Is BLACKOUT worth buying?

Started by Roby, Jan 29, 2019, 12:30:38 AM

Do you think BLACKOUT is worth buying?

YES (It's great!)
10 (58.8%)
NO (It's a waste of $)
2 (11.8%)
SURE (Worth buying, if only to feed curiosity)
4 (23.5%)
MAYBE (While it's not great, anything ALIEN is worth buying)
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019, 12:30:38 AM

Author
Is BLACKOUT worth buying? (Read 6,201 times)

Roby

Roby

Trying to gauge from people who have played whether buying ALIEN: BLACKOUT is worth it?
Thanks  :D

426Buddy

426Buddy

Ive never played fnaf but I think Blackout is good fun and its worth the price. There is no tutorial but you get the hang of it after a few minutes of messing around and it can actually be pretty intense for a mobil game.

Roby

Roby

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 29, 2019, 01:49:30 AM
Ive never played fnaf but I think Blackout is good fun and its worth the price. There is no tutorial but you get the hang of it after a few minutes of messing around and it can actually be pretty intense for a mobil game.

It looks good but I wanted to hear from a few people before buying, so this is good to hear thanks!

Hudson

Hudson

Played the first level. Not sure yet.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, like Isolation, I think it's going to depend on you. I do think it shares a lot of Isolation's sensibilities. It's hard but I find rewarding when you complete levels. It's a little on the short side, though.

SM

SM

$5 is hardly going to break most people's bank accounts.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Have you gotten around to giving it a go?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

■ YES (It's great!)

I wouldn't say it's great, but it is good, and definitely worth the $4.99

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Jan 29, 2019, 10:20:31 AM
$5 is hardly going to break most people's bank accounts.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the actual game instead of your thoughts about other fans.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Snipped. Come-on folk, stop raising my blood pressure. Let's stay on topic and not try and incite things.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2019, 02:57:35 PM
Snipped. Come-on folk, stop giving raising my blood pressure. Let's stay on topic and not try and incite things.

The humorous Spaceballs schwartz gif was actually intended to insert levity, and subsequently diffuse, not incite.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I appreciate that but regardless, there's no need either way. It just serves to steer off topic. Also, if people have any issues with anything I (or the other staff) do, please message us directly and not respond on the board serving to also steer us off topic.

Hudson

Hudson

For what it's worth, I don't want to incite anything. I'd really like to hear SM's opinion of Alien Blackout. SiL, as well. Whenever they're ready to spend $5.

(also, why does voting on this poll close in less than a month)

EDIT:

I'm going to say "sure" overall. At this point, I'd say it's fine or whatever. I think I'm on level 4 or 5. I've never bought a premium mobile game, because my phone is for phone things. In terms of that, it's pretty annoying to be playing this and either have to go into airplane mode to block out the rest of your life, or put up with push notifications popping up over the gameplay. Every. Single. Review. is comparing this to Five Nights At Freddy's, which I've never heard of other than in comparisons to Alien Blackout. So that all means nothing to me.

When I finish the game I'll post more of a 'review,' but my first impressions are: Appealing to the visual and auditory senses via good art direction, musical score, and sound. Gameplay wise, it feels frustrating in a very cheap way, as opposed to challenging which is how I would describe Isolation. Touch screen is also not fun and there's nothing ergonomic about clutching an iPhone 8 for an extended amount of time.

One MAJOR complaint I have is that the majority of time is spent looking at a map with dots moving around slowly, so even though the game's design is good, you spend a minimal amount of time actually looking at it. It doesn't take an Alien game to accomplish that, so the gameplay doesn't feel at all unique to this franchise. The cameras you can see through are sparse, you can't control their movements. You barely ever see the characters or the Alien. Plenty of the objective locations are 'off camera,' so while your crew is accomplishing some objective you're just staring at a dot with a yellow progress meter filling below it.

Also, for being a mobile game, you can't really play it on the go. There are nowhere near enough visual cues. You need sound, so if you don't have headphones, you're either going to piss everyone off around you by being rude, frankly, or you'll play it on mute and just get killed by the Alien in the vents a bunch of times because you need to hear the audio cue to know it's there.

Is it worth buying? I don't know. Is a $5 beer worth buying? You drink it, it tastes good, you might feel a little buzz, you piss it out, and then you're empty. So far, the worth of this game is mimicking that experience for me.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 29, 2019, 03:41:42 PM
For what it's worth, I don't want to incite anything. I'd really like to hear SM's opinion of Alien Blackout. SiL, as well. Whenever they're ready to spend $5.
I bought it two days ago, but haven't had time to play it yet.

And it was $8 thanks to the exchange rate ;D

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 29, 2019, 03:41:42 PM

(also, why does voting on this poll close in less than a month)

EDIT:

I'm going to say "sure" overall. At this point, I'd say it's fine or whatever. I think I'm on level 4 or 5. I've never bought a premium mobile game, because my phone is for phone things. In terms of that, it's pretty annoying to be playing this and either have to go into airplane mode to block out the rest of your life, or put up with push notifications popping up over the gameplay. Every. Single. Review. is comparing this to Five Nights At Freddy's, which I've never heard of other than in comparisons to Alien Blackout. So that all means nothing to me.

When I finish the game I'll post more of a 'review,' but my first impressions are: Appealing to the visual and auditory senses via good art direction, musical score, and sound. Gameplay wise, it feels frustrating in a very cheap way, as opposed to challenging which is how I would describe Isolation. Touch screen is also not fun and there's nothing ergonomic about clutching an iPhone 8 for an extended amount of time.

One MAJOR complaint I have is that the majority of time is spent looking at a map with dots moving around slowly, so even though the game's design is good, you spend a minimal amount of time actually looking at it. It doesn't take an Alien game to accomplish that, so the gameplay doesn't feel at all unique to this franchise. The cameras you can see through are sparse, you can't control their movements. You barely ever see the characters or the Alien. Plenty of the objective locations are 'off camera,' so while your crew is accomplishing some objective you're just staring at a dot with a yellow progress meter filling below it.

Also, for being a mobile game, you can't really play it on the go. There are nowhere near enough visual cues. You need sound, so if you don't have headphones, you're either going to piss everyone off around you by being rude, frankly, or you'll play it on mute and just get killed by the Alien in the vents a bunch of times because you need to hear the audio cue to know it's there.

Is it worth buying? I don't know. Is a $5 beer worth buying? You drink it, it tastes good, you might feel a little buzz, you piss it out, and then you're empty. So far, the worth of this game is mimicking that experience for me.

A very fair analysis. Especially the criticism of time spent looking at dots on the map as a necessity, versus viewing the cameras where are all the good graphics happen to be coded to. That definitely rings true for me.

Now where I must object is with the beer. Every $5 beer is worth it. Especially when it's in a beer hat

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed