Neill Blomkamp Talks The (De) Evolution of Alien 3.2

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Talks The (De) Evolution of Alien 3.2 (Read 68,032 times)

Corporal Hicks

In a new interview with Funhaus, Neill Blomkamp has spoken a little about his work on and what happened to his proposed Alien 5. While the interview is primarily about his recent work on the fantastic Oats Studios, the hosts can’t help but sneak in some questions about Blomkamp’s involvement with existing properties such as Halo and Alien.

Blomkamp doesn’t go into specifics about the story, but he does talk a little about how far he got into working on the alternate Alien 3 and re-emphasizes that the film started as a Ripley-less film that would turn into an alternate Alien 3 after talking to her on the set of Chappie.

“I basically worked on Alien for about…I met Sigourney on Chappie and I had a different idea for an Alien film I wanted to make. So I had this idea for a story set in the world of those two first films that was not a continuation of James Cameron’s. It was just in the world of it and it had a totally different character that was the lead character. Because my assumption was that Sigourney would just never make another one and I told her about it on Chappie and she was like “No, no, no! I actually would make another one because I felt like Ripley’s story didn’t end correctly.” I was like “oh, okay. That’s amazing!”

So I went back to Vancouver and while I was editing Chappie I started to think about what I would do with Sigourney as basically a sequel to James Cameron’s film. I spent about a year working on it with only Sigourney knowing and I hired one really awesome concept artist. We put together essentially a script and all the artwork and that’s what I went to 20th Century Fox with. They seemed really into it and Ridley came on as producer and then it just unraveled. “

Blomkamp does go on to talk a little about the film’s apparent cancellation. Again, he doesn’t go into specifics but seems to hint at it being due to Ridley’s involvement as producer.

“It’s very difficult to speak about on several levels because Ridley created Alien. It was something that inspired me deeply. I got into film because of it. Everything that happened with my script and with the way the film collapsed – it’s hard to talk about it without it seeming like I’m bashing him which is like one of my idols to get into film. It’s a super strange psychological place but films go down in Hollywood all the time. That’s just essentially, I think, what happened and it sucks for me…It’s not that it sucks for Sigourney, it’s not going to make any difference to her, but I think she really did like the story because it allowed Ripley to…it really felt like a cool third film.”

Last month, Blomkamp was asked about the current condition of the film where he re-affirmed that the film was unlikely to happen: “I think it's totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point.

It's sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it's gone now, and the way that it all is — it's just not going to live.”

Thanks to HippyHunter7 via r/LV426 for the link. Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

BR1XER

Quote...but I think she really did like the story because it allowed Ripley to...

To what? Sad that we won't get the answer to this. But I'm thinking along the lines of finish her character arc with justice.

Whos_Nick

why did Ridley bully Blomkamp out of Alien

londez

Just say it Neil, Ridley is a jerk. 

Rush Hour Rambo

I'd much rather have seen what Blomkamp would have done than the mediocrity tired old Ridley is chucking out. The Oats Studio stuff is ace, Rakka in particular since Sigourney is in that.

Real shame it's dead.

426Buddy

He should have stuck to his original idea and not turned it into Aliens 2.

Oh well, not really bothered that it wont happen.

Engineer

First there's a script...

... then there never was a script...

... and now there's a script again...

Somebody's lying, and I'm betting it's Mr. Scott!

THE CITY HUNTER

Defo same here I liked Alien 3.

genocyber

Instead of a wild Aliens follow up we get David making out with himself and big grey men being exterminated. Sort of puts AVPR in a more modest spectrum.

Rankles75

Quote from: BR1XER on Jul 09, 2017, 05:08:15 PM
Quote...but I think she really did like the story because it allowed Ripley to...

To what? Sad that we won't get the answer to this. But I'm thinking along the lines of finish her character arc with justice.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Hopefully, if the film doesn't ever happen, he will at least reveal how it would have panned out...

KiramidHead

Well, hopefully the script leaks... not because I want to podcast about it, no sir... :laugh:

misterx

I suspect what Ridley Scott really meant when he said there wasn't a script, was that there wasn't a script <he liked>. Keeping in mind the Robin Hood script fiasco, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Kimo

Personally I love District 9 and Elysium, but I think it was the low figures that Elysium and Chappie brought in that made Fox go with Ridley over Blomkamp. I bet if Chappie was a hit we would of got Blomkamp Aliens by now. I know Ridley has had some duds but Ridley has made enough hits to warrant another alien film that Fox would want to invest in. However I hope we get an Alien film from Blomkamp in the near future.

Ed209

Blomkamp seems perfect to make an alien movie. Really hope this happens one way or another. Couldn't the script be reworked as a sequel to resurrection. There are 4 survivors of Aliens and 4 survivors of Resurrection. Just shuffle the characters around and we have a legitimate Alien 5. Would love to see a leaked script at the very least.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Hmm here it seems that Blomkamp says there was a script, wheras Ridley says there wasn't except a ten page outline and art work. Seems Ridley wanted all the attention and over ruled Blomkamp. And after all the years he's taken so long doing the Counselor, Exodus Gods and Kings which nobody cares about. The Martian however was a decent film.

Fox and Ridley took too long to fulfill doing another two installments for Prometheus leading into Alien. When enthusiasm returned for Neill Blomkamp's project Ridley Retroactive re-juxtaposed his Prometheus sequel into just another Alien rehash because Prometheus wasn't well embraced by the majority of Alien fans.

Alien Covenant received fare reviews from critics, and a polarizing response from fans with most being disappointed. And a so and such box office beneath their expectations. Now its not clear if Fox will over look this and make another Alien prequel Alien Awakening with Ridley. "I'd be fine with one more film that ties into how the Space jockey crashed his ship on LV-426" Or Fox will just cancel the prequel series and wait a couple of year before they'll either reboot the series all together or do a soft reboot sequel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed