TEASER TRAILER is here / Release Date is August 5

Started by skhellter, May 16, 2022, 01:17:21 PM

Author
TEASER TRAILER is here / Release Date is August 5 (Read 23,154 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on May 29, 2022, 11:11:35 PMIt was a pistol duel

Ah, cool, we got a much different cut stateside where Dutch actually defeated the Predator. ;D

Kradan

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Doomofman on May 29, 2022, 08:13:46 PM
Quote from: Kradan on May 29, 2022, 07:55:50 PMPredator was literally defeated by a log. A log
And really, the actual implement doesn't matter. The main predator in the first 3 movies (I'm ignoring The Predator because f**k that movie) was defeated by the main characters intelligence and I always thought that was kind of the point

I think it was more than just the intelligence - Dutch had pure luck on his side, Jungle Hunter saw the trap and side-stepped it, but still ended up in the right spot. Harrigan had City Hunter's arrogance in leaving himself open like that. Royce had a bit of team work in place too, with Isabelle.

It's a big part of how the Predators get defeated, but it does always come down to the back-to-basics approach which is why I've always felt a historical setting would be ideal. It's not like the actual things that defeated the Predator are future warefare.

BigDaddyJohn

I guess it's a mix of things coming from the protagonists. Resilience, ruse, and of course luck.

Dutch is pretty lucky with the log at the end, and is very lucky when discovering that mud does him a big favor against jungle hunter.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, there is usually always some luck involved in these movies where the protagonist is so unevenly matched with an antagonist. You still don't say luck defeated the villian. You say the protagonist defeated the villian. Dutch had the resourcefulness and was quick-thinking enough that even when things were bleak, to use the load of the pulley system against the Predator to win. The log did not fall by accident. Never stop fighting until the fight is over.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Yautja888 on May 29, 2022, 07:41:11 PMThe spear and the arrow Dutch used had explosives attached to it, hence how the predator was wounded and his cloacking device damaged.So I don't get your point.

You know what else damages a cloaking device? Water. Do we think Native Americans had water?

As for the Predator itself, neither explosive weapon seemed to do much damage beyond annoying it. They certainly didn't slow it down any.

As others have pointed out, Arnie ultimately finished it off with a piece of wood.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2022, 02:00:17 PM
Quote from: Yautja888 on May 29, 2022, 07:41:11 PMThe spear and the arrow Dutch used had explosives attached to it, hence how the predator was wounded and his cloacking device damaged.So I don't get your point.

You know what else damages a cloaking device? Water. Do we think Native Americans had water?

BigDaddyJohn

I never agreed to the argument (that I heard here and there) saying Comanches wouldn't be worthy adversaries for a predator in the first place.

It all depends on execution as always, a predator being defeated in a credible manner by a comanche young woman is totally plausible. There are a lot of ways for that to happen.

Ruse, resilience, knowledge of the terrain, and a good dose of luck among things.

Prez

I generally don't understand the negativity towards the idea that (a smaller) underdog can defeat the big bad. It's a well versed story telling trope (David vs Goliath). Isn't that the premise for most films though. Winning against all the odds with everything against the protagonist?

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 30, 2022, 05:44:31 PMI never agreed to the argument (that I heard here and there) saying Comanches wouldn't be worthy adversaries for a predator in the first place.

It all depends on execution as always, a predator being defeated in a credible manner by a comanche young woman is totally plausible. There are a lot of ways for that to happen.

Ruse, resilience, knowledge of the terrain, and a good dose of luck among things.

Hell you can apply this to anything in the past really. What can a samurai do to a Predator that not only outclasses them physically but also technologically? Katana steel isn't that strong and would perhaps shatter in combat against alien alloy steel that the wristblades or its armor are made from, and despite being masters of the bow, nothing compared to a plasmacaster. Spartan brawn and bronze metal will still stand no chance for the same reasons, Zulu warriors, Knights Templar, or 19th century French Foreign Legion, all of them fall into the same argument when you think about it overall. But most people don't think that, and we all know why, hence why else would they point out the fact that the protag is a woman so much?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 30, 2022, 12:28:12 PMYeah, there is usually always some luck involved in these movies where the protagonist is so unevenly matched with an antagonist. You still don't say luck defeated the villian. You say the protagonist defeated the villian. Dutch had the resourcefulness and was quick-thinking enough that even when things were bleak, to use the load of the pulley system against the Predator to win. The log did not fall by accident. Never stop fighting until the fight is over.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2022, 02:00:17 PM

As for the Predator itself, neither explosive weapon seemed to do much damage beyond annoying it. They certainly didn't slow it down any.

As others have pointed out, Arnie ultimately finished it off with a piece of wood.

I would never say luck killed the Jungle Hunter, but it was far more a factor than in any of the other films. Dutch lays his traps, tries to funnel the Predator a specific way, the Predator notices and goes around, and still ends up in the exact same place Dutch wanted him to be anyway. Had the film shown Dutch intending for that to happen, I'd say it was less of a factor.

And sure, Dutch still needed to be aware of the positioning and everything but it doesn't change the convivence of it. I think I'm always going to consider that luck played a far larger role there than the other films (and even the Alien films).

But it's all more to the point that there's many different factors that contribute towards the Predators defeat in the first three films, with a lot of it coming down to simply being a very back-to-basics approach. And I don't think anyone here is arguing against that? I think that's generally other areas of the interwebz.

HuDaFuK

I think the thing a lot of the "Native Americans couldn't beat a Predator!" crowd are overlooking is the fact that the Predator in the first film could've annihilated Arnie's entire team in a couple of minutes if it had wanted to. It chose not to.

Sure, a Predator could make mincemeat of a tribe of Comanches without breaking a sweat. But where's the challenge or fun in that?

BigDaddyJohn

Exactly. Pride and arrogance are also a big thing with predators , all the time participating in their downfall.

SiL

Predators aren't interested in killing. They're interested in hunting. Which involves killing, but it'a process.

Master Chief

Quote from: SiL on May 31, 2022, 11:41:04 AMPredators aren't interested in killing. They're interested in hunting. Which involves killing, but it'a process.
*City Hunter has entered the chat*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed