Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 03, 2020, 02:03:59 AM

Author
Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens? (Read 36,046 times)

TC

The only thing that really looks old-fashioned to me is the hair styles. Weaver, Reiser and even Biehn have that 80s big hair look. But then, fashion goes in cycles; so you could rationalise that by saying in 2179, big hair is back in style.

Apart from that, I suppose you could nit-pick the oversized helmet cams, the humungous shoulder lamp batteries, the primitive sentry gun laptop displays, but what is the point? Alien '79 has its coarse low-res computer screens, the clicking mechanical relays in its computers. That's all part of the charm (as featured in Alien Isolation).

TC

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: TC on May 05, 2021, 04:01:20 PM
The only thing that really looks old-fashioned to me is the hair styles.

Alien 3 was smart in that regard ;D

Voodoo Magic

Immortan Jonesy

I have seen current teenagers dressing as a mix between slab 80's outfits and the 90's grunge look.

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah I know what you mean, there's a resurgence of old fashion styles nowadays. Perhaps they actually don't even know they are older styles though.

Immortan Jonesy

I've even seen African American boys dressing up as the fresh prince of Bel-Air (haircut included) while talking with their Phones. It seems like time travel.  :laugh:

BigDaddyJohn

:laugh:

Brings back memories of my childhood, damn !

BlueMarsalis79

I never liked Sigourney Weaver's look in Aliens. 

Immortan Jonesy

I rate Ripley's look from best to wost in this way:

1~ Alien
2~ Resurrection
3~ AlienĀ³
4~ Aliens

Of course this is just personal taste.  :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

Totally agree.

judge death

Well this is an issue of: guessing the future will in most cases be wrong and is just a matter of time before what a movie thinks how the future will look like: will be wrong.
Its normal and theres basicly two solutions:
1: Update the technology as Ridley scott did and ignore how technology is more advanced in the past than it is in the franchise future, to please the audience who is used to more modern stuff than what was avaiable in the 80s.

2: Make it franchise related, steelpunk or whatever you want to call it, like disney did with star wars: amke it to a style and keep technology in line with what we saw in the movies and ignore real life technology is way more advanced in certain areas.

Kimarhi

It's kind of weird.  Only military shit bothers me like that in movies.

When people drive cars without looking at the road, having a full 30 minute conversation on a road they never have to turn on, it doesn't bother me.  I drive 90 miles a day for work, so you think I'd automatically zone in on those inconsistencies.  But it doesn't bother me. 

But if I see somebody firing from the hip laying waste to everything or something similar it bothers the shit out of me.

As has been said, the dos looking system in Alien doesn't bother me.  But most of the Marines tactics/gear does in Aliens.  But then most military portrayals in movies do. I think maybe its when you have a physical investment into something you see it different.  I often think about Aliens, if Aliens was actually done tactically.  But I will also give Aliens props for breaking the "every grunt is the same guy," cliche.  Aliens at least attempted to tell their marines apart bit giving them differing, if flat personalities.  Not saying they are deep and interesting, just nobody usually confuses Frost with Hicks.

Not always the case in other movies where grunt a could be also playing grunt c, and nobody knows or cares. 

BlueMarsalis79

It also bothers me but for reasons other than realism, I'm fine with things working on cinema logic, but I want the best of the best humanity can offer to go up against the Alien and either barely win or outright lose, I'm tired of seeing unprepared idiots bite it, that does not make the monster that threatening.

Local Trouble

If the marines hadn't been victims of both Gorman's inept leadership and sheer bad luck, they could have massacred the aliens.

BlueMarsalis79

Doubt it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed