"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series"

Started by DavidIsDaddy, Mar 06, 2023, 06:28:33 AM

Author
"[Alien Romulus] joins the prequel series" (Read 21,011 times)

skhellter

fully expecting all the aliens to merge and form a kaiju by the end, whenever that script leaks.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 09, 2023, 01:47:06 AMOh, you have no idea. It would have thrown so much established lore out the window. It honestly would have upset so many fans. Wild that it made it as far as it went with the script and finally got shut down.

Ultimately it got cancelled because Fox would rather spend money with Ridley's established name attached instead of Blomkamp. It's all business.

Sounds like Ridley played it pretty conservative by making David the creator of the Alien then?  ;D

Yeah, Prometheus did pretty well at the box office (and reasonably okay critically), while Chappie, not so much. Was probably a no-brainer for Fox.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 09, 2023, 01:47:06 AMUltimately it got cancelled because Fox would rather spend money with Ridley's established name attached instead of Blomkamp. It's all business.
Maybe, but Ridley asked Fox to cancel it by his own words and Blomkamp implied that as well, so it's not like Fox chose to do it without Ridley's influence. Ridley hates all Alien sequels and crossovers including James Cameron's film, so obviously he didn't want to do Aliens sequel from the get-go despite attaching himself as producer at the time.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 09:15:11 AMRidley hates all Alien sequels and crossovers including James Cameron's film, so obviously he didn't want to do Aliens sequel from the get-go despite attaching himself as producer at the time.

Quotes/sources?

skhellter

He's pretty dismissive of the other movies in interviews. "One of them was in a prison?" Riddlez, that movie is better than 2 of your 3 films.

Kradan

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 09:33:34 AM
Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 09:15:11 AMRidley hates all Alien sequels and crossovers including James Cameron's film, so obviously he didn't want to do Aliens sequel from the get-go despite attaching himself as producer at the time.

Quotes/sources?

What a hateful prick !

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: skhellter on Mar 09, 2023, 09:47:04 AMHe's pretty dismissive of the other movies in interviews. "One of them was in a prison?" Riddlez, that movie is better than 2 of your 3 films.

Where's that quote from, can't remember that?

Weird, because Ridley visited the Alien 3 set and one of his sons worked on it.

skhellter

Its in a interview for covenant. Ill try to find it when i get back from work.

SiL

He doesn't hate them. He might not care about them, but he doesn't hate them.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 09:33:34 AM

Quotes/sources?
I'll check later today, but there's Alien: Covenant interview somewhere on Youtube where the guy asked Ridley if he liked Alien sequels or he thinks they were bullshit, and Ridley's reply was something like "I prefer to not watch movies that I think are bullshit". And around the same time he complained that he should've never let the franchise go after first Alien. You can add to that his public disdain to AvP specificially.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Empire Magazine interviewed Scott in 2021 and asked for his opinion on the other Alien films:

Quote"Alien, I'll say was, by far the best. What followed was Jim's. That was okay. The other two were kind of adequate" - Ridley Scott

At worst he regards Alien 3 and Resurrection as "meh". Don't see any hatred there.

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 11:20:08 AMI'll check later today, but there's Alien: Covenant interview somewhere on Youtube where the guy asked Ridley if he liked Alien sequels or he thinks they were bullshit, and Ridley's reply was something like "I prefer not watch movies that I think are bullshit". And around the same time he complained that he should've never let the franchise go after first Alien. You can add to that his public disdain to AvP specificially.

Absolutely no memory of that interview. I know Ridley Scott scholar, Ian Nathan shared some hearsay from the Covenant set, that one should never mention the Queen in Ridley's presence.

Though I suspect that might simply have been Scott getting fed up with all the fanboy crew members constantly asking him where the queen fits into all this. @Valaquen has an earlier interview with Scott on his blog somewhere, in which Scott said he liked the Queen and thought Aliens was a very good film.

Valaquen

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 09, 2023, 12:00:14 PMThough I suspect that might simply have been Scott getting fed up with all the fanboy crew members constantly asking him where the queen fits into all this. @Valaquen has an earlier interview with Scott on his blog somewhere, in which Scott said he liked the Queen and thought Aliens was a very good film.

I have these from a few years ago:

QuotePaul Sammon quotes Ridley Scott on the topic of the second movie in Aliens: The Illustrated Screenplay. Scott starts by bringing up his criticisms: "I suppose my main criticism of Aliens would be that there were too many of them. You were exposed to too much of the warriors and even mother Alien, which, by the way, I thought was a very good idea. Therefore there was no catatonic fear. And you know Sigourney's going to win. So right there you've saddled yourself with a problem."

Barring that, he summarised: "It's always a tough job to follow a successful film with a sequel to it ... so what I think James Cameron did was an excellent action picture. It really was amazing what he accomplished. There's also no question that Cameron made an excellent film with Aliens. It really is an achievement."

In 2012, Scott had either overcome his issues with the movie or simply set them aside, stating that, "Jim loved Alien, adored it ... I would never, ever critique or criticise [Aliens] because I think it was very successful and what he did was really good."

TomT

TomT

Idk, we have quotes were he implies he dislikes Aliens and quotes where he claims he really liked it. And he also claimed he haven't seen any of them during Covenant press tour. Ridley is a pathological liar, maybe that's just age, but I wouldn't trust his quotes anyway, who knows what he actually thinks privately.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Thanks Valaquen.

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 01:56:41 PMIdk, we have quotes were he implies he dislikes Aliens and quotes where he claims he really liked it. And he also claimed he haven't seen any of them during Covenant press tour. Ridley is a pathological liar, maybe that's just age, but I wouldn't trust his quotes anyway, who knows what he actually thinks privately.

Paul M. Sammon and Empire are pretty solid sources. Still waiting for your's...

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 09:15:11 AM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 09, 2023, 01:47:06 AMUltimately it got cancelled because Fox would rather spend money with Ridley's established name attached instead of Blomkamp. It's all business.
Maybe, but Ridley asked Fox to cancel it by his own words and Blomkamp implied that as well, so it's not like Fox chose to do it without Ridley's influence. Ridley hates all Alien sequels and crossovers including James Cameron's film, so obviously he didn't want to do Aliens sequel from the get-go despite attaching himself as producer at the time.

Not a maybe, it was a big reason. Blomkamp's name doesn't sell as many tickets as a Ridley Scott does. And it was known as "his" franchise internally, so business-wise it made sense to the money spenders that the guy who helped father the franchise would continue the franchise. This is after the mixed reaction to Prometheus too. They were still stuck on the Ridley name.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Mar 09, 2023, 03:04:25 PM
Quote from: TomT on Mar 09, 2023, 09:15:11 AM

Not a maybe, it was a big reason. Blomkamp's name doesn't sell as many tickets as a Ridley Scott does. And it was known as "his" franchise internally, so business-wise it made sense to the money spenders that the guy who helped father the franchise would continue the it. This is after the mixed reaction to Prometheus too. They were still stuck on the Ridley name.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed