Alien: In Space, Nobody Can Hear You Go Woke

Started by SiL, Jul 04, 2021, 07:33:14 AM

Author
Alien: In Space, Nobody Can Hear You Go Woke (Read 15,590 times)

SiL

I never said otherwise.

But it does mean that in reflecting the times they're made in, they inevitably contain themes and subtexts regardless of whether they were consciously intended or not.

RidgeTop

Don't you know Predator is a commentary on homosexual promiscuity in the AIDS epidemic?

https://classic-horror.com/newsreel/homosexuality_and_the_threat_of_aids_in_predator.html

SiL

So is Alien 3!

Kradan

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jul 30, 2021, 09:28:42 AM
Don't you know Predator is a commentary on homosexual promiscuity in the AIDS epidemic?

https://classic-horror.com/newsreel/homosexuality_and_the_threat_of_aids_in_predator.html

Don't tell me they bring up KPH death there

SiL

Literally the last sentence of the piece.

Huggs

One can see anything in anything, if they want to see it bad enough.

Kradan

wow

Spoiler
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 30, 2021, 12:22:07 PM
One can see anything in anything, if they want to see it bad enough.

Indeed.

nanison

It all doesn't matter if the story is engaging. People shouldn't be worried about things like that, if the writing is good you will forget the wokeness in no time.

Nightmare Asylum

If the story is engaging, then more likely than not that means that you're connecting with the ideas that it is conveying. The "wokness," if that's what you want to call it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Yeah, complaining about "wokeness" when it comes to the Alien movies is kind of silly. There's a heavy "woke" streak in each and every Alien movie, although much less so when it comes to PROM and A:C. If anything Hawley is kind of going back to the roots, so to speak. The difference is that we live in social media era where people share their thoughts and opinions 24/7, directly pointing out one's thoughts and intentions beforehand rather than sharing it later on when being interviewed about the show.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Dachande on Aug 18, 2021, 04:54:09 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 18, 2021, 04:47:11 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure which side of the argument makes me want to puke more: people who are racist/sexist/homophobic or people who think of themselves as clever accusing others of racism/sexism/homophobia

I mean.... it should absolutely be the racist/sexist/homophobic people. It's shouldnt really even be a debate.

RIGHT? They practically proved my point.

JFC that comment they just reminds me of how the Polish nationallists presented the Nazi flag, USSR flag, and LGBTQ flag as being equally evil... Yes God forbid LGBTQ people not be discriminated and have equality.

Dachande

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Aug 18, 2021, 05:04:04 PM
Quote from: Dachande on Aug 18, 2021, 04:54:09 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 18, 2021, 04:47:11 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure which side of the argument makes me want to puke more: people who are racist/sexist/homophobic or people who think of themselves as clever accusing others of racism/sexism/homophobia

I mean.... it should absolutely be the racist/sexist/homophobic people. It's shouldnt really even be a debate.

RIGHT? They practically proved my point.

JFC that comment they just reminds me of how the Polish nationallists presented the Nazi flag, USSR flag, and LGBTQ flag as being equally evil... Yes God forbid LGBTQ people not be discriminated and have equality.

Let's chill out a bit. I'm fairly certain he's referring to the type of people that will scream at any injustice they can.

Kradan

Chris!(($$))!

You're right. I did go a bit too far. Sorry for that.

As far as I'm concerned, these progressive themes have always been prevalent and should continue to be. I think when they when they are TOO nuanced and subtle so as to not distract from the narrative, it tends to just fit the status quo. Its okay for the themes to be overt as well. Like in District 9 which apparently was subtle to some? Im not sure how.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed