The Alien Vs. Predator Games Are WAY Better Than The Movies

Started by OpenMaw, Oct 02, 2022, 05:28:07 PM

Author
The Alien Vs. Predator Games Are WAY Better Than The Movies (Read 8,127 times)

OpenMaw

Kradan

Kradan

I mean, yeah, doubt anybody would dispute such a statement

Russ840

For me, the 4 1st person shooter AvP's are the gold standard for AvP. Wish we could get all 4 release on modern platforms and a new game.

PsyKore

AvP2 really should have been adapted into a film. It probably still could be. But they cheap out all the time and can't make a film in the future where it's supposed to be. ::)

ralfy

Reminds me of the movie version of Doom.

Kimarhi

AvP had the right idea with the balancing mechanic.  Humans had rapid fire technology that could destroy anybody in the open.  Predators had more powerful technology, and were hearty.  Aliens were usain bolt on crack cocaine but could get cooked out in the open.  You had to recognize this as the player to succeed as each species.  It also was the most tense experience just because the game was harder than the rest.  Literally all of the species could destroy you if you were playing in a hurry or sloppy. 

I like AvP2 the best of all of them because of the SP immersion and because of the world building.  Sometimes I just wish it had been released in 2005 like FEAR was with FEARs AI.  Shit would've been awesome.  Being the predator fighting Marine or corporate AI who flanks you, or presses you into something you didn't want to do.  Aliens that stalk you like the ninjas did in FEAR.  Being the Alien and using something like the slowmo mechanic to get your chop on.   

AvP3 I think was the worse of the bunch.  Good graphics, and absolutely aces portrayal of Marines.  They really act like warrior cultist, but weak everywhere else. 

BlueMarsalis79

[cancerblack]

Pulse rifles firing lefty always look so weird to me. Something about the angles in the design goes wrong when you flip it.

Incidentally, this bogan c**t is one of the only youtubers I've watched multiple videos from.

Local Trouble

My last bowel movement was better than the AvP movies.

Spoiler
And I'm constipated. :-[
[close]

Corporal Hicks

He's on the mark with the level design criticism of the Jag. I do find it very hard to play because of that.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I ran into AvP Capcom at a mall arcade when I was a lil kid and f*cking loved it. That game is still top tier in my book. I always prayed that it would be ported to the SNES.

I had the AvP Gameboy game, tried to love it for a long time but just not good.

I really loved AvP PC back in the day, it's hard to overstate how crazy I was about it. However AvP2 was a big let down for me at the time. That game just didn't click with me in a lot of ways and the PH expansion I didn't even bother to finish. These days I do appreciate the game more and have returned to it a few times over the years.

I never played the jaguar version at the time. I had always wanted to but never had the chance until a few years ago when I played the ROM. I actually still dig it even with all its shortcomings. Also the ROM version is dire, so many issues.

I enjoyed AvP on the 360, but it need far more development time. Also the melee was painful and having the kill scenes in multi-player pretty much killed it.

Never played the AvP RTS on consoles, though I have heard good things.

I feel blessed growing up when games were really coming into their own. The late 80s and 90's were magic for video gamers.

xenotaris

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 15, 2023, 10:35:22 AMI really loved AvP PC back in the day, it's hard to overstate how crazy I was about it. However AvP2 was a big let down for me at the time. That game just didn't click with me in a lot of ways and the PH expansion I didn't even bother to finish. These days I do appreciate the game more and have returned to it a few times over the years.

Wait the only AVP that allows you to be a facehugger and a chestburster was a let down?

[cancerblack]

Some people just don't vibe with the aesthetics.

Others couldn't reconcile it with how fast things were in AVP99.

I disagree with both takes personally, I like that it feels like a dark horse comic and find 99 to be so fast it ruins my suspension of disbelief, but there we are.

426Buddy

Yeah I just didn't like the art design, character animations, or the Lithtech engine. At the time the game was a system hog when other games looked better and ran smoother. My family only had a mid range PC so the game did not run smoothly for me. Also the game was heavily scripted which hurt replayability.  I was definitely in the minority in my opinion and many people loved it.  I had dial up internet too so the MP barely playable.

Like I said though, I have returned to it several times over the years and gained a real appreciation for it. I was overly hard on it when it was released. Having an actual story is a big plus though.

Also while the facehugger/buster portion was pretty cool, at the time I thought it was a bit gimmicky game play wise.

I love the first game but yeah the super speed running around is ridiculous.

BlueMarsalis79

I also do not like the art style, and for everything that it got right, the simplistic and predictable artificial intelligence brings the experience down.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed