Official release date, synopsis and logo revealed

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Nov 16, 2015, 05:13:54 PM

Author
Official release date, synopsis and logo revealed (Read 54,258 times)

oduodu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2015, 09:11:14 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Nov 16, 2015, 08:58:39 PM
I am hoping not. Except maybe if its well set after  alien say 300 or so years and the tech has really gone way beyond anything we can think of now . Although this sounds even worse.

Personally I like the idea of it being set well after Alien. An old ship, hundreds of year old, outdated and drifting through space all that time.

Thinking about it now it could be nice . Actually its sounds better the more I think about it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 16, 2015, 08:03:34 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 16, 2015, 07:56:46 PM

I can easily imagine David contacting a colony ship in order to obtain human Guinea pigs for his experiments. "Come to coordinates xxxx-xxxx-xxx, it's Paradise, we have have balmy beaches with palm trees and piña coladas".  :)

I assume this film will be larger in scope than Prometheus with a pretty hefty body-count if we're talking about an entire ship full of colonists.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. The Engineers require human hosts and recruit David to bring them to them.

That sounds pretty reasonable and likely actually. I think I could dig it too. David was so utterly fascinating in the film.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 16, 2015, 09:16:32 PM
It just reminded me of a film called "Pandorum" where humans send out a huge ship to go and colonize a nearby Earth like world. The ship is filled with mutated humans that have evolved to live in the ship due to how long it has been drifting.

We then learn that
Spoiler
the ship has crashed on the planet and has been on it for quite some time...
[close]

I've never seen the film (I've meant to and might watch it tonight now you've mentioned it) but that's a pretty typical twist for that kind of plot. I'd hate to see it recycled here.

Ultramorph

I too would sort of like it if the movie was set far in the future, the year 3000 or something like that. That would give David a good long while to experiment with whatever he finds on the Engineer planet, becoming some sort of Elden-esque demi-god.

As far as Shaw, like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they went with "she didn't find answers on Paradise, so she went somewhere else that we'll get in the final movie."

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 16, 2015, 08:30:46 PM
The Alien series shows that space travel is very difficult

I wouldn't say that. 'Alien' shows space travel as fairly routine; the Nostromo crew are very jaded about their travelling experience. 'Aliens' shows the Sulaco is fast enough to reach LV-426 in, what? Couple of weeks or so? Most of the Marines aboard it think poorly of Gorman not having nearly as much experience at "combat drops" as the rest of them. They're zipping around colonies to figure out what's happening with them on a regular basis.

Cryotubes are a hassle, I guess, but the practical business looks like people don't have much trouble with it. Even the Prometheus demonstrates we've discovered the miracle of artificial gravity.

oduodu

So prometheus 3  cannot follow chronologically as it must be before Alien ??

Ben Brown

Couple of random thoughts:

Though it's definitely weird that there's no mention of Shaw, I am beyond excited about this, for two reasons. One: Shaw was–let's face it–not exactly the most interesting protagonist. David, on the other hand, was by FAR the most interesting character in the first film. Putting him front and center–at least in terms of returning characters from the first film–is a smart choice; it shows that Scott and team are genuinely taking the time to learn what worked best with the first film, then making changes accordingly.

The OTHER reason I'm excited about there being zero mention of Shaw is, as Bat Chain Puller alluded to in his 'Luke Skywalker Force Awakens' comment, it leaves open an interesting plot thread/mystery that Scott and team could pick up on later on, potentially in Film #3: what happened to Shaw? What exactly happened between the events of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant? Not only could this potentially create a nice cyclical, come-full-circle structure of this 'prequel trilogy,' but it also, in turn, could help to make Shaw a more interesting character in her own right. The Shaw that we had in Prometheus wasn't that interesting; a Shaw that's disappeared, whereabouts unknown, that shows up later on, having undergone who knows what kinds of changes? THAT'S interesting.

I also have to say: it's interesting that Twentieth Century Fox, by releasing this synopsis, has officially nailed down a direction-of-sorts for the franchise for the next few years, at least in terms of the films. In every interview that Scott's given over the last few months, it seemed as if he was throwing everything that came to the top of his mind out there; it was interesting stuff, don't get me wrong, but it gave off the illusion that he was sort of making this stuff up as he went along (the fact that the film's title seemed to be changing every time he spoke didn't help, either). By officially labeling Alien: Covenant as the "second film" in a "prequel trilogy," Fox seems to be making a distinct effort to simultaneously reel Scott's plans in (i.e. now it's a prequel trilogy, as opposed to three or four sequels) while also giving the director a clear set of boundaries to work within. As far as I see it, this is awesome news all the way around. I couldn't be more psyched  :)  :)  :)

oduodu

oduodu

Oh well . I thought colony ship meant people who lived on a colony nearby. Forgive my ignorance. This really sounds great if its a few hundred of years later . The potential and scope of this is mind blowing.

What's even better if it is a few hundred years later is that it doesn't mess with the established canon of the other movies. It simply tells it own story. Will we see a WY merger in Prometheus 3 ? But so far it sounds great.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: oduodu on Nov 16, 2015, 09:49:27 PM
What's even better if it is a few hundred years later is that it doesn't mess with the established canon of the other movies. It simply tells it own story. Will we see a WY merger in Prometheus 3 ? But so far it sounds great.

I'd prefer not to see anything like that in Covenant. Leave that kind of thing to Alien. I want these prequels to go more towards exploring the unknowns in space.

oduodu

oduodu

You are probably right about leaving the WY merger to Alien.

Exploring the unknowns of space - but how much of that will be "space jockey" civilization ?? Does the unknowns have to be Lovecaraftian or more space odyssey like. How would describe it or want it ??

Still I like it and hope I get what you mean. It sounds kinda space odyssey - ish.   

There is a sense of satisfaction and happiness with in me. IF the movie comes anywhere near what has been speculated here.

*sighs satisfied*

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 16, 2015, 09:36:18 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 16, 2015, 08:30:46 PM
The Alien series shows that space travel is very difficult

I wouldn't say that. 'Alien' shows space travel as fairly routine; the Nostromo crew are very jaded about their travelling experience. 'Aliens' shows the Sulaco is fast enough to reach LV-426 in, what? Couple of weeks or so? Most of the Marines aboard it think poorly of Gorman not having nearly as much experience at "combat drops" as the rest of them. They're zipping around colonies to figure out what's happening with them on a regular basis.

Cryotubes are a hassle, I guess, but the practical business looks like people don't have much trouble with it. Even the Prometheus demonstrates we've discovered the miracle of artificial gravity.

When I said it's very difficult, I meant that it's unlike Star Wars or Star Trek where you just activate hyperspeed or warp drive and buzz through like it were nothing. I should've worded it a bit better.

In Alien, it's dangerous despite being a routine, it's still tricky. Remember when the Nostromo landed on LV-426 and caught fire out of nowhere? Sure it's a rust bucket, but it's still decades after Prometheus. The landing wasn't as smooth as it would be for the Millennium Falcon.

That's something I love about this franchise, it shows hazards such as fires catching etc.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Nov 16, 2015, 09:30:23 PM
I too would sort of like it if the movie was set far in the future, the year 3000 or something like that. That would give David a good long while to experiment with whatever he finds on the Engineer planet, becoming some sort of Elden-esque demi-god.

As far as Shaw, like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they went with "she didn't find answers on Paradise, so she went somewhere else that we'll get in the final movie."

You're not alone, that'd be quite interesting too.

SpeedyMaxx

For all we know they're keeping Shaw's role a secret.

They also really need to get rid of the dreadful, fanfic-y 'Alien' header IMO, that sounds tagged on by a studio determined to maximize the franchise box office. Just call it Covenant or something.

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2015, 09:57:40 PM
Quote from: oduodu on Nov 16, 2015, 09:49:27 PM

I'd prefer not to see anything like that in Covenant. Leave that kind of thing to Alien. I want these prequels to go more towards exploring the unknowns in space.
Maybe there'll be really dull business scenes akin to the senate scenes in Star Wars prequels ahahaahahaah!

szkoki

plot sound cheesy but im in because of Fassbender

Vrastal

Does anyone else not like the idea of the Aliens being created? i think the aliens being a natural creature far more terrifying

Shamo

I think its good to call it Alien- as it really gives the plot a push toward an actual Xenomorph thread being the main plot point. I love Prometheus, and how it explores the engineers. And I want that to continue in the next movie as well but, I desperately need a cinematic 3D Giger Style Alien rush in my life!

Also it makes it all more coherent. They should actually change the title of Prometheus to Alien: Prometheus.

Leaving the Alien out of title could result in potential movie goers to miss out in the film. I mean hey- I want this series to make millions, so they continue to make them. After they completely destroyed and butchered the Terminator franchise, there is not much left for me....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed