Female predators being larger thoughts?

Started by (Bad Blood), Feb 13, 2021, 05:03:31 AM

Author
Female predators being larger thoughts? (Read 12,026 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 27, 2021, 03:41:39 AM
Why would an alien species from an. Entirely. Different. Planet. A species, that doesn't seem physically equipped to suckle from a mother anyway, look so much like us in this one arbitrary regard?

Imagine this mouth as an infant:

I can easily visualize a Newborn Predator Baby and what it could do and clamp on to, with a soft tissue pre-adult mouth like this with no tusks, teeth or fangs.

QuotePredators don't even have nipples so what function would females with cleavage serve other than titillating frequenters of deviantart?

If they're males they don't need to. Like male horses for instance. Nipples on the females, no nipples on the male.

QuoteStuff like this just humanises them and honestly comes off as fan-fiction-y to me.

To me, with their hunting code and behavior, let alone their humanoid body, already humanized them a long time ago.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Naginata on Feb 27, 2021, 03:12:30 PM
I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but: they don't have lips, cheeks, tongues, or nipples. They DO have thick, scaly prickly skin, a mouth full of gnashing mandibles, and next to zero body fat. It's just SO insanely stupid to me that they went to 'green space babe' route with them, especially given it directly contradicts previous portrayals.

Immortan Jonesy

They remind me of the Kroot (Warhammer 40k) although not so primitive.

The humanoid form must be convergent evolution (like birds and bats, both winged). Nevertheless, they don't look like mammals at all. So yes, it is an unimaginative direction and maybe even sexist. Ok, I must confess that I do not mind the curves in female aliens, rather the opposite.  :laugh:

But predators are f**king monsters! And sexualizing them is also creepy. It doesn't bother me when it comes to let's say...space opera, like in Star Wars.

judge death

Well they said in the movie in 2018 they are 99% human dna and they look like humans and after prometheus we know they are created by the engineers so they are just bigger humans, hence their females like human females: are smaller or same sized, not bigger in average.

Voodoo Magic

I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but: they don't have lips, cheeks, tongues, or nipples.

They do have forked tongues.

And like some mammals, male Predators don't need nipples.

And Predators have cheeks!

;D

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: judge death on Feb 27, 2021, 04:36:01 PM
Well they said in the movie in 2018 they are 99% human dna and they look like humans and after prometheus we know they are created by the engineers so they are just bigger humans, hence their females like human females: are smaller or same sized, not bigger in average.

Wut?

Fugitive had the Human DNA, nobody else was accounted for and the Humans tried to rationalize why they did what they did when confronted with how weird that is for Fugitive and why the Assassin is what it was. Nobody outside those two had any DNA augments. And they for sure start as Predators even if that wasn't Fugitive on the slab. So Fugitive and Assassin had been a mutant but nobody else is said to be and nobody else since is. The Predator was just a one off event.

judge death

fugitive was a normal predator and that is what predator movie says, you have any material showing its otherwise?

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 27, 2021, 04:40:52 PM
I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but: they don't have lips, cheeks, tongues, or nipples.

And Predators have cheeks!

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: judge death on Feb 28, 2021, 05:46:28 PM
fugitive was a normal predator and that is what predator movie says, you have any material showing its otherwise?
But he wasn't, they said he had human DNA, and we see a flashback via the helmet of him getting forcefully mutated by some pred scientists

Quote from: Naginata on Feb 27, 2021, 11:24:09 AM
^ They wouldn't be synapsids, though, because they're not from Earth.
Yet their DNA is compatible with ours for hybridization and they have many traits similar to Earth species

Eighty-Five

That's a gross oversimplification. They're not really hybridising in the traditional sense, which requires actual compatible chromosomes and sexual reroduction. Only very closely-related species can do this, like Horses and Zebras. Creatures from an entirely different evolutionary tree right down to the microbial level wouldn't have a hope, even if it looked similar.

Convergent evolution is a real thing that can result in totally unrelated creatures evolving the same traits because they're useful for survival. For example echidnas and hedgehogs look very similar at a glance, but they're from completely different families of mammals and evolved in totally separate parts of the world. For a more extreme example, wings have evolved in insects, mammals, birds and reptiles at different times throughout Earth's history. It's not at all impossible that a Predator would evolve traits similar to Earth organisms because they're useful in their environment or were at some point in their evolutionary past.

The Preds in The Predator are gene-editing themselves with characteristics taken from other creatures' genomes. It's not the same thing as hybridising and their superficial similarities to Earth organisms don't really mean squat.

Also, the film you're both drawing this argument from will probably be considered non-canon by everything that comes after it.

BlueMarsalis79

More real good stuff.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Mar 01, 2021, 03:05:01 AM
That's a gross oversimplification. They're not really hybridising in the traditional sense, which requires actual compatible chromosomes and sexual reroduction. Only very closely-related species can do this, like Horses and Zebras. Creatures from an entirely different evolutionary tree right down to the microbial level wouldn't have a hope, even if it looked similar.

Convergent evolution is a real thing that can result in totally unrelated creatures evolving the same traits because they're useful for survival. For example echidnas and hedgehogs look very similar at a glance, but they're from completely different families of mammals and evolved in totally separate parts of the world. For a more extreme example, wings have evolved in insects, mammals, birds and reptiles at different times throughout Earth's history. It's not at all impossible that a Predator would evolve traits similar to Earth organisms because they're useful in their environment or were at some point in their evolutionary past.

The Preds in The Predator are gene-editing themselves with characteristics taken from other creatures' genomes. It's not the same thing as hybridising and their superficial similarities to Earth organisms don't really mean squat.

Also, the film you're both drawing this argument from will probably be considered non-canon by everything that comes after it.

It was used as the basis for Hunting Grounds so while nobody is going to be going back to it it will have about as much impact as Alien Resurrection if that makes sense. It's going to sit on the timeline but nobody really has to address it.

And frankly if the Alien prequels can be complete dog ass and still sit in the Alien timeline then Predator can have a black sheep. What's the alternative if it doesn't really change anything?

Mr.Turok

I don't mind the mammalian traits on female Predators as long as its not overtly sexualized as people tend to do when it comes to making the females of any fictional race. The ones in PHG is fine example of how its not overboard and it looks fine.

I tend to smirk when people try to veil their words as best they can when they object to females being taller and stronger than the males without trying to sound like they dislike it. What's the matter buddy, tall women makes you blush?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

All they really need to do is wear lipstick and have long eyelashes.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Tbh my reaction to Predators with tits is about the same as this showing up in Gremlins 2:

Except Gremlins 2 is supposed to be funny so that worked.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed