PC version: Mod tools and ultra graphics?

Started by And stuff, Feb 11, 2013, 08:44:34 PM

Author
PC version: Mod tools and ultra graphics? (Read 24,069 times)

Never say no to Panda!

I don't think that many people will buy the upcoming DLC, except they redo the whole game and release it as free DLC :D
So the real loss wouldn't be that big AND they would fix at least a bit of this disaster to save their reputation.

Salt The Fries

Where is Bethesda and where is SEGA...And some people still have chutzpah to bash Bethesda...it's the only major publisher which treats PC gaming seriously.

Deathly_rYaN

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 12, 2013, 01:18:59 AM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Feb 12, 2013, 01:04:01 AM
editing shouldn't be a problem with Unreal engine at least, for all the problems it's causing it.

That depends on what has been done to the engine. If it's anything like what Gearbox did to DNF to lock the modders out, you can forget it.

There are people on this planet that can easily get rid of the lock. It's Unreal. It shouldn't be that difficult to unlock. People were able to mod skins in AvP 2010 and that uses a completely different engine(I think)

JokersWarPig

If you guys can salvage it through modding for the pc I'd consider getting it for my old PC.

The Necronoir

This guy is making some rather dubious claims regarding improving the look of the game through various methods.

So far he's also refusing to post any direct comparison shots. Anyone feel like doing that, so we can really test the validity of what he's saying?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Deathly_rYaN on Feb 14, 2013, 02:42:20 PM
There are people on this planet that can easily get rid of the lock. It's Unreal. It shouldn't be that difficult to unlock. People were able to mod skins in AvP 2010 and that uses a completely different engine(I think)

... Like I said. They actively shut down attempts by people in the Duke4 community, which is a very small tightly knit group of people with a number of coders. They were not able to do anything beyond a few texture mods, and that requires using the unpatched version of the game, and some legally shady modifications. It's not easy, and it's not something which can be done wide spread either. There won't be any AXP REALISM mods for Colonial Marines. No modding functionality of any meaningful nature.

Especially if Gearbox makes it a habit of patching the game to lock out changes modders make. There were a couple of people who were making headway with getting a duct-taped version of Unreal ED to work with DNF, along with some other modifcations. Gearbox came in, and made it so that if certain things were set, the game would crash. Literally.  They purposely sabotaged efforts.

ikarop

Quote from: The Necronoir on Feb 14, 2013, 11:36:04 PM
This guy is making some rather dubious claims regarding improving the look of the game through various methods.

So far he's also refusing to post any direct comparison shots. Anyone feel like doing that, so we can really test the validity of what he's saying?

Nothing dubious about it really. Many of those tweaks are common to all UE3 games.

pixelbaron

All he's doing is forcing his graphics card to make the game look slightly better.

Judging by the screenshots I don't see too much of a difference other than some textures being slightly less '99

The Necronoir

Quote from: pixelbaron on Feb 15, 2013, 12:24:48 AM
All he's doing is forcing his graphics card to make the game look slightly better.

Judging by the screenshots I don't see too much of a difference other than some textures being slightly less '99

Yeah, there's been a video comparison posted now, and the only difference I can see is that everything gets darker. No noticeable improvement to bloom or lighting effects.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

The higher contrast does look nicer. It makes the flashlight actually worth using now, at least.

and weirdly, the colors make the outdoors resemble the infamous 2011 demo A LOT more.

Private W Hudson

The mod was posted on steam recently to enchance the graphics and add effects that werent there etc.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/15/aliens-colonial-marines-mods-duct-tapes-directx-10-features-improved-lighting-effects/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Here are the mod links -
http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliensdx10-better-grafik-and-light
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/aliens-colonial-marines-can-look-good-sweetfx-vs-vanilla/

I tried it myself and i gotta be honest.. I was playing on High Resolution and maxed graphics and it looked amazing for the most part. I cant say the same for the Console version as modding is impossible.

Xhan

Xhan

Looks amazing?

It's 12 ini tweaks that change very little, and two of them don't do anything as they aren't even hooked into the version of the engine they shipped.

On top of that the guy sent out his own DLC strings to Joe Public.

ikarop

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 15, 2013, 12:10:35 PM
Looks amazing?

It's 12 ini tweaks that change very little, and two of them don't do anything as they aren't even hooked into the version of the engine they shipped.

On top of that the guy sent out his own DLC strings to Joe Public.

That seems to be the case unfortunately. Other than the different higher contrast there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed