Godzilla
96 (74.4%)
King Kong
25 (19.4%)
I don't know?
8 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,497,705 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Naginata on Apr 11, 2021, 01:58:58 PM
EDGAR WRIGHT'S GORGO FTW

What do you think of these?  ;D

One paleo geek theorized that if Godzilla were a dinosaur (yup, like that Heisei era fictional theropod) it would be a ceratosaurian abelisuarid, probably related to Skorpiovenator and Ceratosaurus. The author of the video relates the Kaiju to this particular group of dinosaurs due to the plates, the short head and snout, and the 4-digit hands; all characteristic features of Abelisaurs. I know the plates resemble those of the Stegosaurus, but since Godzilla has the body posture of a theropod, the theory makes some sense.

Skorpiovenator

Ceratosaurus

And if you read the comments, there is also an interesting theory of Godzilla as a mutated amphibian archosaur, which were not dinosaurs, probably related to Postosuchus.

Although out fiction, Godzilla design is a chimera made up of different animals, mostly early and outdated dinosaur reconstructions: T.Rex, Stegosaurus, Iguanodon and Aligator.

Edit: Just found the source of the claims made in the video.

https://twitter.com/SmithsonianMag/status/249246818326679552

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The 1983 Steve Miner/Fred Dekker Godzilla movie that didn't happen would have had a more dinosaurian looking Godzilla in it.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 12, 2021, 02:09:52 AM
And if you read the comments, there is also an interesting theory of Godzilla as a mutated amphibian archosaur, which were not dinosaurs, probably related to Postosuchus.
I feel like I'm being pedantic, but Reptilia and Amphibia are distinct classes, so there neither are nor were amphibian archosaurs. Although, if Godzilla was a mutated Pseudosuchian archosaur, then he'd be very very distantly related to Rodan, since Rodan's a mutated pterosaur, an Avemetatarsalian archosaur.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 12, 2021, 03:06:25 AM
I feel like I'm being pedantic, but Reptilia and Amphibia are distinct classes, so there neither are nor were amphibian archosaurs. Although, if Godzilla was a mutated Pseudosuchian archosaur, then he'd be very very distantly related to Rodan, since Rodan's a mutated pterosaur, an Avemetatarsalian archosaur.

Oh amphibian habits I meant, like the ones that crocodiles have; or the hypothetical lifestyle of the Spinosaurus (yes I know, a dinosaur). That said, I think you are right about Rodan, if we follow this fan theory.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 12, 2021, 02:39:33 AM
The 1983 Steve Miner/Fred Dekker Godzilla movie that didn't happen would have had a more dinosaurian looking Godzilla in it.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/godzilla/images/1/18/King_of_the_Monsters_3D_-_6.jpg

Zilla! in the last ilustration. As I read there was even an animatronic for the movie.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 12, 2021, 03:24:41 AM

Oh amphibian habits I meant, like the ones that crocodiles have; or the hypothetical lifestyle of the Spinosaurus (yes I know, a dinosaur). That said, I think you are right about Rodan, if we follow this fan theory.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/godzilla/images/1/18/King_of_the_Monsters_3D_-_6.jpg

Zilla! in the last ilustration. As I read there was even an animatronic for the movie.

Yep

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 12, 2021, 04:16:44 AM

Yep

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/godzilla/images/2/2a/King_of_the_Monsters_3D_-_7.jpg

It really looks more like a dinosaur, especially on the head.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 12, 2021, 05:16:27 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 12, 2021, 04:16:44 AM

Yep

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/godzilla/images/2/2a/King_of_the_Monsters_3D_-_7.jpg

It really looks more like a dinosaur, especially on the head.
Kinda like Godzillasaurus

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I liked that movie ! With David Carradine right ? Yeah I remember he was a cop or some like that.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm sure Huggs would've been pissed

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 12, 2021, 12:31:20 PM

I'm sure Huggs would've been pissed

And then he would watch it six more times.

Kradan

Kradan

;D

ace3g

chrisr232007

Huggs

Huggs

Godzilla vs Kong has made $357.8 million so far, closing in on KOTM, which made $386.6 million.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 13, 2021, 03:41:38 AM
Godzilla vs Kong has made $357.8 million so far, closing in on KOTM, which made $386.6 million.

Pretty wild, given the pandemic and the fact that this is also available on streaming at the same time. Those are some serious numbers it is pulling in, given the circumstances.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed