Female predators being larger thoughts?

Started by (Bad Blood), Feb 13, 2021, 05:03:31 AM

Author
Female predators being larger thoughts? (Read 12,056 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Feb 13, 2021, 11:48:50 PM
I definitely like what Hunting Grounds did and in practice you don't know if it's male or female until you actually get a good look at it. As well as in-universe it seems female hunters just aren't encountered as often as the male, so at a glance someone wouldn't know which gender it is up until they actually got a good look at it.

My opinion on size? I see no reason why they couldn't be taller. Predators have a variety of heights and body types so while they seem pretty consistent I wouldn't mind them being a bit bigger than the males.
I do too. I think some of them being bigger is fine, like with humans having some women being taller or larger than men but having it be a set in stone they will always be bigger thing would be uninteresting.

judge death

Well since predators are pretty much humans and engineers their females should be like for us: same size or slightly smaller in average. but it will vary from predator to rpedator. As we dont know the gender of the ones in the movie we could have seen female ones already without knowing. Might explain the different look of the predator in predator 2 which was much more brown and red in color than the first in arnolds predator movie.

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: judge death on Feb 14, 2021, 06:10:18 AM
Well since predators are pretty much humans and engineers their females should be like for us: same size or slightly smaller in average. but it will vary from predator to rpedator. As we dont know the gender of the ones in the movie we could have seen female ones already without knowing. Might explain the different look of the predator in predator 2 which was much more brown and red in color than the first in arnolds predator movie.
I agree and very good points.

PAS Spinelli

Seeing how PHG and it's prequel book are canon, females are now officially smaller and more slender than males
Spoiler
And they also have tits
[close]

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Feb 21, 2021, 03:36:38 AM
Seeing how PHG and it's prequel book are canon, females are now officially smaller and more slender than males
Spoiler
And they also have tits
[close]
Works for me!

Naginata

It's SO disappointing that they wimped out with the female Predator design, but it's not really a surprise.

Eighty-Five

I find it kinda lame that they have decided to further humanise them by giving us very obvious human-like females. Smacks of a very Hollywood 'the audience are dumb, slap some tits on it so people know it's female' atiitude to me.

Also: Functionally-speaking why would they have breasts? Even on humans they're a useless feature most of our lifespans. We're pretty much the only mammal species whose females develop breasts before they're pregnant, which studies indicate is probably the result of a freak mutation somewhere in our evolutionary history. Even our closest living relatives, the chimpanzees don't share this characteristic of ours.

Why would an alien species from an. Entirely. Different. Planet. A species, that doesn't seem physically equipped to suckle from a mother anyway, look so much like us in this one arbitrary regard? Predators don't even have nipples so what function would females with cleavage serve other than titillating frequenters of deviantart?

I always liked Alien and Predator because even though they were sci-fi, they felt grounded. The creature designs were convincingly alien. They were just spectacular enough to be interesting without being fantastical. Stuff like this just humanises them and honestly comes off as fan-fiction-y to me. They're aliens that have glowing green blood and sense prey by thermal signature. They weren't supposed to be like us and I don't think making them more like us adds anything interesting to the mythos.

I don't necessarily love some of the older EU stuff that introduced female Predators but I definitely applaud them for not just making them Predators with tits and thinner waists.

PAS Spinelli

The preds could be a non-mammalian synapsid, thus explaining why they have breasts, if they still use em for anything is unknown

Naginata

^ They wouldn't be synapsids, though, because they're not from Earth.

Eighty-Five

Yeah. Alien life wouldn't conform to any of our Earthly classifications and could quite possibly not even have DNA the way we recognise it. They'd have evolved under totally separate circumstances to life on Earth, sharing not even microbial ancestors with anything we know. The glowing green blood already makes it clear they have some unusual internal chemistry.

Eighty-Five

Heh. Fairly accurate to my feelings. I did harp on a bit about the dumb biology but by far the more important thing for me is the crude method of introducing gender into an alien species. For no real reason.

SiL

The biology aspect is a legitimate complaint, and one I strongly agree with.

But the core of the argument is bolting tits onto something is a cheap, tacky way of identifying something as female.

Eighty-Five

Yeah, it just feels very patronising and crude.

If they had a good reason to do a story featuring explicitly female preds, cool. Just don't get why they need to have bodies like human bikini models. It reeks of sweaty nerd fantasy from the 80s and it kinda makes me sad that women=boobs in the designers' minds.

Naginata

I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but: they don't have lips, cheeks, tongues, or nipples. They DO have thick, scaly prickly skin, a mouth full of gnashing mandibles, and next to zero body fat. It's just SO insanely stupid to me that they went to 'green space babe' route with them, especially given it directly contradicts previous portrayals.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed