Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,464 times)

Valaquen

I don't understand folk throwing their hats in the air over the news. If you thought Blomkamp's film was going to be bad, then you probably shouldn't fork out your money for it. Fans are not hostages to franchises (though some are happy to make themselves so) and don't have to see or own every film, book, merchandise.

Personally I'm at the stage where I really don't care what they release, Scott's prequel series or a sequel series. Neither will be like ALIEN or ALIENS in terms of quality. I don't see the point in getting emotional about it. I'm not sure how some people can tell others to accept the third film when they cannot abide those same people having a preferred sequel of their own to turn to.

Also kind of tired of Ridley being called the creator of the series. He's not really a sci-fi guy: O'Bannon, Cobb, Shusett all were. They knew Lovecraft. Scott invokes von Daniken. Moebius called him "an enlightened amateur". I think I agree wth that.

BringbackJonesy!

@ Valaquen - Indeed.  I'll keep the 'Lovecraft'-ian vibe of ALIEN/ALIENS seperate from the 'von Daniken'-ish storyline of the PROMETHEUS, thank you very much. 

Rankles75

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 04, 2017, 11:30:13 AM
I don't understand folk throwing their hats in the air over the news. If you thought Blomkamp's film was going to be bad, then you probably shouldn't fork out your money for it. Fans are not hostages to franchises (though some are happy to make themselves so) and don't have to see or own every film, book, merchandise.

Personally I'm at the stage where I really don't care what they release, Scott's prequel series or a sequel series. Neither will be like ALIEN or ALIENS in terms of quality. I don't see the point in getting emotional about it. I'm not sure how some people can tell others to accept the third film when they cannot abide those same people having a preferred sequel of their own to turn to.

Also kind of tired of Ridley being called the creator of the series. He's not really a sci-fi guy: O'Bannon, Cobb, Shusett all were. They knew Lovecraft. Scott invokes von Daniken. Moebius called him "an enlightened amateur". I think I agree wth that.

So many nails hit on the head...  :)

Agent

Agent

@newagescamartist

Pretty predictable answer btw. Expected.

You took the easy route, conveniently missing and not commenting on the stuff which are more crucial/important and instead based your whole post on mine being an "opinion".

Yeah, you can certainly enjoy Ridley's films, but to objectively say that they're good movies (especially Covenant, Prometheus can take a pass) is being ridiculous.

Ridley is talking out of his ass to put it bluntly and he wasn't interested in making an Alien movie "recently" at all. From the latter  alone (and Covenant)  you can infer how much passion he had/has and where it is set.

If it was titled Prometheus, we weren't even going to have this conversation cause I wouldn't care that much about the wasted potential of the franchise. It would still be a mediocre movie at best, regardless though. If it wasn't called Alien I could wave a my hand at it being alternative-prequel stuff (with Alien elements) that was the idea all along.

The retcon of the space jockey being a tall albino human (and making the entire premise human-centric) was bad enough considering what Alien and Aliens were about and what made them great, although, ALTHOUGH, the idea itself and what it was based on was interesting/good and it had potential and something going for it.

We got to see so much of it in Covenant, yeah.

Still that wasn't the original idea of the space jockey and of Alien for that matter. The space jockey is that thing sitting with its chest open, fused to the chair in some freakish Lovecraftian way and the ship itself, remnant of one big old unknown universe which the human race has no understanding of (which makes it scarier) and is better off not tinkering with.

What David (Ridley) did with it? He tinkered with it in the most uninspired/logic deficient way.

With these 2 films, it's getting  painfully clear that Alien is/was a masterpiece cause of the collaboration and effort of the amazing team behind it. Not just R. Scott.

Russ

Thanks for this post - sometimes the "we won, you lost" mentality can be a bit mean-spirited, I think. An all out "Alien" movie would have been welcome (you know, not with "the DNA" and all that stuff. Whatever you say about NBs ideas, clearly he wasn't mired in retro-universe building that the new trilogy is getting weighed down with.

They were just going to make the sequel that a great many wanted to see. It's a real shame, I was totally on board with it - though, like many others, shared the concern that NBs ability may not have matched his vision.

I guess we'll never know!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Well I'm throwing my hat in the air. I would be happy if Blomkamp made an alien film, but i just have no interest in any new film that officially retcons half of the franchise and brings back dead characters for no reason. I know thats what a lot of people want and this news in unfortunate for them. That said, i cant help it if this news makes me happy though.

Richman678

Maybe they should let Blomkamp direct the third Prometheus movie

Rockybear

ridley hater

ridley hater

Fuc*ing ridley scott who makes crap nonsensical garbage nowadays...ALIEN 5 would by far be far more relevant and logical and interesting than the utter garbage of prometheus and covenant , both which look like clueless filmmaking by hack writers and bloated ego director way past his prime...

Adorianu

426Buddy But you ok with Ridley shitting on lore and his retcon? LMAO

PierreVW

I disagree 100%.

A man(Sir Ridley Scott) with 40 years of success in movies ISN'T and amateur.

And BEFORE 1977, that man(Sir Ridley Scott) was the most successful in Ads and commercials.

Gash

Good news. The concept was nothing to get excited about.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Adorianu on Jun 04, 2017, 05:25:45 PM
426Buddy But you ok with Ridley shitting on lore and his retcon? LMAO

I wasnt terribly happy with davids hand in creating the xeno, but that can still change depending on what happens in the sequel. But otherwise i didnt see anything particularily heinous about it. So yeah i enjoyed AC a lot, gave it a 7.5/10.

AC doesnt invalidate half the series and resurrect dead characters that should stay dead. I would have loved an Alien 5 but we werent getting that anyway, we were getting alien 3.2.

But you don't have to agree and by your "LMAO" comment i dont even expect you to be civil about it.

SM

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 04, 2017, 06:11:15 PM

I disagree 100%.

A man(Sir Ridley Scott) with 40 years of success in movies ISN'T and amateur.

And BEFORE 1977, that man(Sir Ridley Scott) was the most successful in Ads and commercials.

You're taking "enlightened amateur" out of context.

BootyBee

BootyBee

Turn Alien 5 into a videogame for next generation consoles, Weaver and Blehn can at least be voice actors and mo-capped. Hell, do FMV cutscenes and have them star in them!   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed