Will we get an extended cut on Blu Ray?

Started by BonesawT101, May 22, 2017, 06:38:13 PM

Author
Will we get an extended cut on Blu Ray? (Read 29,223 times)

CainsSon

Quote from: dave1978 on May 28, 2017, 07:12:22 PM
Im so sick of hearing that they have to get to 2 hours dead on,  WHY?  i would be happy to sit through 3 hours of an Alien movie

The next one needs to be 2.5 hours at least. ALIEN worked at 2 hrs because of how minimal the plot was. It was able to take its time. Today ALIEN would be 1.5 hours maximum, because modern audiences complained that COVENANT was too f'in slow.

But that's just one thing. The real reason this film CANNOT BE more than 2 hours is because it R-RATED and has a 100 million dollar budget. I dont think most audiences realize how UNHEARD OF that is. This is the only R-RATED major franchise that commands a budget anyway near that.

It needs to be 2 hours to earn its money back or, like RIDLEY SCOTT says "There wont be a sequel." If it plays 8 x a day at 2 hours, it would only play 6 x a day at 2 hours and 20 min.

This is why the movie feels rushed. FOX would be wise to invest the money in the franchise's shelf life and not worry about the next film making back its money so much as they worry about getting it right.

One more ALIEN Prequel at a 2 hours and 40 min length, would be great. But the only way thats gonna happen is if SCOTT heads towards PG13.

I hope fans start weighing their bitching and moaning against whether they want another film to happen.

Protozoid

I would like to see the uncut Covenant on home video, but I doubt it will be a substantial increase in quality.  My issues with the movie have to do with the broad strokes of the story more than anything else.

However, they certainly have the footage they need to improve Prometheus and make it a proper masterpiece.  If Scott wants to preserve the mystery, cool, but he could at least restore character scenes and give us a more rounded, heroic Shaw.  If audiences connected a little more to the characters, the third act would work much better.  Principally they just need to restore Janek's drunken monologue.  The movie needs his character's decisions to work, and for that to happen, that scene needs to be restored.  You can do the same with Milburn, having another scene of him being curious about life forms.  His later behavior is easier to understand.  These character beats also further reinforce the "humans are victims of their programming" theme.

AlienFanIL17

AlienFanIL17

I would love to see an extended cut of Covenant.  I usually like the extended cuts of the movies I get on Blu-ray more than the cinema version because of the added detail.  I do like the extended cuts of the Alien movies on Blu-ray compared to the cinema versions, especially the extended cut for Aliens. 

As much as I loved Covenant, even I felt the third act felt rushed.  I understand the economic pressure from the studio to get the movie to about 2 hours.  However, it then falls to the director and writers, I feel, to craft a story that won't feel rushed in that 2 hours. 

A lot of people have complained that outside of Tennessee, Daniels, and Oram, they didn't really get too invested in the other crew members.  I've been thinking about that ever since seeing Covenant.  I realize that the original Alien was a fairly simple affair, especially when compared to the scope of the other movies.  However, the crew of the Nostromo was only 7.  Covenant's crew was I think 15, including the original captain and we all know how that turned out.  Prometheus was basically the same thing, people all over the place.  I know this wouldn't solve all of the problems that people have stated they have with Covenant.  However, less people means less time needed to give everyone screen time, which hopefully means a tighter story and much better pacing.

CainsSon

Quote from: Protozoid on May 29, 2017, 01:55:13 AM
I would like to see the uncut Covenant on home video, but I doubt it will be a substantial increase in quality.  My issues with the movie have to do with the broad strokes of the story more than anything else.

However, they certainly have the footage they need to improve Prometheus and make it a proper masterpiece.  If Scott wants to preserve the mystery, cool, but he could at least restore character scenes and give us a more rounded, heroic Shaw.  If audiences connected a little more to the characters, the third act would work much better.  Principally they just need to restore Janek's drunken monologue.  The movie needs his character's decisions to work, and for that to happen, that scene needs to be restored.  You can do the same with Milburn, having another scene of him being curious about life forms.  His later behavior is easier to understand.  These character beats also further reinforce the "humans are victims of their programming" theme.

Scott should make extended cuts of BOTH prequels ASAP.

dinosauriac

dinosauriac

Although it seems like Ridley might have more self respect and class than Robert Rodriguez and his ilk, I do wonder if they did the same crap with the Covenant trailers that pissed me off with the Predators trailers. Shooting pieces specifically for advertising purposes that were never in the script, never intended to go in the movie, but look good and show something cool to get people interested. In my book, it's the height of false advertising as far as movies are concerned, and both Prometheus and Covenant were woefully missold. 

Dan2004

Wouldn't mind seeing the alleged Xeno/Neo scene which sheds light on what happened to the second Neo. Almost insulting they left the second Neo unexplained. Rookies. Fans are too smart for this cute editing.

dallevalle

here is my advice to you Ridley dont listen to people you are the film maker here you know a hell of alot more than they do
so do the movies the way you want. dont listen to stupid people you screened it for.

MrRipley

MrRipley

Fox were over confident in the film moved it from August and watched it get crushed.

Lame film

We. Want a refund

Gash

Quote from: MrRipley on May 29, 2017, 11:00:23 AM

We. Want a refund

Tough titty. You. Won't get one.

BonesawT101

Quote from: Gash on May 29, 2017, 12:45:19 PM

We. Want a refund

Genuinely laughed out loud  :D ;D

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: BonesawT101 on May 29, 2017, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: Gash on May 29, 2017, 12:45:19 PM

We. Want a refund

Genuinely laughed out loud  :D ;D

Me too. Was looking for 'like' button.  :D

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: CainsSon on May 29, 2017, 12:16:59 AM
But that's just one thing. The real reason this film CANNOT BE more than 2 hours is because it R-RATED and has a 100 million dollar budget.
This is why the movie feels rushed. FOX would be wise to invest the money in the franchise's shelf life and not worry about the next film making back its money so much as they worry about getting it right.

Terminator 2 - 102 million - 137 minutes
Gladiator - 103 million - 155 minutes. Non-franchise movie.
American Gangster - 100 million - 158 minutes. Non-franchise movie.
Django Unchained - 100 million - 166 minutes. Non-franchise movie.
The Wolf of Wall Street - 100 million - 179 minutes!. Non-franchise movie.
The Revenant - 135 million - 156 minutes. Non-franchise movie.

lol

lol

Both neos were shot; one in the wheat field, the other by Oram, watch it again.  ::)

Alien³

Quote from: Dan2004 on May 29, 2017, 07:16:57 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing the alleged Xeno/Neo scene which sheds light on what happened to the second Neo. Almost insulting they left the second Neo unexplained. Rookies. Fans are too smart for this cute editing.

It go killed in the wheat field. One characters shoots it and say "got it!" It slumps to the floor trying to escape. It's quick, but it's on screen.

echobbase79

Originally, I think both survived because in the novelization one showed back up at the end to confront Daniels and Lope. It eventually was killed by the Xenomorph in a brutal fight.

Also, from the first test screening the same scene was shot, but without the fight between the two beasts.

Quote from: El Diablo on May 18, 2017, 05:52:09 PM

Ever wonder what happened to the OTHER Neomorph that went scurrying off into the darkness? Well he actually shows up in a short action scene that was only screened in the first cut. It is near the end of the film when Daniels and Lope are outside the Citadel awaiting rescue. They see Tennessee bringing down the landing platform but the second Neomorph makes a surprise appearance and begins charging at them. At that same time the Xenomorph steps out of the Citadel and sees the two in the distance and immediately gives chase from the opposite end. Daniels and Lope begin running for the landing platform, back to back, and firing in opposite directions at both Aliens. If I recall correctly we see the Xenomorph effortlessly dodging bullets mid-stride while Daniels is able to take down the Neomorph with her rifle.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed