First On Location Pictures of Alien: Covenant!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 31, 2016, 01:37:30 PM

Author
First On Location Pictures of Alien: Covenant! (Read 105,290 times)

Primordial

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 04, 2016, 02:38:06 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 03, 2016, 09:52:49 PM
We need a Gigeresque landscape.  Period.  It's the payoff many of us have been waiting for since 1979.
Heaven on top; gigerscape down below. It's the best of both worlds. If the planet was alive would be even more awesome. See what that black goo can do.

Agreed guys. It is supposed to be a dark, dangerous world.

There has to be a good reason to why the Engineers built an underground world despite having a Paradise on the surface (so the living planet is a nice idea) and to why David is the sole inhabitant of the planet. Did they all die there, did they move to another planet (supposedly a bit of both) ?.. So many questions that need to be answered  ;D

Stolen

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 03, 2016, 09:52:49 PM
We need a Gigeresque landscape.  Period.  It's the payoff many of us have been waiting for since 1979.

What is a Gigeresque landscape exactly? (Guys have u concept art or pics ?)Yes, I love to see the influence of Giger's work in Covenant, hopefully in caves.
But is really possible to make a planet Gigeresque ?? I doubt, don't forget that his work has a sexual/morbid connotation (too hard for public) and it's not easy to imagine and reinvent piece like that. That may be why nobody since 1979 has wanted to call him, too sinister for a studio film.
But his minimal participation in Prometheus was excellent, the cave was unbelievable and "never seen" ! That's why I'm optimistic, Ridley wants to show unusual things, and Paradise will be surprising. Beautiful in appearance and probably horrible in the dark.

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 04, 2016, 02:57:38 AM
I'm worried this film will be too big and epic in scope, and not in the right direction. One of Prometheus' flaws was that it felt too big and amazing for what it really is: a monster movie. And this made it feel very detached from the darker, claustrophobic direction the original Alien movie had.

And then on top of it there's all the talk of "gods" - the thing which is really on the nose. It's an Alien movie, for pete's sake. The creature itself comes from an artist that uses sexual and sometimes satanic imagery. How it became something linked with human history and "gods" is beyond me. Yes, I do want to see the Engineers, but can they do it without being overly grand and silly about the whole thing? I wish they'd just keep it dark, sinister and claustrophobic.

But Prometheus is not Alien, isn't just a monster movie. It's pure science fiction film that just tries to move away from the original and offer unusual things. This is not a flaw, ambition is different.
However Covenant will be an Alien film, so I expect that we find the stifling atmosphere of the first. As I think from the beginning, the caves will surprise us visually.

If Ridley Scott works 16 weeks in a studio, it is precisely to create something that is not found on Earth.
Have you watched Legend of him? He creates an incredible forest and even an artificial sun in a studio. Ridley can create absolutely everything in the studio. Be patient, we have no idea of what really happens!

Darkness

Quote from: NickisSmart on Apr 03, 2016, 08:26:53 PM
Quote from: Darkness on Apr 03, 2016, 10:55:52 AM
These latest pictures you're posting really look phenomenal. With the mountains, it could definitely pass for something other worldly. It makes a big change from the baron planet of LV-223.
It doesn't look otherworldly, to me. It looks like Earth. Why? Because there's plant-life. You want to know what looks not of this Earth? Barren planets.  :D

Well, the term Paradise indicates it will be a lush planet full of life. It wouldn't be so much of a paradise if it was completely void of any life. It doesn't have to be xenomorphs stalking people in a jungle - I agree, that wouldn't look right and that's more for Predator. That was a big problem with Predators, the jungle just looked something out of Earth. Instead they should have been aiming for something like Avatar style scenery.

Primordial

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 04, 2016, 06:50:04 AM
What is a Gigeresque landscape exactly? (Guys have u concept art or pics ?)Yes, I love to see the influence of Giger's work in Covenant, hopefully in caves.
But is really possible to make a planet Gigeresque ?? I doubt, don't forget that his work has a sexual/morbid connotation (too hard for public) and it's not easy to imagine and reinvent piece like that.

It is definitely not easy to reinvent Gigeresque landscape but all of his work is not necessarily related to sexual/morbid connotions. Personnaly, I'm not fond of his too explicit sexual drawings (look at my avatar, I cut out the d**k which was on the tail). You can google for example 'Biomechanical Landscape I,II,IIa'
I think it is at an acceptable level and it probably shouldn't offend so many people.

Glaive

Love the tidal potential...Beautiful setting...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Immortan Jonesy

HuDaFuK

It's almost certainly not the entire ship, just a small portion of it.

Corporal Hicks

It'll just be like they had with Prometheus and the vehicle dock.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 04, 2016, 06:58:56 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Apr 03, 2016, 08:26:53 PM
Quote from: Darkness on Apr 03, 2016, 10:55:52 AM
These latest pictures you're posting really look phenomenal. With the mountains, it could definitely pass for something other worldly. It makes a big change from the baron planet of LV-223.
It doesn't look otherworldly, to me. It looks like Earth. Why? Because there's plant-life. You want to know what looks not of this Earth? Barren planets.  :D

Well, the term Paradise indicates it will be a lush planet full of life. It wouldn't be so much of a paradise if it was completely void of any life. It doesn't have to be xenomorphs stalking people in a jungle - I agree, that wouldn't look right and that's more for Predator. That was a big problem with Predators, the jungle just looked something out of Earth. Instead they should have been aiming for something like Avatar style scenery.

Well, from whose point of view? I'm sure a xenomorph's idea of Paradise is inside a host.

Semantics aside, I do agree that it being void of life would seem odd. But what if that's the point? I think if they went the AtMoM approach and had a place that was originally pastoral, until things went to pot, that'd be a cool way to go about it. Ruins in the jungle haunted by a sinister presence... or the city of the Old Ones haunted by evil Shoggoths. Good stuff. I mean, Antarctica was originally warmer and had plant life, didn't it? A similar approach with Covenant would be fun. Except, more the ruins-in-the-jungle approach. I'm down with that. Plus, certain Central American gods, like Quetzalcoatl, were steeped in the lore of life, death, and human sacrifice. It kind of fits with the alien lore, from a certain point of view. It certainly reminds me of Prometheus' approach to humans and myth, and I actually kind of liked that.

Corporal Hicks

Oh, that is a good shout! I would love to see some Jockey ruins overgrown by jungle too.

I think I just want to see a meld of all the lively green and the machinery life of Giger's biomechanical.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ooh... that's a nice close-up Corporal!

This at least makes it clear that the ship is not canted off to the side. The deck is clearly horizontal, so it's not sinking into the water.

Could most likely be a shuttle, the engines would be too small for a colony ship (unless they are supposed to be maneuvering thrusters) and it's sitting too low to the ground for it to be a large ship.

Can see some CO2 tanks as well so there will probably be lots of practical smoke & steam effects.

LordCassusSnow

I wonder who keeps taking photos of this particular set piece and why it's the only photo were getting?

Stolen

Stolen

Some actors joined the film crew in New Zealand!
Ben Rigby and Demian Bichir have posted pictures of Fiordland landscapes on Insta.
Alistair Johns (@Aligogs) (costume department) is also present.

Other pics (Nothing really news)
http://fandimefilmu.cz/clanek/7776-alien_covenant_fotky_z_nataceni_exkluzivne_pouze_pro_vas

Corporal Hicks

Hopefully we'll start to see some snaps taken whilst actual filming is commencing. I find it surprising they chose such an easily accessible location. T

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed