Status Update on Sequel and Mod Support

Started by ikarop, May 13, 2011, 08:18:51 PM

Author
Status Update on Sequel and Mod Support (Read 84,629 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: ScardyFox on May 14, 2011, 06:44:31 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2011, 03:56:53 PM
I can't say I agree. Rebellion rock. They made some mistakes on AvP but they fixed the balance for the PC edition. As long as they can fix the rubbish matchmaking and do a better storyline,  I'll happily have them back.

Fortunately the vast player base that abandoned this horrorshow of a disaster disagree with you. I've never seen a game so throughly evacuated by its players such as this one. It was an absolute disaster and I hope Rebellion never gets their tainted meathooks on another game I even remotely care about.

Like I said, they fixed the balance. Just a shame this happened to take them time. Not everyone will wait around for the fix. And, of course, the horrible matchmaking. Which will drive people away.

I just want to give them a chance to come back with what they've learnt and get it spot on. Much more enjoyable then AvP2.

Bio Mech Hunter

I'm with Hicks on this. I'd gladly give Rebellion another crack at AVP with a sequel if they're given the time frame needed to make sure its properly polished and include the level of content befitting the Alien & Predator universe.

The fans have been extremely vocal on the game's pros and cons. It's not like Rebellion are unaware of what we want and how we want it.

AVP had some awesome ideas and gameplay mechanics that simply needed some tweaking to improve faithful portrayal of each species and better balance between them in MP (which was done to an extent for the PC version).

A longer campaign with a better intertwining story are a given, but co-op and making some of the MP modes more objective based are a must (like for Infestation & Predator Hunt modes). Improved net-code, hit detection, and matchmaking are desperately needed.

There were a lot of other no-brainer options and features that should've been included, but I pretty sure they weren't do to the development timeframe.

RakaiThwei

Well that... sucks... I was looking forward for a continuation of the AvP Saga but... oh well.

-Rakai'Thwei

Secret Agent Man

I agree that AVP was a good game.
I enjoyed it thoroughly for what it managed to deliver: a solid Alien vs Predator experience.
The ambience, the setting, the story, the graphics, etc. are all solid in my opinion.

As a competitive multi-player game however this game falls flat on its face, hence why it doesn't have any lasting appeal to me nor most of the people who bought the game.
I can excuse a lot of issues simply for it being an AvP game but the game really is unbearably frustrating when you take it online.
It makes sense to have a melee system installed when two races utilise cqc so I can only applaud its inclusion, but the execution is poor and really the system lacks any depth whatsoever.
And I always thought the close quarters fighting felt rather clunky (especially when playing as an alien); it looks rather goofy when you view an Alien and a Predator repeatedly running into each other and retreating with crossed arms like they're performing a sort of joust or whatever.
This being an AvP game, I would have expected grapples, tackles and frantic slashing instead of what we ended up with.
Though I imagine this might have been difficult to implement on consoles with the limitations the controllers bring with them, those being a lack of buttons to offer all of those functions.

I suspect ''consolisation'' trickled into the way the marine plays as well.
Aiming just feels a tad bit too unresponsive, which can spell your doom in a multiplayer situation.
Attempting to fiddle with the mouse settings presents you with all sorts of weird options I have never before encountered in PC shooters such as seperate x and y axis sensitivity and an option to ''reduce mouse lag'', the latter probably being a sort of band-aid applied to combat the console-y feel where stitches might have been a more appropriate treatment.

Individually these problems are bearable, but when combined it just becomes too much to deal with for someone who grew up on Quake III based shooters.

Deathly_rYaN

In my perspective they got all the features for all 3 species correct, they need better multiplayer matchmaing(etc...), LONGER story. In the end of AvP. When they revealed the Aliens Home Planet that just made me stop playingit. You will screw up AvP if the predators go to the Aliens Home planet.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

That sucks since I wanted a sequel. I hope Sega could give us a stand alone Predator game soon.

AJL

Proper modding tools with source code and stuff OR sequel ?? I choose Modding
tools anyday (exept maybe some 5-10 years from now when this game is again
hopelessly outdated graphics wise like AvP2 is now...)

And sure there are features I don't like in this game... But I am putting the blame
on many of them on the fact that this is multiplatform game... its the damn console
influence and I am sure any company making this kind of game these days would
do those things the same way...

And so I have no problem with Rebellion (unless they are the ones holding back the
SDK but I have been under the impression thats its sega calling the shots on such
things... am I wrong?)

stemot

AvP 2010 is so much better than AvP 2 it isn't even funny. Rebellion should have another go to improve on what they already got right such as the feeling of each creature, level design that played to the strengths of each one and a real movie feel.

Stalker

Quote from: AJL on May 15, 2011, 06:22:03 AM
And sure there are features I don't like in this game... But I am putting the blame
on many of them on the fact that this is multiplatform game... its the damn console
influence and I am sure any company making this kind of game these days would
do those things the same way...

There are many amazing games on console, that's got nothing to do with it. The controls on the 360 version were far superior to the previous PC games.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: Stalker on May 15, 2011, 07:27:44 AM
There are many amazing games on console, that's got nothing to do with it. The controls on the 360 version were far superior to the previous PC games.

Since I don't play with consoles, when I talk about this AvP game and
what other games are like these days, I am of course talking about the
PC version(s)...

And what I don't like about how this AvP plays are things that I always
seem to find in multiplatform games... And so in my mind that means it
is the console influence and as such change of developer would mean
nothing... If it is multiplatform game, it would be like this anyway...

But what I think make game good or bad doesn't have to have anything
to do with what you or anyone else thinks. You may like what I hate and
vise versa... Its a matter of opinion...

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: AJL on May 15, 2011, 06:22:03 AM
And so I have no problem with Rebellion (unless they are the ones holding back the
SDK but I have been under the impression thats its sega calling the shots on such
things... am I wrong?)

Rebellion wants to support the community and would have liked an SDK, but as you can image those kind of decisions don't rest with them. If the publisher says no there isn't much more they can do about it.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2011, 07:10:07 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on May 14, 2011, 06:44:31 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2011, 03:56:53 PM
I can't say I agree. Rebellion rock. They made some mistakes on AvP but they fixed the balance for the PC edition. As long as they can fix the rubbish matchmaking and do a better storyline,  I'll happily have them back.

Fortunately the vast player base that abandoned this horrorshow of a disaster disagree with you. I've never seen a game so throughly evacuated by its players such as this one. It was an absolute disaster and I hope Rebellion never gets their tainted meathooks on another game I even remotely care about.

Like I said, they fixed the balance. Just a shame this happened to take them time. Not everyone will wait around for the fix. And, of course, the horrible matchmaking. Which will drive people away.

I just want to give them a chance to come back with what they've learnt and get it spot on. Much more enjoyable then AvP2.

In a way I respect your opinion from the sheer fact you enjoy it and are still playing it. Perhaps its gotten much better since last I played but there is just way too much they messed up out the gate along with a lot of missing modes and the such. Like it or not they have woefully tarnished the game (title) through the mass exodus of people leaving it (because it was so bad) and then support for it being dropped.

Too much at stake (as in the series continuation) to let people have another go at it when they messed up so very very badly first time around.

Corporal Hicks

I wont argue with the fact that they bungled too much out of the box. They shoulda fixed so much before they released the game and the issues certainly turned many away. Which is a shame. But I'm not going to pretend I know all the internal politics of it. I know there's a lot we don't know, I know they didn't have as much time on the finished game as we think. IIRC they went through 3 builds while they made it, Ikarop maybe able to correct me?

But I don't, nor will I ever, change the opinion that Rebellion have created the best AvP games so far. AvP1 had the tension and the fear and it looked like I was playing in the movies, like I was an extra character. AvP 2010 enhanced that which this unique gameplay mechanic that made me feel more like an Alien or Predator than I ever have. It all looks correct, it plays correct and it feels correct.

I just want them to come back, knowing what works and what needs fixing, and do it right from scratch this time.

PHANTOM

I agree 100%.

Rebellion made a kickass game on short notice. I believe if we give Rebellion a 2nd chance they'll make a perfect AVP game.

For a company who had almost no time to put this game together I'd say they did a great job, especially on the PC. They were quick to fix many issues for the multiplayer and singleplayer. Very quick. Most developers take their sweet ass time and end up fixing nothing.

The only time I think I would say we should give it to someone else is if EA and Dice wanted to make an AVP game, so since that will never happen I only trust Rebellion at the moment.

This isn't entirely bad news anyways, Aliens Colonial Marines is coming next and SEGA didn't say "NO NEVER AGAIN" they just said...

not yet and I completely understand. Other games are being made and they are saving the best for last which is AVP 8)

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

SEGA never should've had the rights... Rebellion just isn't the best developer in the scene, and while visually quite alright, AvP'10 felt like a 90's shooter, and not a very good one.

Next time I'd rather have Ravensoft have a go at it with some decent funds. If it turns out half as good as Singularity was...

Quote from: PHANTOM on May 15, 2011, 05:29:46 PM
I agree 100%.

Rebellion made a kickass game on short notice. I believe if we give Rebellion a 2nd chance they'll make a perfect AVP game.

This WAS their second attempt. And while it was what AvP'99 should've been + amped up graphics, it was a maimed version for all three platforms. Aborting gameplay elements and improve on something that worked fine as it was and thus breaking it (yes, melee system, I was talking about you), tailor cut for consoles only, with little adaption for the PC-version. Poor.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2011, 07:10:07 PM
Much more enjoyable then AvP2.

You just lost all credibility  :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed