Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects (Read 28,718 times)

The Old One

The Old One

The ultimate Alien is Isolation's H.R Giger interpretation.

Local Trouble

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 05, 2019, 04:39:30 PM
The ultimate Alien is Isolation's H.R Giger interpretation.
Counter argument: no. His square jaw is ridiculous and makes him look blocky and lumpy, totally spoiling the sleeker, gaunt lines of Giger's Alien's face. And the digitigrade legs make it look gangly and awkwardly stretched

The Old One

The Old One

The face is a cliche monster face, yes- agreed. The H.R Giger's original "face" is superior.

I believe the "gangly" aspect's good though and the proportions, it's the perfect uncanny-valley
between the obvious man-in-a-suit and the unbelievable digital Alien.

Evocative of
Spoiler
[close]
IMO

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Mar 05, 2019, 10:48:33 PMCounter argument: no. His square jaw is ridiculous and makes him look blocky and lumpy, totally spoiling the sleeker, gaunt lines of Giger's Alien's face. And the digitigrade legs make it look gangly and awkwardly stretched

Not unlike the AR version, on both counts.

The Old One

The Old One

No,

Spoiler

The AR version's chin's pointed, the AI version's chin's squared.

The AR version's legs are thin, the AI version's legs are thick.
[close]

SiL

I also dislike the perpetually hunched-over look, which is again typical monster fare.

Local Trouble

Dang, SiL is just tearing Stompy to shreds.

Samhain13

The two jointed/chicken legs were unecessary.

Huggs

I would've preferred a straight up recreation of big chap. But I can live with stompy.

Samhain13

Same. Despite some complains, it still looks great, at least on the games the aliens usually maintain their biomechanical details. Even on AVP2010 where they copied the predator design from the avp movies, they decided to follow the Cameron aliens instead of the ADI version.

Regardless Stompy is on the top of the aliens's portayal on videogames. But the AVP2 alien with a Giger skin mod looks pretty good as well:

SiL

Stompy is at the pit of the Uncanny Valley of Alien designs. Close enough to the original to feel related, but with so many little tweaks that really, really f**k with the feel of the design.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 06, 2019, 03:36:11 AM
The two jointed/chicken legs were unecessary.
I've never agreed with you more about anything.

The Old One

The Old One

A true, agree to disagree then. lol

The appendage alterations <3
Especially the back appendages (& positions), shoulder areas, the wrists and hands.

SiL

QuoteA true, agree to disagree then. lol
Absolutely! Joys of a truly subjective discussion.

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 06, 2019, 08:22:26 AM

That broad, stupid chin ...

Perfect-Organism

There is something to what Sil is saying.  Stompy is not a bad design, but there is something oddly over-square about the chin.  Too wide maybe.  Definitely missing the lips.  There is something that breaks the illusion of the creature.  Maybe it needs more crazy drool..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed