Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III!

Started by Katanu, Nov 13, 2019, 06:11:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III! (Read 58,053 times)

Russ840

First issue is a good set up. Some good action in here.

Art is good. Looking forward to more.

Voodoo Magic

Nice! Will be picking up my copy tonight. Woot!

SuperiorIronman

Spoiler
I really like the opening even if I find some of the religious talk a bit eye rolling. That being said he'd been through a lot so freaking out a little and rambling is probably warranted.
I think I heard that this book is supposed to have two Predators so my initial reaction to the first issue is that Herrera didn't actually kill his Predator in the flashback. That he injured it and ran off with the Predator surviving out in the jungle or at least still frequenting the area. Whether that's the new hunter or not I'm not sure but that'd be my guess. That'd also fit in well with the other books with Enoch having killed his, Swain not fighting it until later, and now Herrera who did fight it but potentially didn't kill it.

Only issues is that the art isn't great as I'd have preferred the former style but this works fine. It's just that some expressions look a little goofy. Also the Predator action is more or less what's been covered in the preview and that Herrera had encountered the Predators prior.The comic pretty much serves to refresh the audience on what happened prior which isn't a bad thing though I can imagine it's going to be a bit off if you read it in one sitting.

I will admit I like the creativity of the book's final kill. It's simple but not something I'd expect to see a Predator do. Good stuff.

[close]

A-
-Some odd expressions
-The strange selfie moment
-Herrera rambles a fair bit though while understandable can be a little annoying.

Overall it's pretty good. Also can't help but notice that it seems to be printed on nicer paper than Thicker than blood is. Very nice.

Xiggz456

Great first issue!

Spoiler
Raphael's recap of events from his perspective was a creative way to bring the reader back up to speed with the events from the first two series. And some cool predator moments from Brian Thies in the retelling of Raphael's encounter as well.

We got a glimpse of who appears to be Schaefer delivering a signature cheesy one liner when he spots Ligachev from "Cold War" but no confirmation on if it is these specific characters.

Lastly we see the "present day" Predator wrecking a bunch of drug dealers with some more great panels from Brian Thies.
[close]

Really excited to see where the story goes from here!

Voodoo Magic

Very, very good first issue!!! I'm so glad that quality hasn't dropped. The Hunters series has a real cinematic quality to it. Chris is writing film scripts here!  Good stuff!

The only thing I can't get my head around is....
Spoiler
Was Raphael always this religious? Is this new or do I have revisit Hunters (I) because my recollection is faulty?  It's not a fault of the comic if I'm remembering incorrectly, but if this heavy religious hand is new, Chris should have thrown in a team observation line like "It's crazy. Since Raphael has returned he seemed to find religion" or something of the like.

Also that unknown hot zone visitor.. I suspect it may be a certain gal from Dark River... ;D
[close]

Xiggz456

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 06, 2020, 02:06:55 PM
Very, very good first issue!!! I'm so glad that quality hasn't dropped. The Hunters series has a real cinematic quality to it. Chris is writing film scripts here!  Good stuff!

Spoiler
Was Raphael always this religious? Is this new or do I have revisit Hunters (I) because my recollection is faulty?  It's not a fault of the comic if I'm remembering incorrectly, but if this heavy religious hand is new, Chris should have thrown in a team observation line like "It's crazy. Since Raphael has returned he seemed to find religion" or something of the like.

Also that unknown hot zone visitor.. I suspect it may be a certain gal from Dark River... ;D
[close]
Spoiler
Raphael is from Latin America which is predominantly Catholic due to the colonization/conquest of Spain over those lands. So him having a reflective religious moment doesn't seem out of place at all in my book.

And I think the hot zone visitor is the gal from Cold War... We shall see next month hopefully!
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 06, 2020, 06:19:59 PM

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
Raphael is from Latin America which is predominantly Catholic due to the colonization/conquest of Spain over those lands. So him having a reflective religious moment doesn't seem out of place at all in my book.

And I think the hot zone visitor is the gal from Cold War... We shall see next month hopefully!
[close]

Yeah but
Spoiler
Raphael Herrera was a drug runner so that doesn't scream religious to me.  Now perhaps he found religion when he retired, assumingly after his family was killed, but it just struck me as a bit out a character based off the little I remember of him.  Raphael now seems to know his scriptures though and is deeply into it, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I'm going to re-read it again and revisit Hunters I and see if I missed some hints. Either way, I still really liked it though!

Yeah, regarding our mystery woman, hopefully we'll find out who's right next issue!  :)

[close]

Xiggz456

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 06, 2020, 06:33:00 PM

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler

[close]

Yeah but
Spoiler
Raphael Herrera was a drug runner so that doesn't scream religious to me.  Now perhaps he found religion when he retired, assumingly after his family was killed, but it just struck me as a bit out a character based off the little I remember of him.  Raphael now seems to know his scriptures though and is deeply into it, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I'm going to re-read it again and revisit Hunters I and see if I missed some hints. Either way, I still really liked it though!

Yeah, regarding our mystery woman, hopefully we'll find out who's right next issue!  :)

[close]

I mean Italian mobsters are also very religious (Catholic) so it's not uncommon to be in a sinful business and still worship regularly. That Catholic guilt weighs heavy!

happypred

Art in Thicker than Blood way better than the art in this

Xiggz456

Ya but Wheatley hands down has the best looking predators in the business (his Xenos are up there too). But I really enjoy Brian Thies style as it captures a lot of movement.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: happypred on Feb 07, 2020, 03:33:46 AM
Art in Thicker than Blood way better than the art in this

Hmm. Maybe? They're different styles.

But the Hunters III story is already kicking Thicker than Blood's ass in my humble opinion. Thicker's story is about as deep as a thumbtack, which would be fine if it was written as an action comic, but it's not. So Thicker has me frustrated two issues in.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 06, 2020, 06:33:00 PM

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler

[close]

Yeah but
Spoiler

[close]

I thought this as well, but Xiggz456 has a decent point. It does make me want to go back and re-read the first series anyway, just to check.

I enjoyed the first issue. It's kicking off quite nicely. Also a fan of Thies art - have been since Life and Death - though I'm still not sure on these head/mask proportions. They look soooo big.

happypred

I actually think Mooneyham does the best predators.

The Ahab flashback hunt scene in Predator Fire & Stone blew my socks off

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: happypred on Feb 08, 2020, 11:13:34 AM
I actually think Mooneyham does the best predators.

The Ahab flashback hunt scene in Predator Fire & Stone blew my socks off

Yeah, Ahab was good.

426Buddy

Cant wait for this!

I miss having a local comic shop, I'm still waiting for the first issue to arrive. I decided to also pick up the Hunters II TPB finally, only have the single issues.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed