Recent posts

Quote from: St_Eddie on Yesterday at 11:35:09 PMExactly. It's Hollywood excess, bullshit spectacle and flies in the face of what the first film was all about. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that the Romans flooded their arenas and used sharks during gladiatorial battles. That particular suggested history comes from Hawaii's historical gladiatorial battles.

It's all just a case of sequelitis; "There were animals in the first film... tigers, so we better go BIGGER for the sequel." Bullshit.  I'm hating everything about this movie, from concept to regurgitated plot and 'member berries.  As though it weren't enough for Ridley Scott to sully his work on Alien with the prequels, now he's gonna sully Gladiator too.  Just... f**k off.  Sick of it.

The Colosseum being flooded for ship to ship battles is historical fact. They later modified the floor of the arena by adding underground tunnels and lifts and such as we see in the original film and that prevented the ability to flood it after that.

Naumachias were mostly held in specially built basins designed for the purpose. Almost like the Circus Maximus but built for ships rather than chariots.

I've never seen any mention of sharks being put into the water so that likely is a bit of a dodgy fabrication. But I suspect if the Romans could have done it they probably would have.

Rhinos and crocodiles were used in the Colosseum, but I doubt it's possible to ride a rhinoceros as described in the footage shown.

But at the end of the day, the film is just entertainment, not a historical documentary.
Recreational Area / Re: The Alien Dialogue Thread ...
Last post by Slutty Badger - Today at 01:13:36 PM
They can bill me.
Last post by TheDerelict - Today at 01:05:15 PM
An outbreak of cholera would look extremely bad on a report, would it not sir.
Recreational Area / Re: What are you listening to ...
Last post by HuDaFuK - Today at 12:55:53 PM

More 80s than 80s.
Alien: Romulus / Re: [Spoilers] Alien: Romulus ...
Last post by Corporal Hicks - Today at 12:36:09 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Today at 07:46:09 AMWhat is?

The video/post I quoted from a different thread.
Predator Films / Re: Dan Trachtenberg To Direct...
Last post by RoguePred1987 - Today at 11:28:29 AM
maybe a similar pattern to Prey and Alien: Romulus. first the lead then groups of casting production ramps up?
Alien: Romulus / Re: Alien: Romulus Catch-All T...
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 11:15:20 AM
Hoping it is a reverse Billy Idol situation. 

Spoiler
A face without eyes.

[close]
Last post by TheBATMAN - Today at 10:55:09 AM
Son, I gave you my authorisation code. It's E A T M E.
Last post by Slutty Badger - Today at 10:45:57 AM
There's no way to detect spontaneous stellar flares until it's too late.
Last post by TheDerelict - Today at 10:42:49 AM
It was random localised event.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed