All Star Wars (Read 2,781,953 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Excellent video.

The (lack of) ideology of TFO.

SiL

SiL

IRT Old One

My main point was that needing ancillary details to fill in gaps isn't something new to the current trilogy. The OT works as just the three films. The Prequel Trilogy slightly less so when you get to RotS, and the new movies don't make much sense at all from just the films.

So basically, point being: it's not a new phenomena, it's just been taken up to 11.

Highland

Highland

It's funny because of all the uneeded fillers we get, it feels like the filler between the sequels and the OT is probably the most important period we missed.

Of course this is in hindsight though. Rey's a good concept, I just don't think they did her story very well.

I'd say it's me being an old fart, but then there are other old farts that like the new ones.

When you think about it, they don't offer anything new at all. Maybe that's why I like George's ideas. I guess we got new force powers.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not just you being "An old fart" although there are plenty of those annoyed a woman's the lead character anyway.

No, plenty of reasonable people have lost interest because the main trio have no development and the old trio are discarded hastily and without due consideration, while simultaneously the entire premise has no verisimilitude whatsoever.

SiL

SiL

I think the problem there is Abrams truly does not understand what good mystery is in a film. He did an entire f**king TED talk about the "mystery box", but his version amounts to "make a big point about what's in the box, but don't open the box". It's horseshit. Important details need to be explained. The elements that are left to the ether need to be basically irrelevant to the plot to be satisfying mysteries instead of frustrating half-told stories.

He just chucked a bunch of elements into TFA with no explanation, the vague promise it'd be explained later, and went on his merry way with his half-baked characters.

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

But NOT planning out a coherent, multi-layered story for a multi-BILLION dollar franchise was a FUN thing to do!

Right?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: SiL on Feb 12, 2019, 11:10:53 AM
Quote from: Highland on Feb 12, 2019, 10:24:28 AM
Streching it a bit there Sil. I mean he's just just the bad dude.
Not at all. I  walked out of the theatre feeling like I'd watched half a movie because all of the shit needed to bridge 2 and 3 happened in EU. Everyone's going on about this bad dude who does nothing terribly bad, or badass, the whole film. He's a pretty major part of the third movie, but if you haven't seen any Clone Wars stuff you don't have any idea of who he is or what he's capable of. You end up feeling like you've watched the last two acts of a story and missed a pretty major act 1.

We're meant to infer that Grievous and Dooku led the assault on the Republic capitol and the Chancellor's (ostensible) abduction, which seems like enough setup to me. He also spends most of the movie as the only visible leader of the droid army, so is the focus for ending the war that we're immersed in from the first shot of the film.

Personally when watching RotS, while we do get dropped into the middle of an ongoing situation (not unusual in a Star Wars film), I don't feel like there's any struggle to pick up the threads - and that's having never watched a full episode of Clone Wars. The intro crawl says "there are heroes on both sides", that Grievous is the droid leader, and lays out the current picture. That's all we need, surely?

Might be a bit different if he was the film's big bad. Darth Maul and Dooku probably needed their capabilities more deeply ingrained before the third acts of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. But although we do eventually find out that he's a serial Jedi killer, Grievous is generally more of a political/narrative pawn than a personal threat.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 11:34:58 AM
Yes, but we know where the CIS came from- what they're about and why they exist, how they were funded. As per AOTC, and to a lesser extent TPM. The only new element in ROTS is General Grievous himself, whom is the leader of the droid army- and to be perfectly honest, aside from the fact that he was a Kaleesh Warlord that joined Count Dooku for the challenge, augmenting himself until he was more machine than man- we don't know all that much about his backstory from TCW either.

But at the end of the day he's just a General with an interesting design that the baton was passed to at the last second when Dooku dies, he doesn't really matter all that much aside from being the last major figurehead to the CIS.
Which you can all gather from watching the film.

It's a different situation than the Sequels where I can't suspend my disbelief because you haven't told me how The First Order, is bigger and badder than the Empire was in every respect whilist... coming from the ruins of the Empire? Complete with an Emperor stand in, we know nothing about either- not that we necessarily needed to by it might've helped me believe in the scenario if the former two questions were answered through his motivations, and where he came from, got all this immense technology.

The New Republic has the exact same problem, but the opposite dynamic. It's just clear as day the writers ignored what logically should have happened, because they wanted their oppressive Empire Vs Rebels again- damn the world building, and that's killed my enthusiasm for the whole thing personally, because I'm not interested in any story surrounding the Sequel Trilogy mythos because frankly, I don't buy the premise.

Well, that and TLJ just generally being pretentious shit.

You literally can't without this. If you don't see these cinematics, you don't get that piece of information. PERIOD.

https://youtu.be/wmaad0IIUUg
https://youtu.be/oSXxeBpVFa0

You literally can't get the whole story without this EU content. The old EU just added. It wasn't required for understanding the basic story...

The Old One

The Old One

Even that POS game doesn't answer my questions, not really. It just glosses over it.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 12:30:30 PM
Even that POS game doesn't answer my questions, not really. It just glosses over it.

You aren't wrong. But it gives us more than the movies. I guess that's something?

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

I don't remember Luke being smacked by Leia in the OT? Why the heck is this animated series trying to rewrite what actually happened?  ???

Granted Jeremy says stuff that annoys even me sometimes, this is dumb to rewrite Star Wars OT history. They've turned the farm boy turned hero into a bumbling idiot who can't even use a grappling hook.

https://giphy.com/gifs/starwars-animated-cCalRqzKOBISni1XaH

https://youtu.be/VrbvWt5kerw

https://youtu.be/-1XWijxb-nw

There is a point to be made about certain points of view being interjected into entertainment to program young audiences. That I am not okay with. That's brain washing.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Wat ?

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Yes, let us butcher Luke's character even further  ::)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Are you guys serious?

The Old One

The Old One

Oh c'mon, this seems ridiculous.
These shorts are fantastic and are always exaggerated to various degrees, it's slapstick, nothing more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed