Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 71,053 times)

Voodoo Magic

One additional podcast thought:

While I would love it to happen, there is just no way in my eyes Marvel waiting a year or more to do an Alien and Predator crossover within the Marvel universe. Like Conan of the Hyborian Age which is harder to infuse, I believe it will only take a few months, if not at launch, to crossover something Marvel with Alien and Predator unfortunately.

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 22, 2020, 04:40:49 AM
i'm going to step in here and say that i'm also not a fan of dots; sorry, voodoo!

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 22, 2020, 11:28:02 AM
@Voodoo ya I agree that the Predator side of things doesn%u2019t really need to be rebooted as the majority of stories are stand alone and really have no affect on one another. I%u2019d actually be pretty bummed if they went the reboot route with Predator.

Are you talking film? If so, I 100% agree, there is absolutely no need to reboot the Predator canon. The films are pretty much self contained, independent events. Each sequel has a sprinkling of brief references, but they are in no way required viewing like say each Alien film before it.

But in the first two completed volumes of the Predator Hunters comics, there are reoccurring characters from past series, but it's not essential knowledge. It's like Sean Keyes in The Predator. Predator 2 fans geek out because that's Peter Keyes' son, in fiction and in real life, but if you don't know that factoid watching The Predator, there is still no feeling of missing information. It's not essential to the plot. It's not essential in the way its presented. That's the way I'd like Marvel to handle the Predator comic lore. I believe it could even work for Alien too. :)

Xiggz456

I'm talking the EU and I said the majority of stories are self contained not all. But even with "Hunters" there was still flashbacks to catch new readers up with the seasoned characters. So ya I'm hoping that it's just more new stories as opposed to them making some kind of decree that it's a full on EU reboot.

I also believe that there'll be a Marvel crossover within the first year but I think of it as a promotional tool to get more Marvel fans interested in the new A/P/AVP series.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 22, 2020, 01:06:58 PM
I'm talking the EU and I said the majority of stories are self contained not all. But even with "Hunters" there was still flashbacks to catch new readers up with the seasoned characters. So ya I'm hoping that it's just more new stories as opposed to them making some kind of decree that it's a full on EU reboot.

It's all how it's handled right? We get flashbacks of Mandy Graves history, and no new reader can tell if her story was depicted in in a previous comic or not. You can take her entirely as a brand new character that once encountered a Predator, or a previously used character that is reoccurring. It all comes down to presentation and loose connecting threads. That's the way I'd like to see it moving forward. Inviting to new readers, yet still loosely loyal to what came before it. :)

Xiggz456

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 22, 2020, 01:24:02 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 22, 2020, 01:06:58 PM

It's all how it's handled right? We get flashbacks of Mandy Graves history, and no new reader can tell if her story was depicted in in a previous comic or not. You can take her entirely as a brand new character that once encountered a Predator, or a previously used character that is reoccurring. It all comes down to presentation and loose connecting threads. That's the way I'd like to see it moving forward. Inviting to new readers, yet still loosely loyal to what came before it. :)

Exactly! Well said sir.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Something I'd like to see done is stories done with surviving film Predators or flashbacks with older ones. What was the Assassin like pre-augmentation, was it only just Jungle Hunter in Val Verde or did he bring anyone or anything with him (we know the locals knew of him), what did the blood feud between the Jungle and Super Predators look like, did anybody ever try to reclaim Wolf's pistol?

I'd love to see the writers follow up on things like that. And there'd be an audience for adventures with the Lost Hunters be it before or after City Hunter's death though one I'd find cool would be showing at least part of City Hunter's funeral. That's something that would be real cool for world building since we've only seen so much of that. For a species kind of obsessed with killing it'd be interesting to see what they do outside of nuking a body.

Edit:
Due to Marvel having a What If? line of books, what if Marvel did something like that for the Predator comics? Like if Jungle Hunter succeeded in killing Dutch then the OWLF has even less to work off of perhaps leading to an alternate Predator 2? The OWLF doesn't really know where to look and City Hunter just had the run of the place perhaps meaning he survives and potentially never killing Peter Keyes. Or what if Harrigan doesn't quite kill City Hunter and they rematch years later this time with cybernetic upgrades (replacement hand) and Harrigan has to out-think him since it's not like he can get lucky fighting him twice and he's much older.

chopperXgill

You know all this talk actually has me pretty hyped to see what marvel will do. Looking forward to adding some new issue #1 predator & alien comic books next year. Knowing marvel they will have a ton of alternate cross over covers. Might have to collect them all

Covenant81

In the wake of the Marvel announcment I ordered mostly all available comic books in physical form i can get via Amazon. Today my delivery arrived and a few hours later i regognized a Kindle/Comixology sale on EVERY available Aliens, Predator and AvP comics. Damn it. But honestly i consider not to return the physical books to Amazon instead of the Predator Essentials Vol.1 because you don't know how the availability via Amazon/Kindle will be when the licence change is done. For nearly the price of the Essentials Vol.1 I bought the Predator and AvP Omnibusses because i haven't read most of them (mostly Predator, I'm more into Alien). But when Marvel will re-release the Omnibusses or something equal to them i will buy them in physical form. Just because...

These are my thoughts. Just wanted to share them.

Tichinde

I really hope they don't full reboot but you might get your wish. Disney annihilated the star wars EU they might do the same for AVP  :-[ :'(

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Tichinde on Jul 22, 2020, 08:14:00 PM
I really hope they don't full reboot but you might get your wish. Disney annihilated the star wars EU they might do the same for AVP  :-[ :'(

To calm some fears, Disney did that so that way they could do the Sequel trilogy without trying to navigate the former EU. It's probably going to get a reboot on Alien's end but I don't see Predator changing all that much if we aren't already in the midst of it.

On the Predator side of things it seems it's going from Hunting Grounds onward. So from that it's the solo films and (presumably) the crossovers are left intact as well as the lore from Hunting Grounds and Stalking Shadows. Neca backstories as far as I'm aware are still canonical so for the time being the Predators still encountered them.

lightsyder

Quote from: Covenant81 on Jul 22, 2020, 06:35:09 PM
In the wake of the Marvel announcment I ordered mostly all available comic books in physical form i can get via Amazon. Today my delivery arrived and a few hours later i regognized a Kindle/Comixology sale on EVERY available Aliens, Predator and AvP comics. Damn it. But honestly i consider not to return the physical books to Amazon instead of the Predator Essentials Vol.1 because you don't know how the availability via Amazon/Kindle will be when the licence change is done. For nearly the price of the Essentials Vol.1 I bought the Predator and AvP Omnibusses because i haven't read most of them (mostly Predator, I'm more into Alien). But when Marvel will re-release the Omnibusses or something equal to them i will buy them in physical form. Just because...

These are my thoughts. Just wanted to share them.

I asked comixology's support how the license change would affect items already bought.  They said they will stay in your library even if they are no longer for sale.

Nightmare Asylum

To be fair, annihilating the Alien EU happens every few years anyways.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 22, 2020, 10:14:17 PM
To be fair, annihilating the Alien EU happens every few years anyways.

Exactly.  I don't really see what the big deal is. 

SM

Yeah every new film mucks with it to varying degrees.  It can be shame to 'lose' some stories and characters - but I think we're pretty used to it by now.

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 22, 2020, 12:40:00 AM
And finally, RidgeTop, my AvP Requiem brother

:D

Haha, so true

Xiggz456

I'm fully expecting the Alien side of things to be rebooted but I think it's 50/50 regarding the Predator side.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed