Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM

Author
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel) (Read 39,283 times)

Perfect-Organism

I think the wepons looked the way they did just due to the artist's interpretation.  Nelson in that era was fairly loose in drawing industrial design objects.  He's a great artist, but he didn't seem to have that product design sensibility.  That was a bit of a shame too because it did take away a bit from the book.  The same could be said about his drawing of vehicles and miscellaneous gadgets.  They just look like they don't have much product design thought put into them.  I mean take a look at the dropship they're using.  It has the strangest arrangement of tail control surfaces that are not symmetrical.  All of this was rectified by Aliens Book 2 when Den Beauvais took over.  He had a bulletproof design sensibility.  He is a natural simply.  And then everything went to shit completely in Alies Earth War with a brilliant artist who was completely character driven with no product sensibility whatsoever.

But I will say this, Mark A. Nelson's spaceship design "The Benedict" was probable one of the best if not the best ship design since the Sulaco.  I mean imagine that thing done in full CGI.  Awesome!

Corporal Hicks

Book 2/Nightmare Asylum was infinitely better in terms of the visuals matching Aliens. I always have that bugbear when nothing looks like it belongs but Beauvis knocked it out the park. Everything looked spot on and 100% like it belonged in that world.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2015, 09:16:34 AM
Book 2/Nightmare Asylum was infinitely better in terms of the visuals matching Aliens. I always have that bugbear when nothing looks like it belongs but Beauvis knocked it out the park. Everything looked spot on and 100% like it belonged in that world.

Absolutely. Although I still like how book one looked. Earth war on the other hand was almost insulting lol

Corporal Hicks

Sam Keith should just not be allowed near Aliens.

That said...I did think he suited the novella once you got to the twist.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2015, 10:52:05 AM
Sam Keith should just not be allowed near Aliens.

That said...I did think he suited the novella once you got to the twist.

Can you elaborate? I have never read the novella.

Corporal Hicks

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/17-666/Aliens-Inhuman-Condition-HC

There's a twist in the story later on that makes Sam Keith's style just perfect. But in hindsight. I did a review about it but the spoil is mentioned in there. I do warn you so you can skip ahead though: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/aliens-inhuman-condition/

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2015, 11:57:49 AM
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/17-666/Aliens-Inhuman-Condition-HC

There's a twist in the story later on that makes Sam Keith's style just perfect. But in hindsight. I did a review about it but the spoil is mentioned in there. I do warn you so you can skip ahead though: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/aliens-inhuman-condition/

Thanks dude. I had actually read that. I'm not fond of it. Still can't stand his art.

I need to check out Aliens: Lucky. Never realise it was Mark A Nelson that did the art on that one.

Do you think Earth war would have been made much better with either of the artists from book one or two doing the art ?

Corporal Hicks

It certainly would have helped. To be fair, my memories of that book are generally clouded by how much I hated Keith's artwork. I can't really recall the story in that great detail.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2015, 12:23:58 PM
It certainly would have helped. To be fair, my memories of that book are generally clouded by how much I hated Keith's artwork. I can't really recall the story in that great detail.

Same here. For me art is so important when reading comics. I wouldn't mind giving it a re read but don't know if I can put my eyes through the pain lol

It's a shame that it's so bad. If it was at the same standard as book one and two, I think we would be getting all three books In one hardcover next April instead of just the first.

Corporal Hicks

It's a shame they aren't doing Nightmare Asylum/Book 2 as well. That would be amazing.

HuDaFuK

I read the Female War novel long ago and by the end the story's just degenerated into a mess that's lost all track of it's own sense of realism, with Ripley and Billie/Newt somehow surviving in the midst of a swarm of millions of Aliens and blasting them away with impunity.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
It's a shame they aren't doing Nightmare Asylum/Book 2 as well. That would be amazing.

I would love it if that happened. I'm very happy with what we are getting though.

I do have a hardcover of book two that's signed by artist and writer. It's hard to read though as it standard size and not sewn. It's like a mouse trap lol

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 20, 2015, 12:37:15 PM
I read the Female War novel long ago and by the end the story's just degenerated into a mess that's lost all track of it's own sense of realism, with Ripley and Billie/Newt somehow surviving in the midst of a swarm of millions of Aliens and blasting them away with impunity.

Lol I can't remember how it goes. Read it so long ago. Just remember thinking is was better than the comic.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 20, 2015, 12:37:57 PM
I do have a hardcover of book two that's signed by artist and writer. It's hard to read though as it standard size and not sewn. It's like a mouse trap lol

Nice! That must be worth a bob or two!

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2015, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 20, 2015, 12:37:57 PM

Nice! That must be worth a bob or two!

They are it cheap but not overly expensive. I paid around £60 for it. I loved it that much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed