Will we get an extended cut on Blu Ray?

Started by BonesawT101, May 22, 2017, 06:38:13 PM

Author
Will we get an extended cut on Blu Ray? (Read 29,212 times)

BonesawT101

After hearing about the various different cuts shown to test audiences etc it would seem there has been quite alot left on the cutting room floor. I personally really enjoyed Covenant and I left the Cinema wanting more. I would really like to see an extended cut on home release. The final act zips by in a second. I want more of that. I read of a scene where the alien observes Ricks mangled corpse before leaping at upworth. That sounds creepy. That should be in the film. There was also mention of the other neomorph showing up in the final act. Get that reinserted too.
Another scene I read about in the other thread was while Daniels and Walter check out the terraforming bay they share a crucial character moment where danny explains how she and walter are now the only two odd ones out of the crew after jake has died. I definitely think the film could benefit even further with an extended cut. It is always a good way for the studios to get some extra cash from Blu ray and DVD sales too which could help the chances of getting a follow up. What do you guys think? Would you be interested in seeing an extended cut?

0321recon

Having seen some of the deleted stuff on YouTube such as the crossing with Shaw, perhaps The Last Supper, also Daniels, Tennessee with his girlfriend playing cards and Daniels asking mother for help,  later on Daniels asking mother were the Alien is, would be crazy if Fox didn't release an extended cut for this. Because come one The Martian that didn't need an extended cut, it got one. If they want their cash back, they'd be telling Ridley right now to go back and re-edit the film. 

Evanus

Quote from: 0321recon on May 22, 2017, 06:56:42 PM
Having seen some of the deleted stuff on YouTube such as the crossing with Shaw, perhaps The Last Supper, also Daniels, Tennessee with his girlfriend playing cards and Daniels asking mother for help,  later on Daniels asking mother were the Alien is, would be crazy if Fox didn't release an extended cut for this. Because come one The Martian that didn't need an extended cut, it got one. If they want their cash back, they'd be telling Ridley right now to go back and re-edit the film.
Those are all viral videos though. Not cut scenes. Except for The Crossing video, which was originally in the film.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Evanus on May 22, 2017, 07:47:14 PM
Those are all viral videos though. Not cut scenes. Except for The Crossing video, which was originally in the film.
It wouldn't surprise me if (the viral videos) they were genuine deleted scenes but repurposed for marketing.

AcheronHunter

There better be. Even if The Crossing and Last Supper remain separate viral vids there were so many scenes presented in trailers that are nowhere to be found. Plus there is so much material covered in the film it feels rushed and poorly edited. I think most of this was probably due to time constraints but it deprives it of much needed suspense.
I'm literally 50/50 on the film: loved it up until David's reveal then hated every minute after. Re-editting can't fix all the problems but making it flow a little better would go a long way towards making me take the last part seriously.

KiramidHead

I don't think there will be. Ridley has done a director's cut for every other film since Gladiator, and this would be breaking the pattern. Also, Exodus obviously had bits missing, and that didn't get an extended cut.

Lonely Universe

I hope we do. The deleted scenes of Prometheus (minus one) make it a much better movie. Almost fixed, even.

It seems like there's probably a lot of stuff from Covenant that got cut. Wish it was already here, but I guess that's how they get you for repeat viewings at the theater. Prob going again this weekend

AcheronHunter

I thought Exodus did have an extended cut? Maybe it's just a collector's edition with extra special features.

He seems to approach alternate cuts on a case by case basis, some films he seems more invested in than others. Like the road show cut of Kingdom of Heaven or taking 30 years finally finish Blade Runner. He claims what he cut from Prometheus, although explaining a lot of loose ends and seeming plot holes, was because it gave away too much of the mystery. I agree with him, but I am glad the scenes are available to view.
Covenant feels like it was compressed solely for the sake of running time and I don't have the feeling what was released cinematically is really the movie he wanted to make.
But again he's 80 years old and has a couple dozen projects at any given time so I'm sure he feels he is compressed for running time as well.

KiramidHead

Nah, I don't think Exodus ever got an extended cut. The Martian did, basically because Ridley just had to put back in all the felcher jokes he cut to get a PG-13. :laugh:

marrerom

I've heard that there was a scene where they show what happened to the 2nd Neomorph. That should be put back in the film as I was confused as to why we never found out what happened to it.

PsyKore

I hope there is one eventually. The film is way too fast in its current state.

Deaconschristpose

Put in the practical fx!

AcheronHunter

Yeah there is another thread on here about versions screened for test audiences that, to me, sound better than the cinematic release. Ultimately it comes down to what Ridley himself thinks is the "real" version.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

If we get it, it'll most likely be after we've all bought the theatrical cut on disc - classic double-dip. The only exception I can see is if preorders are unusually low, they might try to slap together a Director's Cut to make sure people buy it at all. But my money's on Scenario A (again, if we get one at all).

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Elmazalman on May 22, 2017, 09:55:14 PM
Quote from: Evanus on May 22, 2017, 07:47:14 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if (the viral videos) they were genuine deleted scenes but repurposed for marketing.

They weren't. They were directed separately by Luke Scott purely for the purposes of advertising. With the topic at hand, I'm always curious to see alternate cuts. At the very least, I hope we get to see the deleted scenes. I'm somewhat worried about the home releases not being great without CdL.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed