No Cross-Play for Aliens: Fireteam Elite, But Cross-Gen Play & Free Generational Upgrades!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 29, 2021, 12:58:24 PM

Author
No Cross-Play for Aliens: Fireteam Elite, But Cross-Gen Play & Free Generational Upgrades! (Read 6,738 times)

Corporal Hicks

It’s a common question I’ve seen asked about Cold Iron Studio’s upcoming Aliens: Fireteam Elite. Will it support cross-play? Gamespot has given us a definitive answer to that question, having confirmed with Cold Iron Studios that the answer to that question is no.

When asked, Cold Iron Studios CEO Craig Zinkievich told GameSpot that “there is currently no plan for cross-play at this time.” So maybe it’s added down the line, but it’s looking like that’s not going to happen anytime soon.

It’s certainly disappointing, especially considering the co-operative nature of the game, but as Gamespot noted there’s still a possibility to see the feature added at some point. However, it has been confirmed that Aliens: Fireteam Elite will support cross-generational play where PS4 and PS5 can play together, and likewise for the Xbox.

On the topic of cross-generations, Cold Iron founder Matt Highison, confirmed that last generation copies of the game will also come with free upgrades to the next generation iterations!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest news on Aliens: Fireteam! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Kailem

Given that crossplay is becoming pretty standard for most multiplayer games these days, and especially for a co-op PvE game, that seems like a not so good decision.

Corporal Hicks

I'm hoping that if folk make enough noise, it'll become a reality. I would have hoped it was a given considering the co-op game. But I'm impressed with the free upgrade and the cross-gen play.

Kailem

Eh, that's also become a pretty basic requirement at this point. It's more surprising they're doing one and not the other.

Voodoo Magic

Hmm. If there's currently "no plan", I'm personally leaning to never seeing crossplay unless sales go through the roof. But at least you can play with bots.

Cross-gen had to be a must considering the chip / lastest gen backlog.

acrediblesource

The irony here.
PHG had crossplay and most people hate it as there is a definitive advantage using k/m.
Now a game where there might be no advantage to using PS controller or keyboard/mouse and there is no crossplay.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, ha, true. I have crossplay turned off myself in PHG and probably will never turn it on at a regular basis until the day I'm struggling to find matches I guess. Thankfully that hasn't even come close to happening yet. :)

The Necronoir

I find it very hard to believe that cross-play won't be coming further down the line, at least between Xbox and PC. As recalcitrant as we know Sony is on this matter, Microsoft seems to be pushing equally hard for blurring the lines between its two platforms.

If I had to guess, I'd say Cold Iron have considered the negative backlash games like World War Z and Predator: Hunting Grounds experienced when they mentioned plans for cross-play early on and weren't able to deliver until some time post-launch. People with an axe to grind never let those things go, even after they're rectified, so they probably figure it's better to promise little and then deliver it as a bonus further down the line.

More broadly speaking, I doubt this is going to be a big issue in terms of affecting the lifespan of this particular game. Being limited to 3 players and focusing on longer campaign-style levels, the simultaneous player based doesn't need to be very large at all to keep things going. I think most of us are likely to play it with immediate friends anyway.

acrediblesource

Well i'm just spit balling. There is no tell how much an advantage having k/m would be. It might make those on PC try harder play card modifiers where PS might still be doing the default challenges. So long as the game atttracts players on both sides then there would be nothing to complainabout.

The Necronoir

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 29, 2021, 04:00:38 PM
Well i'm just spit balling. There is no tell how much an advantage having k/m would be. It might make those on PC try harder play card modifiers where PS might still be doing the default challenges. So long as the game atttracts players on both sides then there would be nothing to complainabout.
Not going to be an issue in this game anyway, as it's entirely cooperative as far as we know. Doesn't matter if k/m or controller has any advantage when you're all on the same side.

Hemi

Not amused by this decision. The advantage is clear in games like Gears 5. With every match you can see who is on console and who is on pc. The playerbase on PC is 3 out of 10 players in 1 match, way too low to sustain itself. This is the main advantage of crossplay. Sustainability of your multiplayer gametype on multiple machines, each platform breathing life in the other. The lifespan of the game increases significantly.

Beeing a horde/survival coop game there is really no reason NOT to do it either, as there are no real advantages to the controls etc. Hell even with Gears 5 VS mode there are no advantages sometimes... you'll get your ass handed to you by some of the X-box players haha.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this drop...

Still Collating...

I wonder if it's probably a technical issue for them, don't know how easy it is to make wide platform cross-play? Still, I agree the pros outweigh the cons, we need this to ensure maximum lifespan of the game.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Necronoir on Jun 29, 2021, 03:22:36 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say Cold Iron have considered the negative backlash games like World War Z and Predator: Hunting Grounds experienced when they mentioned plans for cross-play early on and weren't able to deliver until some time post-launch. People with an axe to grind never let those things go, even after they're rectified, so they probably figure it's better to promise little and then deliver it as a bonus further down the line.

To me, I think it's apples and oranges to be honest. Crossplay support was announced by Illfonic as a feature of Predator Hunting Grounds pre-release, but it didn't fully work properly out of the gate, so much so that some players were threatening to get together and file a class action lawsuit against Illfonic months later. So crossplay was more than a mention, but announced as a function of the game.

Cold Iron on the otherhand never made such claims, so crossplay won't be a game feature expectation at launch and no one will be pissed over false features. Knowing that's the case then, I find if Cold Iron was planning to add Crossplay in the future and is currently working on it, not saying it-may-come-down-the-road but instead saying there is "no plan" is more demoralizing to your consumers... made obvious by the above posts. So, at least to me, I  personally doubt the studio would shut that hope down like this (if the door is actually being opened and stepped through.) So I suspect "no plan" actually means "no plan", unfortunately. :-\

RhinoAlien

No crossplay, hope it's pretty damn popular then. I've played games with crossplay, very popular ones, matchmaking can sometimes take a bit.

426Buddy

Quote from: RhinoAlien on Jul 01, 2021, 01:36:15 PM
No crossplay, hope it's pretty damn popular then. I've played games with crossplay, very popular ones, matchmaking can sometimes take a bit.

It's a 3 person co-op game, I doubt cross play will effect the matchmaking much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed