Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,915 times)

robbritton

robbritton

I'm sad for Michael Biehn. He's destined to be forever shafted by this franchise, the poor fella.

I thought it looked interesting and I imagine Blomkamp would have brought 100% more excitement from himself to it than bloody Ridley can manage anymore. I genuinely liked Covenant, but I really dislike Alien becoming the Ridley Scott pondering stuff Star Trek has done a million times show. Alien should be about fresh blood. Also, I still maintain it would have been harder to do this idea than start afresh, so I dug the challenge he was setting himself. Ah well. Maybe Covenant audience numbers will change this yet.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

So classy of Scott. Bah!

zoidy

I think it's amusing that people are worried about Covenant not getting good enough numbers, which they think will prevent him making a new one, but at the same time people think Ridley is able to prevent Fox making a different film in that same universe.

FOX make all the decisions, not 80 year old Ridley Scott. I maintain that no matter if Covenant makes more or less money than Fox hoped, Ridley will be allowed (allowed) by Fox to make another, because he's still an A list director. But Ridley isn't making the decisions, and he isn't making the decisions about Alien5. If Fox think it would make money ...

T Dog

Did anybody else notice the de-aged Michael Biehn in the Oates trailer?

Anthony

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jun 03, 2017, 05:57:26 PM
A real shame, as it would have been nice to finally get a decent follow up to Aliens, but the writing has been on the wall for some time. Guess the series will just have to end with Aliens in my canon then...

Wonder if he will ever reveal where he would have gone with it? Would be very interested to find out...

Sometime down the road, the script will likely leak out, or Blomkamp could spill some details.

SpreadEagleBeagle

These are great news.

Hughughug

Quote from: zoidy on Jun 03, 2017, 07:09:20 PM
I think it's amusing that people are worried about Covenant not getting good enough numbers, which they think will prevent him making a new one, but at the same time people think Ridley is able to prevent Fox making a different film in that same universe.

FOX make all the decisions, not 80 year old Ridley Scott. I maintain that no matter if Covenant makes more or less money than Fox hoped, Ridley will be allowed (allowed) by Fox to make another, because he's still an A list director. But Ridley isn't making the decisions, and he isn't making the decisions about Alien5. If Fox think it would make money ...

Right. So why it got a green light, and they started working on it, made props and such...only to put the brakes on it all of a sudden. I'm not saying it's something unheard of, plenty of films in development have suffered sudden deaths or stalling, but you gotta admit the timing was suspicious to say the least. Then you have Scott dismissing it as "it didn't even have a script" which is bollocks. And Blomkamp saying "I wouldn't have liked to go stamping around in his work", really, tells you everything.
Sure, the Fox execs call the shots, but surely they prefer to keep their A list director happy, than one-hit wonder Blomkamp.

Lonely Universe

This franchise is cursed like no other.

D88M

i am glad, i dont like his ideas for this movie at all

DoomRulz

It couldn't have been any worse than Covenant.

whiterabbit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 03, 2017, 07:57:57 PM
Context wise, probably not. Still it is a good thing. AVP3 is a better gamble.

Penguin

Penguin

This is sad news. I would have loved to see Ripley, Hicks and Adult Newt for one final ride. I like Alien 3 but would have just treated it as a What-if story.

Hughughug

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 03, 2017, 07:59:29 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 03, 2017, 07:57:57 PM
Context wise, probably not. Still it is a good thing. AVP3 is a better gamble.

Depends who they get to direct. I have fun with the Paul WS one, but the Strause Bros one is godawful.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Very, very disappointed with this. I think we could've gotten something truly special. People have been dreaming of seeing Ripley, Hicks, and Newt reunited since the comics in the 80's. This was a perfect storm opportunity that was seemingly sabotaged by Scott.

The most common complaint I saw about this film was "But I like Alien³." I love Alien³, and Blomkamp made it clear he wasn't trying to erase that film. Creating an alternate canon doesn't get rid of what came before. Blomkamp was humble, admitting his mistakes from previous films and pledging to learn from them, which is more than what can be said of most directors these days. His style would have complemented the Alien Universe immensely, just seeing those incredible pieces of art and even that prop pulse rifle got me way more pumped than anything leading up to Covenant. I really hope we get an art book or graphic novel for it someday.

Scott seems determined to keep the franchise to himself, and him saying possessive things like this franchise is "my baby" and "I'm not going to let this get away from me again" has been really off-putting. Alien was just as much of a product of Dan O'Bannon, H.R. Giger, and Ron Cobb as it was an accomplishment of Ridley Scott.

Scott also seemed to actively undermine the project, claiming there was no script, even though a script was confirmed by multiple high profile people, and saying about the film "It seems like shooting your big toe off." It's clear that he doesn't want anyone to play in his sandbox. It's entirely strange to me for someone who was never known for sequels to return to this franchise and claim to be the arbiter of it. I'm honestly glad that Covenant is bombing, perhaps it may bring Fox to their senses.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: Hughughug on Jun 03, 2017, 07:43:45 PM
Quote from: zoidy on Jun 03, 2017, 07:09:20 PM

Right. So why it got a green light, and they started working on it, made props and such...only to put the brakes on it all of a sudden. I'm not saying it's something unheard of, plenty of films in development have suffered sudden deaths or stalling, but you gotta admit the timing was suspicious to say the least. Then you have Scott dismissing it as "it didn't even have a script" which is bollocks. And Blomkamp saying "I wouldn't have liked to go stamping around in his work", really, tells you everything.
Sure, the Fox execs call the shots, but surely they prefer to keep their A list director happy, than one-hit wonder Blomkamp.

Getting the green light, making props, pre production even ... happens all the time.

But the idea Ridley scuppered it is surely nonsensical. Fox have scuppered it. Now perhaps they did it because they see a future in the current Alien series following Prometheus and Covenant, and don't want two different films, for audience confusion reasons, or simple financial reasons (1 alien IP at a time), who knows.

Put it this way - Fox aren't known for abandoning promising projects because another director said boo. Makes no sense. Fox did it for hard commercial reasons, whatever they were. That Blomkamp tries to implicate Scott without actually coming out and saying it ... not really buying it.

Guillermo del Toro tries to get a Lovecraft movie made, with support of Tom Cruise at one point, and studios just point blank refuse to fund it. But people think Ridley Scott can crush another project, rather than Fox being the ones who decided?

As I say, not buying it.

Most likely truth? Fox didn't trust Blomkamp, or the script, or both, and didnt think they would *make money*.

Simples.

(and I am disappointed, it sounded good)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed