Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects (Read 28,701 times)

Oasis Nadrama

This second pair of arms is a remarkably bad alteration to the original design.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 25, 2019, 09:51:20 PM
Eh, I'm pretty sure it was to imply that that specific alien was going to molt into a queen, not that Big Chap was a queen all along.
No way to be sure though unless we see the script one day.

That's the first thought that springs to mind but Carlos Huante shared some art from the project and it was all mutated Aliens, many of which had multiple limbs. I think it might have been experimentation.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 26, 2019, 04:36:18 AM
This second pair of arms is a remarkably bad alteration to the original design.

Looks pretty damn good.  A well balanced design that is respectful of the original and doesn't disturb it too much.

SiL

How is sticking titty arms in the front not disturbing it much?

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2019, 08:48:09 AM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 25, 2019, 09:51:20 PM
Eh, I'm pretty sure it was to imply that that specific alien was going to molt into a queen, not that Big Chap was a queen all along.
No way to be sure though unless we see the script one day.

That's the first thought that springs to mind but Carlos Huante shared some art from the project and it was all mutated Aliens, many of which had multiple limbs. I think it might have been experimentation.

If the arms are do to experimentation I still don't hate it. It's not as cool as if we were to see the evolution process on screen, but it's not bad either. Way better than the super fleshy AR experiments/aliens.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SiL on Feb 26, 2019, 01:13:29 PM

You always have to analyze the overall effect.  In this case it works well.  It is balanced by the dorsal tubes.  It looks mare insectile.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2019, 02:05:15 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 26, 2019, 01:13:29 PM

You always have to analyze the overall effect.  In this case it works well.  It is balanced by the dorsal tubes.  It looks mare insectile.

It makes it more insectile, but i find it way to topheavy. There is already so much going on in the upper half of the creature, more arms makes it too much imo.

Perfect-Organism

In truth, it is probably ill-advised to ever really show the entire creature.  Otherwise it's just a man in a suit.  If you just see a small section and you see those extra hands, it is not really problematic.

The new design is no great revelation, but neither is it the disaster some people make it out to be.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed Oasis Nadrama.

SiL

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2019, 02:05:15 PM
You always have to analyze the overall effect.
I am, and in this case I'm seeing arbitrarily bolted on arms interfering with the main arms' range of motion.

Frosty Venom

The more news that comes out about this film the more sad I get about it not happening.

The Old One

The Old One

The script then?

Rankles75

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 27, 2019, 11:37:12 AM
The script then?

Absolutely no reason why they can't give us an adaptation of it eventually, though I suspect they'd wait until Ridley finishes his trilogy. If there is a script, of course. Iirc, Cameron said there was one and Ridley said there wasn't?

Xenomorphine

Personally, I like this design. The arms look like a completely natural addition, unlike the additional mouthparts on the Predalien design. If this had the Winston ridged head, it might have even been my favourite ever design, but regardless, this sculpt has to be the most authentic Giger-like sculpt potentially for big screen treatment, that we've had in decades.

I suspect it's meant to be the 'ultimate Alien' arisen by genetic modification: Agile and fast enough to be a predatory menace without being a big target, but with the additional arms implying it can potentially lay eggs. The best of both worlds. That's just my guess, though. Can imagine it can could a lot more horrifying scenes death scenes with those additional arms, too: Imagine it holding a victim in the air, before it, crucifixion-style, while doing something slow and terrible with the secondary arms, below the victim's neck. Wouldn't even need to see anything aside from the agonised facial expressions and ominous noises. That's total Lambert territory...

The tail's useful, but those hands give it something more than a massive prehensile spear to do things to victims.

Doesn't come across as top-heavy to me. Those arms look relatively light.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed