Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,317 times)

SM

Nope.

The two best bets now are David Part 3 or Blomkamp.  And the former is way more likely.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

The Old One, the question is aimed at you.  I respect your passion for established continuity, but if you were a producer would you honestly put your money on continuing after A3 or AR?

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 12:26:32 AM
Nope.

The two best bets now are David Part 3 or Blomkamp.  And the former is way more likely.

I definitely think David's story merits a conclusion next.  But after that?  If the actors are still around?  Go with Blomkamp's film

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 01, 2018, 12:14:44 AM

It's your money.  What are you going to do?

Leave Sigourney Weaver and Neill Blomkamp in the dust.

Post Resurrection (All but Retconning AR) sequel Directed by an Auteur that has a vision for sexually charged horror film,
You could even set The Cold Forge after AR/A3, for instance.

Denis Villeneuve, Christopher Nolan, Tim Burton, Peter Jackson or Alex Garland.
Hell even David Fincher.

(Annihilation, Under The Skin etc)

Go nuts, do your own thing.
You can even act like AR, doesn't exist- it doesn't matter.

I don't have a passion for established continuity- not really- I'd clearly throw AR out in a heartbeat.
You don't necessarily need to retcon it, but ignoring it or contradicting it wouldn't harm anything.

I have a passion for Alien³ because it's bold, it's not a retread which is all franchises have become in recent years.
Mediocre retreads.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 01, 2018, 12:29:50 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 01, 2018, 12:14:44 AM

It's your money.  What are you going to do?

Leave Sigourney Weaver and Neill Blomkamp in the dust.

Post Resurrection (All but Retconning AR) sequel Directed by an Auteur that has a vision for sexually charged horror film,
You could even set The Cold Forge after AR/A3, for instance.

Denis Villeneuve, Christopher Nolan, Tim Burton, Peter Jackson.

Go nuts, do your own thing.
You can even act like AR, doesn't exist- it doesn't matter.

To be fair, Cold Forge could work post-A:R.

Anyway, I respect your opinion.  Your investment would show hutzpah.

The Old One

The Old One

That's what Alien as a Franchise is all about for good or ill- IMO.

Perfect Organism Podcast had a good discussion about it.

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 01, 2018, 12:27:22 AM
The Old One, the question is aimed at you.  I respect your passion for established continuity, but if you were a producer would you honestly put your money on continuing after A3 or AR?

Nope.

I definitely think David's story merits a conclusion next.  But after that?  If the actors are still around?  Go with Blomkamp's film

Depends on the success of David 3.

Huggs

Let Scott finish what he had to say. Give him what he needs but keep an eye on the script, and make sure questions are answered decently and everything is wrapped up this time. But don't link it up to Alien, link it to Blade Runner.

Then get Villeneuve or Fincher to do a film post Alien 3.  Fincher would be preferable but it would take a miracle to get him back.

Weaver, Blomkamp and Alien resurrection can sit this one out.

Like old one said, sexually charged horror. Go back to the roots, and don't skimp on the Giger. Take us straight to hell.

SM

Giger is still dead tho.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 01:22:40 AM
Giger is still dead tho.

Giger didn't die. He exists as something else. A dark force somewhere out in the cosmos, waiting for us to make a mistake. Regardless, his style lives on.

It can be done. It should be done. It must be done.

SM

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 01:38:42 AM
Get someone new.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I'm trying to make.

Villeneuve and someone that can really feel Giger and incorporate it well.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 01:03:20 AM

Nope.

True, but even if Scott gets to do 2 more films, eventually they will end up arriving at the "back door of Alien" as he said.  Unless he goes off on a completely different tangent, which he is often wont to do.  Be that as it may, we are still likely looking at facing a situation where all the prequel gaps are finished, and we now get to continue the story with all the core Alien films behind us.  So we will yet again be faced with the same conundrum.  To continue after Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, or after Aliens.  Though it would be possible that some of the actors just may be too frail to play the roles by then.  I guess the question is, will Ridley convince the powers to give him the money to do all his planned remaining films, or does he get one last shot wrap up everything he had hoped in one film.  I'm betting on the latter.  After that?  Well, as you say SM, if his film is stellar, than who knows what will happen, but my money would be on Blomkamp.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 01, 2018, 01:05:22 AM
Let Scott finish what he had to say. Give him what he needs but keep an eye on the script, and make sure questions are answered decently and everything is wrapped up this time. But don't link it up to Alien, link it to Blade Runner.

Then get Villeneuve or Fincher to do a film post Alien 3.  Fincher would be preferable but it would take a miracle to get him back.

Weaver, Blomkamp and Alien resurrection can sit this one out.

Like old one said, sexually charged horror. Go back to the roots, and don't skimp on the Giger. Take us straight to hell.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 01, 2018, 01:43:27 AM
Get someone new.

;D

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 01, 2018, 01:44:52 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2018, 01:03:20 AM

Nope.

True, but even if Scott gets to do 2 more films, eventually they will end up arriving at the "back door of Alien" as he said.  Unless he goes off on a completely different tangent, which he is often wont to do.  Be that as it may, we are still likely looking at facing a situation where all the prequel gaps are finished, and we now get to continue the story with all the core Alien films behind us.  So we will yet again be faced with the same conundrum.  To continue after Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, or after Aliens.  Though it would be possible that some of the actors just may be too frail to play the roles by then.  I guess the question is, will Ridley convince the powers to give him the money to do all his planned remaining films, or does he get one last shot wrap up everything he had hoped in one film.  I'm betting on the latter.  After that?  Well, as you say SM, if his film is stellar, than who knows what will happen, but my money would be on Blomkamp.

I think Ridley could wrap up what he wants to wrap up in a Covenant sequel - but if that is really popular, they'll look for ways to spin off it, rather than looking at ways to continue after other films.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 01, 2018, 01:43:27 AM
Get someone new.

The point I'm trying to make is - get someone new.  Not someone aping Giger.

The Old One

The Old One

The Final Prequel would need to be a masterpiece
that simultaneously restores the mystery of the SJ and Alien then for that to happen. IMO.

PIOTR JABŁOŃSKI  The Alien elements- Perhaps?

Josan Gonzalez  Environmental elements.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed