

I'd picture Disney trying PG-13 long before I'd ever imagine Fox doing it... and Fox already did it in 2004.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed